help with redirect ads?

bluelite#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone:

I used the search function but could not find a related post, apologies if I missed any.

Every since I downloaded the 4.04 OTA I've been a happy camper; it seems like I have a new phone (except for the still horrendous battery life). But I have been recently been invaded by a couple of persistent redirect ads. I doubt the ads have anything to do with the update, but I thought I'd throw that out.
One tells me I have won a local prize and to click okay for more info. When I hit the back button instead it takes me to the ad. when I hit the back button again, I lose the original page I was on before I was zapped by the ad!
The other is one that states that I have malware! It tries to have me buy some software.
As of now, these only pop up once in a while. The times they have appeared I have not had the chance to write down down exact details about these ads, I will when I can.

I downloaded the Norton Security Mobile App (free version), but when I run a scan, it fails to detect any malware.

Has anyone had these ads infect their phone?
Any ideas on How I can go about getting rid of them will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks..

yellowcanary73

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I had something like that happen twice said I'd been chosen a winner to choose from these prizes and no matter what it won't let me out till I turn the phone off. That happened within the first couple days but nothing since.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've seen maybe three or four with the Chrome beta in the last two weeks. I just cleared the cache, so I'll have to wait and see if it happens again.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This is happening to me too, seems to be related to droid-life for me. In fact it has not happen on any other site except droid life,

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen twice. In both cases I immediately uninstalled the last program I had installed and did not see it again. I think in both cases it was one of the free games from Amazon. I no longer download those.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The most I have received are notifications of free apps to try from the Google Play Store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone figure this out yet? I clicked on it the ad I keep having and its a advertisement for snap secure android antivirus, this seems to be related to droid life for me. When I try to go back it closes my browser. I did a scan with look out and it finds nothing. Help. I am rooted and I installed ad blocker but it still happens.

CynicalDreams81

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I've received the same ad before on Droid life. It isn't any form of malware on your phone. I researched the ad when I first got it. It's a pop up ad from the website itself. The pop up does exactly what was described. It takes over your screen stating you've won a local prize and tries to get you to enter your info. Hitting the back button will not get rid of the ad and forces you to back out of the page you were just on. So no worries about any malware on your phone. It's the website.

load97

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I had something like that happen twice said I'd been chosen a winner to choose from these prizes and no matter what it won't let me out till I turn the phone off. That happened within the first couple days but nothing since.

I had that happen as well. Been fine for a long time now though.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've received the same ad before on Droid life. It isn't any form of malware on your phone. I researched the ad when I first got it. It's a pop up ad from the website itself. The pop up does exactly what was described. It takes over your screen stating you've won a local prize and tries to get you to enter your info. Hitting the back button will not get rid of the ad and forces you to back out of the page you were just on. So no worries about any malware on your phone. It's the website.

Thank you that's all I needed to know, Super annoying.

bluelite#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for your input. I am a droid life regular, so I am going to really pay attention and see if these redirects occur when on that site. Surprising if it does come from DL, they are a solid site..
CynicalDreams: thanks for looking into it, I hope you're right and it's not any form of malware.
It's kind of scary that this happens at all. Hopefully not a hint at future problems on the Android OS. Even more scary is that Norton does not see this when I run a scan-at least in the free version.
Keep your thoughts and observations coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC