Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So, how do we get Samsung/Google to enable Bluetooth 4.0?

As many of you know, the hardware in our beloved (or at least mine is; YMMV -- let's not get into it) GNex is fully compliant with the Bluetooth 4.0 spec. Which is cool, because it seems like every day a nifty device is coming out that relies on BT4 (see: Pebble, Casio's Smart G-Shock, the cookoo, tod, that cool HTC StereoClip, etc, etc).

Unfortunately, we also know that somebody -- Samsung, Broadcom, or Google, it's not clear who -- just can't be bothered to supply a driver to make the GNex actually capable of using BT4.0.

Which. Blows.

So, who does a fella have to blow (couldn't resist) to get the PTB to listen and get some BT4 support on this phone?? I want a smartwatch, dammit. Suggestions? code.android submissions? Change.org? National TV spot? I'm all ears.

(And let's please save OT "are smartwatches worth it?" stuff for another thread, please. There are other uses. This is about support for the emerging spec, not particular uses. Thanks!)

Default Re: So, how do we get Samsung/Google to enable Bluetooth 4.0?

You have a point. If I remember correctly, the GNex and iPhone 4S have exactly the same Bluetooth chipset. The iPhone 4S does support Bluetooth 4.0. Not a lot of stuff takes advantage of it yet, so there are not many immediate advantages to having it on your phone, except perhaps power saving. In the next year, however, we are going to see a lot more stuff support Bluetooth 4.0.

For Bluetooth 4.0 to be supported in Android,I think Google would have to update the Bluetooth stack in AOSP (unless an OEM included it in a skinned version of Android). Regardless, I'm pretty confident Bluetooth 4.0 will be supported in the next version of Android, Jellybean. The next Nexus phone (or phones) will definitely have it and we might see it on the GNex with the next version update.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, my understanding is that ICS already supports 4.0 in the BT stack. The problem is that there isnt a driver for the chipset in the builds. I'll dig up the threads on the iFixIt tear downs that discussed this. It was a couple weeks ago that I really looked into it.
    Last edited by Revolutionary; 05-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post
    Well, my understanding is that ICS already supports 4.0 in the BT stack. The problem is that there isnt driver a driver for the chipset in the builds. I'll dig up the threads on the iFixIt tear downs that discussed this. It was a couple weeks ago that I really looked into it.
    I've wondered about this since I saw the GNex specs and that it had the same BT chip set as the iPhone 4S. Is it just a driver for the BT chipset then? It begs the eternal question: why don't they add it?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Darn it, I can't find the thread (I thought it was on xda...) where people were opining that it was either Broadcom or Samsung who just needed to update the driver. Anybody know what I'm talking about??

I thought I saw where some one updated it for their rom. Look up avrcp 1.3 for the gnex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    I thought I saw where some one updated it for their rom. Look up avrcp 1.3 for the gnex.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Is AVRCP 1.3 the same as "BT4.0"? Does that give you access to the low-power profile? That's the one you need for the smartwatches, etc. (I obviously don't know enough about BT).

EDIT: It looks like AVCRP 1.3 is in the AOKP 32. But it doesn't have the low-energy profile.

If only we could get some kind of feedback from Google or Samsung.

I recently bought a "Bluetooth smart ready" Samsung Galaxy S3 - and it does not work.

I have tried out in Android 4.0.4 but it cant find the shared library (see )

For Android to have any chance to become developers preferred development platform they really have to sort stuff like this out ...

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by MogensH View Post
    If only we could get some kind of feedback from Google or Samsung.

I recently bought a "Bluetooth smart ready" Samsung Galaxy S3 - and it does not work.

I have tried out in Android 4.0.4 but it cant find the shared library (see )

For Android to have any chance to become developers preferred development platform they really have to sort stuff like this out ...
    I think this type of thing falls on the phone manufacturer. Google, can't force the development or use of features. No more so than Microsoft can require PC makers to use specific chips.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I created a feature request issue for this at code.google.com. Please star it!

Thanked by 2:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

bump -- star this issue, folks!

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post
    bump -- star this issue, folks!
    Added my star!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    Added my star!
    As did I.

I think that Bluetooth 4.0 has been somewhat overlooked (or at least overshadowed) in recent Android devices in favor of NFC, simply due to the novelty and more vocal interest/demand by smartphone (smartdevice?) enthusiasts.

Starred! (Sorry if this is a double post)
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ttt

Starred by me also...

ROM
    CM10 | Stock 4.2.1

Any changes in JB?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by goander View Post
    Any changes in JB?
    Good question. Haven't seen anything. Probably worth asking in the GSM forum (on my way).

I know there is a 4.0.4 ROM on the XDA forums that supports this. I just bought a Ford that uses the Bluetooth Message Access Profile, and would love to have this working.

Has anyone tried the XDA ROM? Im kinda dreading having to start hacking my phone but ill do it if I have to.

Global Posts
    1,724 Global Posts

Have a link to XDA? It's hard to search for this with ICS being 4.0 aswell.

Starred!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Bump!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ttt

Write an open-source stack for it.
    /thread
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Write an open-source stack for it.
    /thread
    I'd be delighted to if I had any idea how. My cookoo is going to arrive any week now...

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB 7/19 build

I was just trying to find this thread yesterday. Come on smart people unite!!!
    Nexus running .............
    Coming from a 2 1/2 year old BB Tour
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast