OK, I'm now sold on screen protectors

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I hated screen protectors. With a passion. They're hard to put on, they get bubbles, start to peel, distort the screen, blah, blah, blah. I've tried matte, I've tried glossy, I've tried them all. Hate them, just hate them!

Then a change occurred. I was at the Verizon store in Santa Clara, CA getting my daughter her Nexus. My wife, who also has a Nexus, says to the guy, "how much are screen protectors?" Sigh, I think, they're probably $30 each at the Verizon store plus they never look good.

He says, "they're $15 for 3 but you have a corporate discount account so it'll be under $12." Wait, what? He adds, "And I can put it on for you for no charge and we guarantee you'll like it." Wait, what? This I gotta see. My daughter says, "Can you put one of them on mine too?" "Sure," he says, no extra charge.

So, after she gets her phone he starts his work. It literally takes him more than 10 minutes to prep the phone and protector. He uses a micro fiber cloth to clean the screen, this takes a long time. He uses compressed air to blow off the dust. He uses tape to take off the dust. Then he peels off the back of the screen protector and spends a couple of minutes with tape taking off any dust. After carefully applying it to the phone he massages it with a stiff card wrapped with cloth.

I was stunned at the result. The result is amazing. It's impossible to tell there's a screen protector on the phone unless you're looking for it. No distortion, no bubbles, nothing. It's as good as a naked phone. I immediately had him put one on my phone.

I've had this on my phone for weeks now and it still looks as good as the day I got it.

I'm now sold on screen protectors and for a mere $4 each plus free labor to install it I'll never go without one again.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I hated screen protectors. With a passion. They're hard to put on, they get bubbles, start to peel, distort the screen, blah, blah, blah. I've tried matte, I've tried glossy, I've tried them all. Hate them, just hate them!

Then a change occurred. I was at the Verizon store in Santa Clara, CA getting my daughter her Nexus. My wife, who also has a Nexus, says to the guy, "how much are screen protectors?" Sigh, I think, they're probably $30 each at the Verizon store plus they never look good.

He says, "they're $15 for 3 but you have a corporate discount account so it'll be under $12." Wait, what? He adds, "And I can put it on for you for no charge and we guarantee you'll like it." Wait, what? This I gotta see. My daughter says, "Can you put one of them on mine too?" "Sure," he says, no extra charge.

So, after she gets her phone he starts his work. It literally takes him more than 10 minutes to prep the phone and protector. He uses a micro fiber cloth to clean the screen, this takes a long time. He uses compressed air to blow off the dust. He uses tape to take off the dust. Then he peels off the back of the screen protector and spends a couple of minutes with tape taking off any dust. After carefully applying it to the phone he massages it with a stiff card wrapped with cloth.

I was stunned at the result. The result is amazing. It's impossible to tell there's a screen protector on the phone unless you're looking for it. No distortion, no bubbles, nothing. It's as good as a naked phone. I immediately had him put one on my phone.

I've had this on my phone for weeks now and it still looks as good as the day I got it.

I'm now sold on screen protectors and for a mere $4 each plus free labor to install it I'll never go without one again.

You must have had someone who knew what they were doing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
You must have had someone who knew what they were doing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

We did. The next day we went back for a protector for daughter #2. To our dismay the guy wasn't there. Turns out another guy did just as good a job as the first guy. So, I know there are at least 2 people that take pride in their work.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

As a VZW shareholder I find this totally wrong. Time spent without a reasonable return and no chance to sell you a replacement phone after you scratch your screen. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Verizon 3 pak and put it on myself when I got home. Spent a minute wiping the screen clean with the microfiber cloth, then about 1 minute applying the protector and smoothing it out with the plastic thingy it comes with. Looks great and almost 6 months later looks as good as the day I applied it, no bubbles, peeling, etc. No problem :)

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
In california they specialize in that crap, microfiber towel and all. You should see them put a protector on something big like an iPad; it's like a work of art.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As a VZW shareholder I find this totally wrong. Time spent without a reasonable return and no chance to sell you a replacement phone after you scratch your screen. :rolleyes:

Really...

Look at the big picture. All these folks going in the store to get a screen protector put on have 10 or 20 minutes to look around the store and will likely buy some other sort of accessory, or maybe even an upgraded handset.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I mention this in another thread earlier today too..

Whenever I put on screen protectors, they bubble or whatever...My brother has his done at the verizon store too, and they put it on PERFECTLY. It was the same 3 pack.. However, I hate the way the verizon store screen protector makes the screen look.. It's like you can see the individual RGB leds (most noticeable on white).. get your laptop monitor a little wet.. It kind of reminds me of that.. It irrates the crap out of me when I use his phone..

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
when I bought my Gnex Dec 15th I bought the 3 pack of protectors and the sales person offered to have someone in back install it. Long story short, they went through all three to get one to look good. I asked if I had to pay for the two they sacrificed in order to get one on and they would not give me a price break. The protector was terrible. I know better ones exist. I ordered a set from Amazon for the Gnex and they came wrong size. Arrrrg!

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Just wait a month or so. Your screen will be so greasy. I keep mine protected but its still looks greasy.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Every VZW store, that I have ever been to has offered to put on my screen protectors for me except for one. One of them refuses because they say that the store manager has forbidden it because he received complaints from some customers about them. I guess at that store a few customers ruined it for everyone else.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Protectors can be grease magnets, but your screen without one will be a scratch magnet... so pick your poison, lol. I rather wipe mine clean with my sleeve or whatever a couple times a day than have to deal with scratches :)

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have found that just taking good care of my phone has stopped 99% of all scratches over the passed 20 years. Between all the devices I have and had the Galaxy Nexus is the least finger print prone than any other device. My TF-101 with the gorilla glass can't be touched without leaving snail trails all over the place.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Back when I got my Samsung Omina, they put on a protector for me. I was SHOCKED how quickly and perfectly the guy put it on.

I now do my own wet protectors, as they stay put, but it's a big (realtively) time investment. I sit in my steamy bathroom and slowly take the time to do it perfectly.

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
i put the 3 pack on myself. had it perfect until a piece of dirt got onto the protector which I can't get off, so I got a little tiny tiny bump. I couldn't take my eyes off it the first few weeks but I don't even notice it anything until I read this thread.

as for the grease and, you get that on the screen w/ or w/o a screen protector. not sure what the complaint is all about.

VzwManagerKatrina

May 27, 2012
Visit site
This makes me happy. As a Manager of a Verizon store, I take HUGE pride in these type of stories. I, too, offer to apply screen protectors, and yes, they are $15 for 3 w/out a discount.

The microfiber cloths, and sanitizing foam screen cleaner can be had for around $20 so you won't need to worry about greasy finger prints and/or makeup on your phone.

bebbles

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I buy screen protectors for $0.89 shipped from eBay. They come with 1, 2, or 3 protectors and little cloths. Its not very hard to put them on, you wipe and make sure that there is no dust when you lay it down; or else they turn into the bubbles. A stiff card is handy but not completely necessary. Just take a couple minutes of your time and you can save some money! :p

And yes, these things have saved me a million times!!

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
That's funny I had a decent salesman but he didn't bother with any of that and gave me bubbles and dirt with my protector I lived with it and when I changed it I did better myself .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC