Work email forces pin lock screen any way around it?

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,
My work recently implemented a new policy where the phone must be unlocked if using the exchange server email. My issue with it is I now loose my slide to unlock to the camera or other options based on the roms. Is there anyway around it?

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
If you know the IT staff, you can ask them to give you a different exchange policy. so as not to force the Pin Lock. They can have multiple policies, just depends on what they want.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you know the IT staff, you can ask them to give you a different exchange policy. so as not to force the Pin Lock. They can have multiple policies, just depends on what they want.

This, however unless you are in the IT department yourself it may not be very likely that they do that. If you work in a medical field like my business does, HIPPA policies require security features like that to be implemented on devices that could potentially hold any type of electronic patient health information. Many other businesses follow the same guidelines.

Short answer, unless you have a lax IT staff there is no way around it short of removing your corporate email from your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
If you value your job, and want corporate email on your phone keep the pattern lock.

just saying......

I wouldn't mind a pattern lock so much but they force either a password or a pin. Its not a big deal. Some android users with sense at work have not been forced yet to make a screen lock which I believe has to do with sense some how.

LabRat

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My company requires a password, minimum of eight characters and at least one number.
I installed the Swype keyboard and added qwertyu8 to the personal dictionary.
I can unlock my phone with a simple swipe from q to i.

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My company requires a password, minimum of eight characters and at least one number.
I installed the Swype keyboard and added qwertyu8 to the personal dictionary.
I can unlock my phone with a simple swipe from q to i.

Mine has that same limitation. Your IT dept can also wipe your phone in the event of loss of termination.

I'm in the IT dept and can't get the pin lock thing removed. The VP and head of IT can't even get it removed, so I doubt they will remove it for you.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine has that same limitation. Your IT dept can also wipe your phone in the event of loss of termination.

I'm in the IT dept and can't get the pin lock thing removed. The VP and head of IT can't even get it removed, so I doubt they will remove it for you.

Ahh that sux. Oh well thought it was worth a try. Thanks for all the comments. Its better to have it up because it syncs my calendar and contacts. Thx again all .

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
You should note that your work likely has the power to remote wipe your phone and is an administrator on your phone if you add your work email

jaydeevo

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using a SGS3. I was running the FreeSG3 ROM and did not have a PIN lock on my phone. Maybe I set it up differently. I switched to Blazer ROM and now I have one again.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You can always use Touchdown for Exchange. It syncs your email, calendar and contacts, but the only thing that requires a lock is the actual app. So you're free to lock the phone however you want, but you have to use a PIN to access your email (it has a really generous timeout -- I'd be surprised if you have to enter the pin more than 4 or 5 times per day).

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
You should note that your work likely has the power to remote wipe your phone and is an administrator on your phone if you add your work email

While the do have the ability to wipe the phone it gets dicey, legally, if they wipe a personal phone. They can wipe anything if it's a company phone and they can wipe exchange email if it's a personal phone, but wiping personal information on a phone they don't own can put them in a defensive role in the courtroom.

Brucegotswagger

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Brucegotswagger

Hello all,
My work recently implemented a new policy where the phone must be unlocked if using the exchange server email. My issue with it is I now loose my slide to unlock to the camera or other options based on the roms. Is there anyway around it?

Hi my name is Brucegotswagger and my phone is not working bc I forgot my email and Password to my pin lock wat should I do

pyrotool

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Download aptoide thru their website. Then thru aptoide, download enhanced email. Configure your email, password, server thru enhanced email. Delete exchange acct. go back into settings and remove pin/password. Works on the android OS.

almufasa

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Use Touchdown HD. It's brilliant. Full sync of email loads of options and great display. You only need a PIN for the app not the whole phone. Get permission from your IT guys of course

Last edited:

Novelh

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. Here is the answer. Download "Nine" as your exchange email app. I've used Touchdown in the past but Nine has a much slicker user interface experience (I think its also half the price of Touchdown). Now go to settings/security and scroll down to 'security model'. Change it from device level to app level. This will allow you to set a password for the app whenever you want to launch it but will not require you to set a password/pin to unlock your phone. If your company needs to wipe your data they will only wipe what is in the Nine app and not the entire phone.