Bionic, Razr Maxx, or Gnex?

minnis12

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
i currently have a bionic and i pretty unhappy with the screen and it likes to freeze up a lot. i REALLY want to get the Gnex but ive been reading all the horror stories about the dropped service and problems alike. the razr seems like a solid phone but it doesnt have a removable battery and i know how android devices always need a battery pull... so im relly caught in the middle. if someone could please just give me a good solid answer it would be MUCH appreciated.

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I went from a droid x to the gnex and haven't regretted it for 1 second. No problems with this unit. The good luck with your choice

Sent from the great city of Rockford Illinois-not

minnis12

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
How long ago did you get it? I've also heard that its only the ones from when they first came out that were having the problems

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

PhilD

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i went from a droid x to the bionic last september - what a waste of an upgrade that was... it wasn't until the february update (6 months after release) that the bionic was even usable.

i ended up buying a gnex at full retail last december and am 101% satisfied (my bionic is in the junk drawer), and i will not purchase another motorola phone unless it is AOSP.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I always encourage people to try different android phones. Since you have had moto, try the gnex with stock 4.0.x. I have the gnex on Verizon. Its great . I was lucky to get a good one. I rooted in the second week. But its well worth it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How long ago did you get it? I've also heard that its only the ones from when they first came out that were having the problems

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Got mine on launch day, never had an issue. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
i currently have a bionic and i pretty unhappy with the screen and it likes to freeze up a lot. i REALLY want to get the Gnex but ive been reading all the horror stories about the dropped service and problems alike. the razr seems like a solid phone but it doesnt have a removable battery and i know how android devices always need a battery pull... so im relly caught in the middle. if someone could please just give me a good solid answer it would be MUCH appreciated.

I would go with the Nexus. I've never owned a Bionic but it doesn't seem all that impressive.

The Droid Razr MAXX has great signal and battery but I don't like the way Motorola does business (Droid Razr HD or Fighter is coming down the pipeline soon)

I'd pick the Nexus or the S3

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
My best friends wife has the bionic and she hates it. My wife has the RAZR and I can't stand it. My gnex has been the cats meow since I got it on release day. GNex all the way

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If you're not going to root/rom, i'd say Razr. My friend has one and the battery blows mine to !! He streams music for hours and hardly loses any battery... mine would have been dead by then.

skinnytoo2

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have tried most of the VZW devices. I usually buy them on launch day at full retail and return if I don't like. I have been really happy with the GNex. Never had any issues cept for the battery life. I got the slimmer (compared to the Seidio) extended 2100m and swap if needed, which works great. I am sure the Sammy GSIII will be great. If you wait for that, you can try it or get the GNex at a likely discounted price; Or There will probably be a bunch on Ebay. I know I will unload mine then.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
As you can see....its gonna be hard to get a good solid answer. Post this in all 3 forums sections and all 3 would favor that forum section.

With the GS3 out now or coming soon, I really wouldnt look at the G Nex unless you are really into stock ICS, stock Android. And into custom ROMs.

Bionic I have read had lots of issues. As of its latest update it should be a better phone. I have a RAZR, had a G Nex. For my wants n needs the RAZR was a better fit. Mainly reception in weaker areas. Battery life on the RAZR is fine, but nothing compares to the Maxx out the box. I can show detailed battery life tests that would favor the RAZR and Bionic overall vs the G Nex.

Spec wise....it all depends on what you see, dont see, prefer, like, dont like. I never had a Bionic, but did see one in person at the store. Some will say the screen on the Bionic and RAZR isnt as good as the G Nex. I like the G Nex screen better...but the Bionic and RAZR screen isnt gonna be as bad as some make it. Especially the RAZR...as I compared it to the G Nex and Rezound for over 2 weeks...I have a Rezound now too. And prefer my RAZR screen alot more.

Best advice I can give is try them all in the store and see which one you like more. I dont have a Maxx...but I am assuming it cant be that different than my RAZR. Price might make a difference too. With all 3 phones...find a decent working one and you are good to go. And there are alot of happy Bionic owners out there. Like there are alot of happy G Nex owners out there.

Just realized you have a Bionic...lol. Try exchanging it, updating it. If that doesnt help....go to another phone. At this point n time...I would look at the Maxx or GS3. Just for the better battery life of the Maxx and potential better battery life on the GS3.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I hate my Bionic. Especially the switch between 3G and 4G.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to the GNex a few months ago, my first experience with 4G. Battery life is really sucky, but as I'm an over the road trucker, I just leave it plugged in all day.
I'm really happy that mine doesn't seem to have a lot of bugs, and even before the update, I've had great reception, which in my job is kinda important.
I'm running stock right now, but I'd consider a rom that helped out with battery life, and I just picked up a OEM 2100 battery, so we'll see if that helps a bit.
Overall, I'm really happy with Sammy, and I love the stock Android experience.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to the GNex a few months ago, my first experience with 4G. Battery life is really sucky, but as I'm an over the road trucker, I just leave it plugged in all day.
I'm really happy that mine doesn't seem to have a lot of bugs, and even before the update, I've had great reception, which in my job is kinda important.
I'm running stock right now, but I'd consider a rom that helped out with battery life, and I just picked up a OEM 2100 battery, so we'll see if that helps a bit.
Overall, I'm really happy with Sammy, and I love the stock Android experience.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

I keep mine plugged in much of the time while I'm driving too.

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the Droid Razr HD. It is going to be lightly skinned by Motorola, run ICS and have a 3300 mah battery (non removable). But with a battery that large you may not need it to be removable. I have the GNex, only thing I'm disappointed with now is the battery is draining overnight.