Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By yosteve
  • 1 Post By cyberdalek
  • 1 Post By razortaz18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Default I need a keyboard recommendation

I don't like the keyboard that comes with the Nexus,and I don't like Swype. My .apk for Swiftkey has expired and I'd rather find out first if there is a good free choice before I purchase it.

You can try swift key or touch pal.

I encourage people to spend three days with swipe. Especially with the Swype-c for copy, Swype-v for paste, swipe-a for select all. Swipe-5 brings up the keypad (best function) and learn how to capitalize words by swiping up during the word. once you discover its functionality you keep coming back to it
    Loony2nz#AC likes this.

Default Re: I need a keyboard recommendation

I like better keyboard 8.
    It allows you to change the size and color of the keys.
    It isn't free.
    Thanked by:

I hated swype the first 2 times I tried it. Then I decided to use it for a few days (because everyone kept saying it was so good), and now I wont use anything else.

Buying swiftkey would be my other recommendation. Not as good as swype (for me), but it's my second favorite keyboard.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

FlexT9 is awesome keyboard.

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk

I used better keyboard for awhile before I started using ICS. With the G-Nex I started giving swype a real try bc I had tried before and hated it but the responsiveness of the G-Nex works wonderful for me. I do highly recommend Better Keyboard for anyone that dislikes Swype.

Global Posts
    1,565 Global Posts
    ROM

Ugh, I'll go back to Swype, I've tried the stock keyboard, Swiftkey, and Swype for a month each and I still find all 3 do not match up with a hardware keyboard (I came from a Droid OG)

I've literally stopped taking IMs and texts and just call people back immediately

Not to mention I rarely respond to emails anymore unless I can get back to my computer

I heard rumors of the next Nexus reverting back to the slider formfactor and nearly wet my pants

Not a lot would pull me off Verizon but I would have to seriously consider it if that kind of Nexus did come out

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ROM
    Affinity/Franco

I love SwiftKey. I have been using it for about a year now, first on my DX then on my Nexus. I like the way it predicts my phrases and finishes my words. I was lucky and right before I was going to buy it, Amazon had it as a free app of the day. If I had to buy it, I certainly would have. most used app on my phone.
    “There’s always something to look at if you open your eyes!”
    -The Doctor-
    jmorosky likes this.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I would recommend the Swype beta or the new SwiftKey 3 beta. I've loved Swype and used it exclusively on my DX but the new features in SwiftKey 3 make it a close contender.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    ROM
    SHOstock2

Check out Perfect Keyboard, there's a 7 day trial of the full version in the play store and a free version as well I believe. I was a BlackBerry user for 4 years and had trouble with touch typing initially. I grew to love Swype but have recently switched to Perfect Keyboard and love it. Never went back to Swype after downloading the trial, I bought the full version of PK when it ended.

My favorite is smart keyboard pro. I rely on predictions and this keyboard does it for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    KillerQ likes this.

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts

The Swiftkey 3 beta is great. Maybe you could sign up for their VIP service and use that until it comes out?

Either way, I would pay for Swiftkey. Not only is it the best keyboard (IMO), it is good to support the devs of really good apps.

ROM
    stock

I love Swiftkey. Spend the money. Support the devs. You probably spent more for your morning coffee.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Euroskank CM10

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind View Post
    I love Swiftkey. Spend the money. Support the devs. You probably spent more for your morning coffee.
    Lol you're right
    I do love Swiftkey. I willbprobably end up buying their svc. I just can't do Swype.

This is the latest swiftkey3 beta. I think its better than the previous betas. Expires on 6-12.

SwiftKey Beta 3 Updated To 3.0.0.190 – New Tweaks And Enhancements [Download]

I hated the stock keyboard on the Gnex as well. (esp since this is my first touchscreen). I am currently running the Go Keyboard. Its not fancy but it works well enough for me. (Although I might try some of the recommendations listed here

I had Swpe Beta for 3 months and gave up. I love swyping words but it's a real p.i.t.a. when you try to do a work that's not in the dictionary, eg purposely misspelled, abbreviated, websites e-mail addresses etc. Autocomplete is almost impossible to override on a case by case basist slows you down with that, and I know you can turn off autocomplete but then you lose the +'s of autocomplete when it's normal text you are typing.

I'm using Swift Key X trial now. I had to forget that I can't swype keys anymore after swyping became second nature.yet overall I'm finding it easier and faster for the type of work I do: short notes that are heavy on abbreviations, shorthand that only I understand, etc. My problem w/Swift Key is that copy/paste is not easy. You can't just swype c to copy, -v to paste... I finally figured out you need to do long press on words to copy and paste. not as fast, but overall Swift Key has been better for me.

If users of the above think I'm missing something in my technique, please weigh in....to me it's a trade off..nothing is perfect for all personal typing styles.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    This is the latest swiftkey3 beta. I think its better than the previous betas. Expires on 6-12.

SwiftKey Beta 3 Updated To 3.0.0.190 – New Tweaks And Enhancements [Download]
    How long after it expires until they're going to release it? I over this keyboard and don't want to lose it lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've given SwiftKey another chance and it's currently my default keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by asmallchild View Post
    Ugh, I'll go back to Swype, I've tried the stock keyboard, Swiftkey, and Swype for a month each and I still find all 3 do not match up with a hardware keyboard (I came from a Droid OG)

I've literally stopped taking IMs and texts and just call people back immediately

Not to mention I rarely respond to emails anymore unless I can get back to my computer

I heard rumors of the next Nexus reverting back to the slider formfactor and nearly wet my pants

Not a lot would pull me off Verizon but I would have to seriously consider it if that kind of Nexus did come out
    Why didn't you get the Droid 4 or hd or whatever (forgot) with the keyboard.

Global Posts
    1,565 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by yosteve View Post
    Why didn't you get the Droid 4 or hd or whatever (forgot) with the keyboard.
    Felt like too much of a downgrade from the Nexus to get a Droid 4 or a Stratosphere (the only 2 LTE phones with hardware keyboards)

I've used swype, swiftkey x, swiftkey beta, go keyboard and of course the stock keyboard. swiftkey x is my go to, beta is good too, using it now actually. go keyboard or stock if I just want to change it up.

ROM
    Rascream + Trinity kernel

SwiftKey beta. A combination of stock ICS and SwiftKey X.

ROM
    Stock

I really think that I've tried them all.... every one that's been mentioned in this thread. I am currently using GO keyboard (paid). I like it, especially with all the customizations. But I'll always be looking....

Quote Originally Posted by joeperrin2121 View Post
    Where can I get one of the white G1's I've seen in pictures?
    I am thinking hard about switching from by BB8120 to the G1 but I would love to have the white version.

I've been to my Tmo store and they only have the black and bronze colors.

Any ideas?
    Not texting or emailing is as downgrade jk search for an external pocket bluetooth keyboard