I'm calling it

Monkey Pi

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Time of death 3:14 pm CST, 5/24/12. Despite some valiant efforts by a small group to defend the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, owners have finally joined Verizon, Google, and Samsung and quietly moved on from this phone. The news was anticipated after a front page article on AndroidCentral.com about a rumored rollout of the long anticipated 4.0.4 update fell off the front page with a paltry 26 comments, nearly none of which indicated a pressing interest or belief that the update would happen. The rumored rollout did not even merit it's own thread in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus forum.

In other news, I've got $50 that says this thing never sees OTA Jellybean.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I would put the percentage of Nexus owners who have rooted down at around 5%.

In fact, I would say only about 10% have ever even heard of rooting. This is not the "developer phone" customer base anymore, this was the top Android phone on Verizon, so they sold a ton to regular, non-Android-Central-visiting, customers.

Many of us got a Nexus so that it would have most of the benefits of being rooted without needing to root or ROM. Been there, done that, just don't have the energy or time to mess with that anymore. I may end up doing it out of necessity if my radios get worse, but that would be only if I got too frustrated.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I would put the percentage of Nexus owners who have rooted down at around 5%.

In fact, I would say only about 10% have ever even heard of rooting. This is not the "developer phone" customer base anymore, this was the top Android phone on Verizon, so they sold a ton to regular, non-Android-Central-visiting, customers.

Many of us got a Nexus so that it would have most of the benefits of being rooted without needing to root or ROM. Been there, done that, just don't have the energy or time to mess with that anymore. I may end up doing it out of necessity if my radios get worse, but that would be only if I got too frustrated.

It is a developer phone, that's the point of a Nexus. And every single one of them was the top of the line Android phone when released.

Reactions: SOTK and ConTejas

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Time of death 3:14 pm CST, 5/24/12. Despite some valiant efforts by a small group to defend the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, owners have finally joined Verizon, Google, and Samsung and quietly moved on from this phone. The news was anticipated after a front page article on AndroidCentral.com about a rumored rollout of the long anticipated 4.0.4 update fell off the front page with a paltry 26 comments, nearly none of which indicated a pressing interest or belief that the update would happen. The rumored rollout did not even merit it's own thread in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus forum.

If I thought you'd actually pay I'd take you on that bet in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I have a Verizon, Galaxy Nexus and I expect an update without me having to mess with the phone in any way

And you will get it. Sorry it's not at as fast as you'd like. Thems the breaks, kid.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

So you don't have the time or energy to take an hour or 2 (mostly spent on reading instructions) to experience awesomeness? OK

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
What blows my mind is all these people complaining about the phone not working right but they won't spend literally 30 minutes run the utility that does all the work for them that unlocks and roots the phone. Then read a quick tutorial on this site flash AOKP or whatever and done. Leave the ROM completely stock and you're pretty much where Verizon would put you when they released the update.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So you don't have the time or energy to take an hour or 2 (mostly spent on reading instructions) to experience awesomeness? OK

Not they don't have an hour. They do however have 5 months to whine about it in tech forums. Weird huh? :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll pay. When do I get paid, though? What's your cutoff point on never?
;)

What's yours? You would be the one making unfounded, dubious guesses that most of us know are not true.. So you tell me how this plays out in your fantasy :)

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I would hate to see a pie chart (no pun Monkey) that shows % of all android phone sales including Nexus. We are but a small piece of the pi

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
For the record, there is nothing wrong with my phone or it's radio so I am not whining. I still expect to receive updates without having to mess with the phone especially while under warranty.

Reactions: radgatt

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
And would your unfounded, dubious guesses have pegged that 6 months in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would be the only phone on the lowest version out of any officially supported ICS device? Read again that my bet is OTA Jellybean and let me know if you're still interested.

No, I am honestly somewhat surprised its taken this long for verizon to approve the OTA (which, let's clarify, they haven't been testing for 6 months.. More like 2ish).. But again it has no effect on me because I got this phone never intending to have to wait for OTA's.

Having said that.. Re-reading your words, Yes I will accept your bet, which is that this phone never receives a Jellybean OTA. I will in fact guarantee that it will, and I'm sure it will be the last Galaxy Nexus to have it pushed, lol.

On the flip side, you can take any other phone available right now that isn't a nexus and I will also guarantee that they will NEVER get Jellybean officially.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
What about the people that don't want or care about rooting there phone don't they have a right to have a phone that works or at least gets updates quickly. I mean you shouldn't have to root your phone to make it work the way it should out of the box.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Reactions: jroc

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
What about the people that don't want or care about rooting there phone don't they have a right to have a phone that works or at least gets updates quickly. I mean you shouldn't have to root your phone to make it work the way it should out of the box.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Said people probably should have exchanged their defective phones ages ago rather than sit idly by and hope everything gets fixed with an update. They could have exchanged them for another Nexus to see if the first one was defective, or for another phone altogether. If they did not do that.. then they decided to sit and wait for an update, and decided they were not going to unlock and do things on their own... 2 decisions. Nobody in the forums should feel bad for anyone who had options and made poor decisions. You have only yourself to blame if you're sitting on your hands with a phone that doesn't work the way you want it to. That's life. Don't sit by and think the world will take care of you, most of the time you'll end up SOL and very disappointed.

Reactions: jroc

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Why would it have its own thread when it's the same update that was leaked weeks ago?

And re: your Rezound analogy ==> the difference is devs support this greater than any other device out there atm. So if your point is that the forum, and viz a viz that, the community dies, that's an odd thing considering how massive the GN community is. I don't buy that claim for a second.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney