Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    bagarwa's Avatar

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    So, I hadn't really thought much of it until I read about multitasking fiasco surrounding HTC One X phones today. And I was thinking, even my Galaxy Nexus does that.

    I open a ES Explorer, navigate a bit, go back to homescreen. Open a few more apps. Then I tap the multitasking button and tap ES Explorer. It doesn't take me to the last directory I was in. Rather, it's like I opened ES Explorer for the first time, including "ES Explorer has been granted superuser privileges" toast notification. Same goes for any other app. So, even my Galaxy Nexus isn't doing any multitasking for real.

    Is this just me??

    I'm on ICS 4.0.4 IMM76K.
    3.0.8-franco-Kernel-Milestone3
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  2. #2  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Open a bunch of apps and earlier ones get closed. News flash? Lol.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    bagarwa's Avatar

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Open a bunch of apps and earlier ones get closed. News flash? Lol.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Forget bunch of apps. Even if I open just 3-4 apps and then switch to the first app, nada. It just relaunches.
  4. #4  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bagarwa View Post
    Forget bunch of apps. Even if I open just 3-4 apps and then switch to the first app, nada. It just relaunches.
    So don't open 3-4 new apps if you need your place saved in your current one. What else do you want to hear? Sorry?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    bagarwa's Avatar

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    So don't open 3-4 new apps if you need your place saved in your current one. What else do you want to hear? Sorry?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Why are you getting so riled up? Next you'll say "Go use a computer if you want multitasking. Phones are for making calls". Chill.
    Thanked by:
    eric3316 likes this.
  6. #6  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bagarwa View Post
    Why are you getting so riled up? Next you'll say "Go use a computer if you want multitasking. Phones are for making calls". Chill.
    Lol you're probably right.. Having an off night right now. I'll leave it be, my bads

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. #7  

    Default

    Just worked for me... opened 3 new apps then went back to file manager and was right back where I left...
    Do you have any of the developer settings turned on to kill apps?
    Danny
  8. #8  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default

    I have no problems. I can go back 29 apps with my multitask button.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  9. #9  
    chubb's Avatar

    Posts
    874 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bagarwa View Post
    So, I hadn't really thought much of it until I read about multitasking fiasco surrounding HTC One X phones today. And I was thinking, even my Galaxy Nexus does that.

    Yes, j feel its just you
    I open a ES Explorer, navigate a bit, go back to homescreen. Open a few more apps. Then I tap the multitasking button and tap ES Explorer. It doesn't take me to the last directory I was in. Rather, it's like I opened ES Explorer for the first time, including "ES Explorer has been granted superuser privileges" toast notification. Same goes for any other app. So, even my Galaxy Nexus isn't doing any multitasking for real.

    Is this just me??

    I'm on ICS 4.0.4 IMM76K.
    3.0.8-franco-Kernel-Milestone3
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Most likely its es explorer not android. Don't blame android as a whole when their something an app that needs su access in order to work.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by chubb; 05-15-2012 at 09:03 PM.
  10. #10  

    Default

    I think this is a misunderstanding for most... its not a multitasking button, its a recent apps list... if it was some sort of a task manager then when I swipe Pandora away.... in theory Pandora should stop playing... but it doesn't.
    bagarwa likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Android manages active apps and services. every time a new app is loaded, an old one is unloaded from memory (if your memory is full, which android will ensure it almost always is). basically AFAIK android use a first in, first out system. You load apps until the memory is full. when the next app is loaded, android unloads to oldest app(s) to free up just enough space.

    some apps are massive, like Opera, any 3D game, and all zynga games. they pretty much force the unloading off all previous apps when loaded (at least on my rooted stock GN).

    Now what the GN is loading in that 1GB of RAM is a whole other discussion, and i can't seem to figure it out either.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
    I think this is a misunderstanding for most... its not a multitasking button, its a recent apps list... if it was some sort of a task manager then when I swipe Pandora away.... in theory Pandora should stop playing... but it doesn't.
    BUT people with gingerbread don't have a multitasking button and when they home key out of an app and come back to it they're able to click back on the app icon and go back to where they were.

    I've posted about this over and over and over and over again. My brothers experia, my sis in law's my touch 2 and my sis's dinc2 all handle multitouch better than ours and ours is a more recent version. ics even boasts about its multitaking ability over iphone yet when I pause angry birds to send a text it takes me back to the level I was on (works on my brother's gingerbread too)

    So no you're not the only one, apparently hundreds of people on here either don't care, don't notice or don't need that function.

    I myself am waiting for a software update and yes it's not a hardware issue.
  13. #13  
    davidsnoodles's Avatar

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Bugless Beast

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    It's most likely ES Explorer not being able to run in the background, from what I'm understanding. The way that the multitasking in Android works for ICS is that apps will run in the background until you close them in the multitasking/recent apps list. I have no problems when I'm playing Temple Run, open up a whole bunch of other apps, then return to Temple Run. It will even be paused and will pick up right where I left off. I really think it's just the apps capability to run in the background on ICS compared to previous versions of Android, as exampled by yosteve's account.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  14. #14  
    derichio02's Avatar

    Posts
    140 Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharged

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somnambulator View Post
    Android manages active apps and services. every time a new app is loaded, an old one is unloaded from memory (if your memory is full, which android will ensure it almost always is). basically AFAIK android use a first in, first out system. You load apps until the memory is full. when the next app is loaded, android unloads to oldest app(s) to free up just enough space.

    some apps are massive, like Opera, any 3D game, and all zynga games. they pretty much force the unloading off all previous apps when loaded (at least on my rooted stock GN).

    Now what the GN is loading in that 1GB of RAM is a whole other discussion, and i can't seem to figure it out either.
    THIS!!!!

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    To be honest I don't think it is the software of the os. I think some apps are not coded correctly or optimized for ICS. Most apps work for me In The multitasking Window and put me where I left off. I find that some apps do not do that which I believe are apps that haven't been optimized or the code is just not correct. If some apps work flawlessly than you have to think it's the apps and not the os.
  16. #16  
    NickA's Avatar

    Posts
    1,297 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloMadMan View Post
    To be honest I don't think it is the software of the os. I think some apps are not coded correctly or optimized for ICS. Most apps work for me In The multitasking Window and put me where I left off. I find that some apps do not do that which I believe are apps that haven't been optimized or the code is just not correct. If some apps work flawlessly than you have to think it's the apps and not the os.
    This is correct. I can raise events when my apps lose focus, including killing them. I do that often because with the types of apps I write, I need the user to start at the beginning each time. Often times that is a login page. Because of security, I kill the app as soon as it loses focus.
    eric3316 and chevyman29 like this.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloMadMan View Post
    To be honest I don't think it is the software of the os. I think some apps are not coded correctly or optimized for ICS. Most apps work for me In The multitasking Window and put me where I left off. I find that some apps do not do that which I believe are apps that haven't been optimized or the code is just not correct. If some apps work flawlessly than you have to think it's the apps and not the os.
    I disagree, I'll go back and forth between sending a text and surfing on the phones stock native browser and it doesn't work right.

    And like I said, gingerbread handles it better so maybe they should have worked on it more prior to release and the fact that multitasking was used in their publication makes it sting more.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    I opened ES file explorer, navigated through a few directories, hit the home button, opened go sms, hit the home button, opened my alarm app, hit the home button, opened the play store, hit the home button, then hit the task button, then ES file explorer, and I was in the same directory where I left off.
    biggbrother2 likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    i was extremely disappointed with the multitasking of this phone. i was under the impression it was going to be very webos-like. its not. if it ever gets to be like that, it will be perfect.
  20. #20  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    I never really noticed the problem with ICS multitasking until reading this and testing the scenarios myself. Yep it definetly behaves differently than gingerbread does.

    Also, I don't like the recent apps button. The fact that swiping it don't close running apps is just annyoing to me. I have a PlayBook and with it when we swipe away it closes the app. So I am just used to it being that way.

    I will say that the PlayBook is the greatest example of ridiculous multi tasking ever made. For fun I had all 4 Angry Birds games running at the same time as one browser tab playing Pandora and another tab playing a Youtube video. Six different audio sources at once and you can hear all of them garbaled up together and you can flip through and watch everything running lag free. Lol it is completely useless and you will never need all of that running at once, but it is pretty awesome that you can do it. Android you can't even have true tab multitasking (that I have found at least). Not knocking Android, just wish it had amazing multitasking like the new BlackBerry OS.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Quote Originally Posted by Saiga View Post
    I never really noticed the problem with ICS multitasking until reading this and testing the scenarios myself. Yep it definetly behaves differently than gingerbread does.

    Also, I don't like the recent apps button. The fact that swiping it don't close running apps is just annyoing to me. I have a PlayBook and with it when we swipe away it closes the app. So I am just used to it being that way.

    I will say that the PlayBook is the greatest example of ridiculous multi tasking ever made. For fun I had all 4 Angry Birds games running at the same time as one browser tab playing Pandora and another tab playing a Youtube video. Six different audio sources at once and you can hear all of them garbaled up together and you can flip through and watch everything running lag free. Lol it is completely useless and you will never need all of that running at once, but it is pretty awesome that you can do it. Android you can't even have true tab multitasking (that I have found at least). Not knocking Android, just wish it had amazing multitasking like the new BlackBerry OS.
    That is impressive
  22. #22  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Actually to say it doesn't do multitasking isn't entirely true. Fire up a music player and then go ahead do something else on the phone. The music should continue playing, thus it's multitasking. To be fair, I've seen this problem when I was on stock 4.0.2 before, in particular the browser would keep reloading, but it's been very minimal after flashing CM9 nightlies. I also use Chrome which doesn't seem to have this problem.

    Otherwise, I haven't had too many encounters with redraws or app restarts when using the recent tasks button. Just tried launching and playing Angry birds, switching to Messaging to send a SMS, and then switched back to where I was in Angry Birds. ES File Explorer worked fine for me as well. Again it could be a result of CM9...I can't be definitive on that.
  23. #23  
    Saiga's Avatar

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    Actually to say it doesn't do multitasking isn't entirely true. Fire up a music player and then go ahead do something else on the phone. The music should continue playing, thus it's multitasking.
    Ok using your example. Fire up Pandora and then watch a youtube video in the browser or in the app. The music player will pause so the video can play.

    OR start a video and then go to homescreen. The video will pause.

    That isn't real multi tasking in my opinion. On the new BlackBerry OS and on the HP touch pad you can have multiple auido sources at once just like you get from a moderen PC. Android it is paused just like iOS. The music will play in the background over certain things (just like iOS), but with the PlayBook the music/video/games whatever never pauses. It just runs no matter what other task you start. Even if you are not focused on a task it runs until you tell it to stop.

    That is dependant on your multitasking settings though. You can have it set up to where everything pauses that same as iOS if you want.
    Last edited by Saiga; 05-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    At the bottom of { } Developer options is three adjustments for Apps. Mine are unchecked.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: GNex doesn't do multitasking either, for real

    Just alittle F.Y.I. on multitasking and Android. Android does not support multitasking in real terms it does multitasking in marketing terms. To explain: Android can not run 2 or more tasks in the "foreground" in real time. I can hot switch between saved points within certain apps that support it. So you can quote the marketing points of multitasking that most have been fooled into believing but you will not enjoy real multitasking within Android at this current point in time. Some apps can even run in the "background" and nearly function as they do in the "foreground" again just fake multitasking.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B