Extended battery

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What am I doing wrong? This battery life is with my new extended battery. Is this expected?
Screen brightness is at 50%.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Jbairdjr

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Is this the 2100mah Samsung battery or the Seidio or other aftermarket 3800 mah battery?
I have the 2100, and I dont think it added any extra battery life to the stock. Have my 3800 ordered.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
that is definitely not right... you have a serious bug somewhere....
most can get between 10-20 hrs on that battery running stock android....
whats your screen on time?

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What am I doing wrong? This battery life is with my new extended battery. Is this expected?
Screen brightness is at 50%.

It's possible you received a defective battery. Did you "condition" the battery when you first received it?

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
that is definitely not right... you have a serious bug somewhere....
most can get between 10-20 hrs on that battery running stock android....
whats your screen on time?

I am using the leaked 4.0.4 rom but otherwise stock and my screen on time is 2.5 hours.

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I put it in my phone, turned it off and fully charged it before turning it back on. This is day 2.

OK. I've read and been told that with a brand new battery, in order to "condition" it, for the first 5 or 6 cycles, let the battery drain all the way down to zero (or as close to zero as you can). Fully charge it back up, then do the same thing with each cycle until you've done it at least 5 times. It's a pain sometimes, when you'd rather just plug & charge, but it really does help the performance of the battery; at least for me it did.

However, if you find that that doesn't help, you may need to get it replaced.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Try not to pay attention to the drain till the 5th or 6th cycle but you should charge the battery for a minimum of 8 hours for the first several cycles. I do 12hrs of charge time the first 3 cycles then 8hrs the next 5-6 cycles. If after that it is still not working the way you think it should take it back.

P.S. Try not to drain below 5% for the first 20-25 cycles. Lithium-ion batteries don't like it.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I've broken many of these rules. I did drain it completely this evening. I got 7 hrs and 10 minutes with the screen on for 2 hrs and 50 min. I am going to try and condition it hereafter though.

I still think that this is probably better than the stock battery would have given me and it was only $25.

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I've broken many of these rules. I did drain it completely this evening. I got 7 hrs and 10 minutes with the screen on for 2 hrs and 50 min. I am going to try and condition it hereafter though.

I still think that this is probably better than the stock battery would have given me and it was only $25.

No worries. For the first few cycles from here on out, I would suggest (as zedorda mentioned) that you leave it on the charger for an additional few hours.

Your screen-on time is impressive; the screen is the big battery drainer.

I agree with you about being better than the stock battery, at least in my case it is. Your price was good too, considering that VZW was selling it for something like twice that amount after the phone released.

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I've always followed the drain the battery full the first few times rule, and let's just say my phone is the only one amongst my friends' that actually maintains any sort of decent life and longevity. Ever.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just return it. If you have similar problems, you'll at least know there's something draining the battery rather than the battery itself.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem when I first got my 2100 battery. First few charges sucked. Once "conditioned" the battery is lasting me 12 hours with average use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Day 3 and I got 14hrs 17mins with a screen on time of 3hrs 20mins. Still have 4% left.
Looks like the battery just needs a little time to find its stride.

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
That's good! Leads me to believe your battery is ok but it just needs to "learn". :) Keep in mind though that your battery life is subject to your usage; screen-on time is almost always at the top of battery stats, but also depends on the apps you're running and stuff running in the background. So far, looks positive!