GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
So, I hadn't really thought much of it until I read about multitasking fiasco surrounding HTC One X phones today. And I was thinking, even my Galaxy Nexus does that. :(

I open a ES Explorer, navigate a bit, go back to homescreen. Open a few more apps. Then I tap the multitasking button and tap ES Explorer. It doesn't take me to the last directory I was in. Rather, it's like I opened ES Explorer for the first time, including "ES Explorer has been granted superuser privileges" toast notification. Same goes for any other app. So, even my Galaxy Nexus isn't doing any multitasking for real.

Is this just me??

I'm on ICS 4.0.4 IMM76K.
3.0.8-franco-Kernel-Milestone3
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Forget bunch of apps. Even if I open just 3-4 apps and then switch to the first app, nada. It just relaunches.

So don't open 3-4 new apps if you need your place saved in your current one. What else do you want to hear? Sorry?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
So don't open 3-4 new apps if you need your place saved in your current one. What else do you want to hear? Sorry?

Why are you getting so riled up? Next you'll say "Go use a computer if you want multitasking. Phones are for making calls". Chill.

Reactions: KeviiinS

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Why are you getting so riled up? Next you'll say "Go use a computer if you want multitasking. Phones are for making calls". Chill.

Lol you're probably right.. Having an off night right now. I'll leave it be, my bads :)

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Just worked for me... opened 3 new apps then went back to file manager and was right back where I left...
Do you have any of the developer settings turned on to kill apps?
Danny

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no problems. I can go back 29 apps with my multitask button.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
So, I hadn't really thought much of it until I read about multitasking fiasco surrounding HTC One X phones today. And I was thinking, even my Galaxy Nexus does that. :(

Yes, j feel its just you
I open a ES Explorer, navigate a bit, go back to homescreen. Open a few more apps. Then I tap the multitasking button and tap ES Explorer. It doesn't take me to the last directory I was in. Rather, it's like I opened ES Explorer for the first time, including "ES Explorer has been granted superuser privileges" toast notification. Same goes for any other app. So, even my Galaxy Nexus isn't doing any multitasking for real.

Is this just me??

I'm on ICS 4.0.4 IMM76K.
3.0.8-franco-Kernel-Milestone3
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Most likely its es explorer not android. Don't blame android as a whole when their something an app that needs su access in order to work.

Last edited:

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a misunderstanding for most... its not a multitasking button, its a recent apps list... if it was some sort of a task manager then when I swipe Pandora away.... in theory Pandora should stop playing... but it doesn't.

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Android manages active apps and services. every time a new app is loaded, an old one is unloaded from memory (if your memory is full, which android will ensure it almost always is). basically AFAIK android use a first in, first out system. You load apps until the memory is full. when the next app is loaded, android unloads to oldest app(s) to free up just enough space.

some apps are massive, like Opera, any 3D game, and all zynga games. they pretty much force the unloading off all previous apps when loaded (at least on my rooted stock GN).

Now what the GN is loading in that 1GB of RAM is a whole other discussion, and i can't seem to figure it out either.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a misunderstanding for most... its not a multitasking button, its a recent apps list... if it was some sort of a task manager then when I swipe Pandora away.... in theory Pandora should stop playing... but it doesn't.

BUT people with gingerbread don't have a multitasking button and when they home key out of an app and come back to it they're able to click back on the app icon and go back to where they were.

I've posted about this over and over and over and over again. My brothers experia, my sis in law's my touch 2 and my sis's dinc2 all handle multitouch better than ours and ours is a more recent version. ics even boasts about its multitaking ability over iphone yet when I pause angry birds to send a text it takes me back to the level I was on (works on my brother's gingerbread too)

So no you're not the only one, apparently hundreds of people on here either don't care, don't notice or don't need that function.

I myself am waiting for a software update and yes it's not a hardware issue.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's most likely ES Explorer not being able to run in the background, from what I'm understanding. The way that the multitasking in Android works for ICS is that apps will run in the background until you close them in the multitasking/recent apps list. I have no problems when I'm playing Temple Run, open up a whole bunch of other apps, then return to Temple Run. It will even be paused and will pick up right where I left off. I really think it's just the apps capability to run in the background on ICS compared to previous versions of Android, as exampled by yosteve's account.

Reactions: Ry

derichio02

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Android manages active apps and services. every time a new app is loaded, an old one is unloaded from memory (if your memory is full, which android will ensure it almost always is). basically AFAIK android use a first in, first out system. You load apps until the memory is full. when the next app is loaded, android unloads to oldest app(s) to free up just enough space.

some apps are massive, like Opera, any 3D game, and all zynga games. they pretty much force the unloading off all previous apps when loaded (at least on my rooted stock GN).

Now what the GN is loading in that 1GB of RAM is a whole other discussion, and i can't seem to figure it out either.

THIS!!!!

BuffaloMadMan

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I don't think it is the software of the os. I think some apps are not coded correctly or optimized for ICS. Most apps work for me In The multitasking Window and put me where I left off. I find that some apps do not do that which I believe are apps that haven't been optimized or the code is just not correct. If some apps work flawlessly than you have to think it's the apps and not the os.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I don't think it is the software of the os. I think some apps are not coded correctly or optimized for ICS. Most apps work for me In The multitasking Window and put me where I left off. I find that some apps do not do that which I believe are apps that haven't been optimized or the code is just not correct. If some apps work flawlessly than you have to think it's the apps and not the os.

This is correct. I can raise events when my apps lose focus, including killing them. I do that often because with the types of apps I write, I need the user to start at the beginning each time. Often times that is a login page. Because of security, I kill the app as soon as it loses focus.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I disagree, I'll go back and forth between sending a text and surfing on the phones stock native browser and it doesn't work right.

And like I said, gingerbread handles it better so maybe they should have worked on it more prior to release and the fact that multitasking was used in their publication makes it sting more.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I opened ES file explorer, navigated through a few directories, hit the home button, opened go sms, hit the home button, opened my alarm app, hit the home button, opened the play store, hit the home button, then hit the task button, then ES file explorer, and I was in the same directory where I left off.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
i was extremely disappointed with the multitasking of this phone. i was under the impression it was going to be very webos-like. its not. if it ever gets to be like that, it will be perfect.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I never really noticed the problem with ICS multitasking until reading this and testing the scenarios myself. Yep it definetly behaves differently than gingerbread does.

Also, I don't like the recent apps button. The fact that swiping it don't close running apps is just annyoing to me. I have a PlayBook and with it when we swipe away it closes the app. So I am just used to it being that way.

I will say that the PlayBook is the greatest example of ridiculous multi tasking ever made. For fun I had all 4 Angry Birds games running at the same time as one browser tab playing Pandora and another tab playing a Youtube video. Six different audio sources at once and you can hear all of them garbaled up together and you can flip through and watch everything running lag free. Lol it is completely useless and you will never need all of that running at once, but it is pretty awesome that you can do it. Android you can't even have true tab multitasking (that I have found at least). Not knocking Android, just wish it had amazing multitasking like the new BlackBerry OS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet