GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying what many are saying but I understand their views.

What I'm saying exists on android phones.

android can go back to web page after leaving to go to another app (say take a picture). Web pages don't need to be "running" to be able to come back to it. It's not gonna drain your battery to use cache.

I tried it myself on another android. Watching video online I pause the video, then send a text then go back to the webpage and go back to the video. it's on win mobile, ios and gingerbread but not ics?

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
And again, look how well webOS turned out. Also, I seem to recall lots of people complaining about lag while multitasking on that phone. Quick Google search tells me my memory is correct.
early iteration of webos were slow due to the hardware. the pre2 was as smooth as butter, but it was too late by then. i would kill to have webos cards on android.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
In some situations its not a bad thing, like what you just said where the music pauses so that you can hear the navigation commands.

It doesn't merely pause the audio when a navigation command is spoken. The music will lower in volume slightly, so that the Navigation command can be heard, and then the music volume will increase to the previous level. But the entire time the Navigation command is being spoken, you can still hear the music in the background, and the process is not abrupt, meaning the lowering and increasing of the music is done gradually enough to not be sudden.

This allows me to use Navigation, and listen to Rhapsody at the same time, yet not have my music cut off 100% every time Navigation tells me to make a turn etc. It is implemented very well.

This is clearly real multitasking in a fashion that is useful on a smartphone. That's the beauty of Android, if you want a feature that is not popular, I am sure you can find a custom ROM created by someone of your own ilk that has implemented that feature. You don't even have to create that ROM yourself, there are thousands.

Does BB OS give you that flexibility?

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm not saying what many are saying but I understand their views.

What I'm saying exists on android phones.

android can go back to web page after leaving to go to another app (say take a picture). Web pages don't need to be "running" to be able to come back to it. It's not gonna drain your battery to use cache.

I tried it myself on another android. Watching video online I pause the video, then send a text then go back to the webpage and go back to the video. it's on win mobile, ios and gingerbread but not ics?
I have read this like 10 times and I still can't figure out what you are saying.

ICS has multitasking. I can have up to 30 apps on my Recent Apps list and switch back and forth between those apps and the app will open where it left off, unless the OS needed to close it due to memory management. The OS doesn't usually kill an app in the background unless I open a memory intensive application it those resources are needed.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have read this like 10 times and I still can't figure out what you are saying.

ICS has multitasking. I can have up to 30 apps on my Recent Apps list and switch back and forth between those apps and the app will open where it left off, unless the OS needed to close it due to memory management. The OS doesn't usually kill an app in the background unless I open a memory intensive application it those resources are needed.

Same here... And no offense to OP but how could anybody think swiping apps closes them? It takes two min to figure that out Aback button closes and home pauses maps vary but I am not following the complaint

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay so question. I don't care so much about this because most applications I run I don't need to actually run in the background. However for things like Skype do they stay open in the background? Or if I open a few apps after logging in to Skype is Skype being closed out in the background without my knowledge?

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
i wish the phone multi tasked with youtube at least.

every time i go to youtube to play a specific song, i leave it to go browse or send txt, it stops playing the song. i have to leave youtube open for it to play nonstop. :(

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
i wish the phone multi tasked with youtube at least.

every time i go to youtube to play a specific song, i leave it to go browse or send txt, it stops playing the song. i have to leave youtube open for it to play nonstop. :(

That's not the fault of the OS. I am assuming Google coded the YouTube app to pause the video when you switch apps because since its purpose is to play videos, and it can't display the video if it's not on the screen. Unlike Google Music which Google Coded to continue playing when you switch apps.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
How old is the Palm Pre? That phone had a 500 Mhz CPU and 256mb of RAM yet it can do things that a Quadcore Android can't. You don't think that is an issue?

The one thing that the Pre couldn't do is tempt people to purchase it.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The one thing that the Pre couldn't do is tempt people to purchase it.
many factors go into that. i dont know of anyone that used/bought a pre that didnt think it was awesome, but just had limitations. (hardware mostly)

give me an android with cards!

seriously, i cant express enough how genius the gestures and cards were on webos. the htc one x comes close in terms of usability, but it lacks the application save state of webos.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Imagine how awesome webos would be with the same hardware android devices will have this year? It would be intense.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok using your example. Fire up Pandora and then watch a youtube video in the browser or in the app. The music player will pause so the video can play.

OR start a video and then go to homescreen. The video will pause.

That isn't real multi tasking in my opinion. On the new BlackBerry OS and on the HP touch pad you can have multiple auido sources at once just like you get from a moderen PC. Android it is paused just like iOS. The music will play in the background over certain things (just like iOS), but with the PlayBook the music/video/games whatever never pauses. It just runs no matter what other task you start. Even if you are not focused on a task it runs until you tell it to stop.

That is dependant on your multitasking settings though. You can have it set up to where everything pauses that same as iOS if you want.

It's intelligent multi tasking. Who listens to pandora and youtube at the same time? What would be the purpose of needing both of those apps to work at the same time?

skye206

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I swear people find everything to complain about what phone have has anyone used here that functions better not blackberry not iOS not windows phone be happy with what u have the gnex does everything promised and more if its not enough for u go build your own dam phone and operating system

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

if I'm watching a video on fox.com and I pause it to respond to a text message. Then I return to the browser, I completely lose my place in the episode. It's frustrating as hell.

This is ics multitasking?

On my brother's experia play and his wife's my touch two (both running android) they do this with no problems.

even iphones without multitasking can do this (well not fox.com but in applications)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Not a single point brought up makes any sense since Android's version of Multitasking works fine and better than any other mobile version if coded within the app correctly. Which is rarely the case in most apps atm. People keep stating case sties of an "app" not working but for some reason they say Android is at fault. The freaking function is there the morons coding their apps are at fault.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? lol

Link

A wonderful link to someones made up reality. Nothing in his post can be backed up by any technical truth.

Multitasking has been defined by several technical sources easily found and simply said as 2 or more fully realized applications (not just a single processes or tasks) that can be monitored, logged, and interacted with in real time.

No mobile device OS does this yet period.

Last edited:

icewater106

May 1, 2012
Visit site
A wonderful link to someones made up reality. Nothing in his post can be backed up by any technical truth.

Multitasking has been defined by several technical sources easily found and simply said as 2 or more fully realized applications (not just a single processes or tasks) that can be monitored, logged, and interacted with in real time.

No mobile device OS does this yet period.

Don't the galaxy s3 do it? You ca watch a video and send text

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't the galaxy s3 do it? You ca watch a video and send text

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

That is one special setting can it watch 2 videos at the same time or play a 3dfx game and watch a video at the same time? Still it is just Android's version of multitasking which is great in its own right but still not technically multitasking.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok the PlayBook can output a task to your TV in the background while you use the foreground. For example I can watch a full 1080p movie on my big screen tv that is running in the background of the PlayBook while I watch another movie on the PlayBook's screen. Or I can play games or do anything I want on the PlayBook screen while the movie plays on my TV.

That isn't multitasking? If that isn't multitasking than Android really don't have multitasking. We can go over the definition of real multitasking forever, but the fact remains that bbos and webos both do real/fake/whatever multitasking a lot better than Android can.

*Edit* I have never owned an Android device with HDMI out. I know nexus can do it but I'm not buying the weird attachment so I can try it. I honestly am not sure if it is possible to stream a video playing in the background to your tv with a stock Android device. If it is awesome, but I sure can't get videos to play in the background on my GN so I don't see how it could be possible.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463