Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Default WiFi Tether and Phone Call Surprise

I didn't think the GNex would allow tethering and a phone call at one time. I was pleasantly surprised tonight to discover that I could continue browsing Android Central on my computer while chatting with my wife.

Is anyone else surprised or am I just late in getting the memo?

Steve in CT

4g allows voice and data at the same time so it makes sense. I also tried it out a while back. Talked on the phone while watching slingbox on ipad that was tethered to phone via wifi.

If you are on 3G connection on your phone, I don't believe it works. Your data will cut out for the phone call.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Spoken Word™

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Default Re: WiFi Tether and Phone Call Surprise

Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz View Post
    4g allows voice and data at the same time so it makes sense. I also tried it out a while back. Talked on the phone while watching slingbox on ipad that was tethered to phone via wifi.

If you are on 3G connection on your phone, I don't believe it works. Your data will cut out for the phone call.

You are correct. LTE is data only so you're able to use it while voice goes over the CDMA network. You can't do simultaneous voice & data via 3G.
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

For some reason I thought only the thunderbolt allowed voice and data at the same time. I don't have LTE at home, so I wouldn't have had the opportunity to try it before now.

Steve

Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: WiFi Tether and Phone Call Surprise

If you weren't connected to LTE, then you must have been connected to Wi-Fi. The Verizon Nexus doesn't have the hardware for simultaneous voice and data over 3G.

Unless you're saying you were on 4G and I'm misinterpreting your post.