Don't trash your GN yet (non-signal issues)

Fa11ou7

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have joined in the waaaah fest a couple times about my Galaxy Nexus so I thought I should post my most recent Awesome experience.

When I first got my GN it would usually go about 14 hours and still have 30% or so at the end of the day. After a few months I was lucky to get over 6 hours on it. I was also plagued with a host of other issues;
  • random restarts
  • random shutdowns
  • toddler phone (woud not sleep)
  • CPU heating up to and over 110 degrees (Fahrenheit) while locked in my pocket or on a phone call
  • frequent app crashes
  • lag
  • battery drain from full to death in under 5hrs

I had just about decided to call Verizon and as for a replacement when I decided to attempt a factory reset. I thought to myself "why not? it couldn't hurt." so this weekend I did a factory data reset from the settings menu. AHHH what did I do bye bye all my texts and.... oh I guess that's it, everything else is in the cloud.
Well its two days later and I'm pretty sure that worked. I'm looking at my battery usage and it is at 21hrs on battery with gauge battery widget saying ~15hrs till drained. So maybe its a little premature, after only 2 days, but going back to factory 4.0.2 seems to have put my GN right. I will admit that my phone is on wifi most of the time and locked but before the reset it would be dead after 6 hrs with the same environment.

So, for those of you that are having major problems like I was and becoming fed up with your GN, try a factory reset before you toss it.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
A factory reset seems to be the default suggestion to all phone issues when you call VZW. Most owners who have gone through a replacement have probably tried this already but good to know it seems to have worked for you. Is it possible it was an app that was causing some of the issues? Have you reinstalled all the apps that you had before the reset?

Regarding losing text messages, you might want to try SMS Backup + in the market. It backs up all your sms to your gmail account. You can even set it to backup on a set schedule. It has worked flawlessly for me on the Nexus. I just created a separate gmail account just for my sms backups.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
You've done exactly the right thing. For most phones, including the GN, almost all complaints about the phone can be traced back to apps not playing well with the phone. This includes problems with radios, wifi and a whole host of other issues. Since ICS is a new version of the OS it has had more than its share of issues with apps.

Most people get a new phone and immediately dump a whole bunch of apps onto the phone and then whine about how the phone had a ton of problems.

Congrats on proving what most of us know intuitively, apps are fun but often create lots of headaches.

BTW, this isn't limited to this phone. I periodically do a factory reset on my Galaxy Tab. And, don't forget to do a reinstall of Windows about once every six months.

If you haven't done a factory reset of your GN in the last 4 months then you are due. Do it now, right after reading this message. You won't be sorry!

Fa11ou7

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you reinstalled all the apps that you had before the reset?

Ohhh HELLS no!

I did come to the conclusion that it was probably an app or 20 that I had installed, which is why I decided to try the reset. I do not plan on installing most of the apps that I had on the phone before. My problem was that I was treating my phone the same way I do my iPad "ohh freebie I better download that so that I can waste a few seconds of my life until i discover that it totally sucks and that is why it was free to begin with!". Apple's vice grip anus hold on their universe seems to avert most of the problems that I have encountered with my GN.

As an excuse for my dumbassery I should also point out that this is my first smart phone.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My main problem has been with the mic cut out issue during calls. I did a factory reset without success. Also got another handset and still had the problem.
In the past three weeks or so I have been re-booting my phone every other day and have not had the mic cut out problem.
The phone is now quite tolerable. Don't know if it is a fresh start, new handshake with the tower or what. Just know that it has kept me from returning the device and given me more patience to wait for the next update.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I've always done a factory reset on my phones. It's usually the first thing I do when I walk out of a Verizon (or where ever I got the phone). I just got my GN Friday, and I haven't it done it to this one yet, but I will. I've dropped a few calls and average -110 dBm signal strength, so maybe this will help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech