Warranty Swap?

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Nexus on release day. I love this phone. However, I've had the signal issues all along. It's worse after the 4.0.4 update. Grey bars frequently. Even in areas that should have a strong 4g signal. The camera now crashes, and it never did before. I've tried other ROMs, but that doesn't help with the signal.

I'm scared to get a warranty replacement, because I hear of all the other problems I don't have.

Has it been determined the newer Nexi are "better" than the older? (Korean made vs Japanese?)

I'd hate to move to other hardware. I really like this Nexus, but the weak radio is killing me.

While at work, I'm lucky to get a signal at all, where I used to get a strong 3G signal with my Droid1.

Is it worth a warranty replacement? I'm not feeling there will be any kind of software update that will make the radio more powerful...

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got a warranty replacement two days ago. LTE was just launched in my area, and my phone would drop all radios like 15 times an hour. The new "Certified like new" phone arrived.........with a build date of 5/29/12, made in Korea. It's a brand new phone. No way it was made, shipped to the US, sold, returned, refurbished, and sent back out to me in a two week period. This phone holds signal like it's its job. The screen has a very slight color band, but it's so light my wife can't even see it. I can live with a tiny bit of banding if the phone works as a phone, and this one does 100%.

I wouldn't worry about getting a replacement at all.

johnnex72

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Nexus on release day. I love this phone. However, I've had the signal issues all along. It's worse after the 4.0.4 update. Grey bars frequently. Even in areas that should have a strong 4g signal. The camera now crashes, and it never did before. I've tried other ROMs, but that doesn't help with the signal.

I'm scared to get a warranty replacement, because I hear of all the other problems I don't have.

Has it been determined the newer Nexi are "better" than the older? (Korean made vs Japanese?)

I'd hate to move to other hardware. I really like this Nexus, but the weak radio is killing me.

While at work, I'm lucky to get a signal at all, where I used to get a strong 3G signal with my Droid1.

Is it worth a warranty replacement? I'm not feeling there will be any kind of software update that will make the radio more powerful...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/177890-4-0-4-galaxy-nexus-2.html

I posted my experience in this thread last night on a recent warranty swap.

with a certified like new stick with a certified like new sticker on it. It works much better as a phone than my first device which was made in china.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
First phone was rock solid on reception; its first replacement had the infamous data drop issues; the third one is back to rock solid but experiencing one of the original's problems.

In short, what do you have to lose?

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a warranty swap coming today too. Interesting that my first two swaps were through Amazon Wireless and it was to a new phone each time. The first one had the same signal problem as the first. The second was better on signal but had the banding & faded color on the screen.
I am now more comfortable getting a "certified like new" vs a brand-new one. I am hoping that means the phone went through some extra quality control before it gets to me.
The color banding, just FYI, was mitigated by using a custom ROM (Liquid) that did some tweaks to the color levels. It looks pretty darn good, but I can still tell it is not as saturated as my first device.
So, anyway, refurb or new, I just want the dang thing to work well. I wouldn't worry if it is a refurb because if you are looking at resale, all our phones are "pre-owned" once we start using them. The value is in its working condition (and cosmetics - I won't accept the replacement if it is at all worn).
As STC09 says above, there's really nothing to lose...

Last edited:

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my replacement phone a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, the certified like new phone destroys my original Nexus.

Most people who have great experience with their Nexus device have a made in Korea tag under the battery. The one you have to watch out for is the made in China.

Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I got my replacement phone a couple of weeks ago. I have to say, the certified like new phone destroys my original Nexus.

Most people who have great experience with their Nexus device have a made in Korea tag under the battery. The one you have to watch out for is the made in China.

Good luck.

Yep! Replacement us working well. It is made in Korea too... Woot!

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store, but they had to send a until to me. It should arrive today. I just checked and my unit (from day 1 purchase) was made in Korea. I really hope I can get a good one, and not get something worse. I REALLY don't want to move to another phone....

Went I was talking to the CS agent and mentioned the problems I was having. He sighed and said, "Yeah, those phones have been nightmares."

I really like to see phone reviews bring radio strength into the equation. It's going to factor heavily into my next decsion.

Just curious, of you people who have received warranty replacements, have many of you received Chinese made units?

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Just got off phone with Verizon and they are sending me my sixth Nexus replacement. I asked how many more replacements do I get. The rep said unlimited until I initially purchased the phone (Warranty runs out). I'm thinking I could hit at least 50 replacements.

Oh yeah, Verizon was quick to blame Samsung for the problem but Samsung came back and said the phone is flawless.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Now I have a very solid respect for Samsung devices. I intend to buy the Note 10.1, and have recommended Samsung devices to many less "techy" friends and fam. But if you want a PHONE that can function as a phone, everyone knows Moto is where the good radios are at. After 4 or 5 replacements of the Nexus, why not exchange for the Maxx? I understand the Nexus has some great features not available on the Maxx, but a functioning phone seems most important. As i read this thread, i can't help but see all these problems being solved with a Maxx. Have a great day guys!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Current replacement Is made in china. Holds better signal, no drops, hand off is smooth. Razr maxx is back in the stand for the time being.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Same with me. I just fired up my replacement phone. I've only used it for a few hours, but here at work is where it would continually putter out. Holding a decent signal so far. It's a Chinese made refurb, but it's cosmeticly perfect, and working like a champ!

So far, I'm happy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol