VZW Gnex support VoLTE

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site
The big scare about Verizon new plans happened earlier but something I'm not seeing anyone talking about is the line in there at the end about VZW supporting VoLTE. Will our Nexus support that, if so can we turn off the CDMA radio entirely saving battery. Also how will non circuit switched call minutes be billed on a Packet network. Will the call data and minutes be separate from the non call data going over LTE?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The big scare about Verizon new plans happened earlier but something I'm not seeing anyone talking about is the line in there at the end about VZW supporting VoLTE. Will our Nexus support that, if so can we turn off the CDMA radio entirely saving battery. Also how will non circuit switched call minutes be billed on a Packet network. Will the call data and minutes be separate from the non call data going over LTE?

I don't think this phone supports VoLTE. If that was the case then there wouldn't be a need for the CDMA radio. Unless I am mistaken on that part. But I am pretty sure this phone doesn't support VoLTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what the difference is between VoIP and this new VoLTE. Because presently I use GooveIP over LTE all the time without issue and I am not billed any differently than using Data in general. So I am abit confused why to even consider using this new product if it is just a new way to bill for something alrdy used without billing.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Isnt VoLTE just moving what freq the calls are riding on? There is no real difference other than it isnt CDMA. As far as the Nexus' support for it, it would take a software update to tell the phone to use the LTE radio for voice instead of the CDMA one.

alee

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
VoLTE is effectively voice over IP -- there is no circuit switching or channels. Your phone gets an IPv6 address and makes calls using the same path as your LTE data connection. No official word yet, but all indications seem to be that you would need new hardware to do that. The primary reason is lack of LTE saturation, which then requires some fancy footwork to get your calls to hand off from 4G to 3G to 4G again without dropping. Not trivial.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this phone supports VoLTE. If that was the case then there wouldn't be a need for the CDMA radio. Unless I am mistaken on that part. But I am pretty sure this phone doesn't support VoLTE.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

it has a cdma radio because if it did not it wouldn't be much use as a phone currently...volte is not active yet, so you need cdma to make calls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress