Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.1 & 4.0.4

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.0.4

Complaining to Samsung who made the phone and VZW who is the carrier is the wrong way around? Can you get hold of Google? Even the Samsung guy was saying they can't get hold of anyone at Google.

Also, based on above posts, it seems. 4.1 doesn't resolve the issues. So, I am not sure you actually have the answer, or it may have worked on your phone, but not on others.

I'm on 4.1 and was on 4.04 horrible Bluetooth on both versions.

I noticed a deterioration of bluetooth quality after 4.04 that was getting progressively worse. Now that I'm on 4.1 Jelly Bean, bluetooth is scary bad.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Complaining to Samsung who made the phone and VZW who is the carrier is the wrong way around? Can you get hold of Google? Even the Samsung guy was saying they can't get hold of anyone at Google.

Also, based on above posts, it seems. 4.1 doesn't resolve the issues. So, I am not sure you actually have the answer, or it may have worked on your phone, but not on others.

Yeah, complaining to Samsung when its a SOFTWARE problem is stupid. We have already told you Samsung doesn't have anything to do with it. If it was a HARDWARE problem, then yes, Samsung should be contacted. If something deteriorates with a SOFTWARE update, its pretty safe to say the SOFTWARE is what caused it. Especially when a SOFTWARE work around FIXES the issue.

By the way, Updating to 4.1 doesn't update the Radio software, so if it sucks in 4.0.4, its going to suck on 4.1... or 5.0, or 3.2. If the radio software sucks, it doesn't matter what OS version you have.

Swappa (Android) Search

Last edited:

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, complaining to Samsung when its a SOFTWARE problem is stupid.

I think your approach is heavy handed. You just called me stupid. You're way out of line. And you owe me an apology.

Contacting Samsung is the right approach for those of us who value our phones and don't like to mess with them and keep them as stock as possible.

1- Samsung needs to be aware of the issues that are happening to their phones.
2- So does VZW.
3- The more people complain, the sooner a fix can be made for the BT bug.
4- I encourage more people with the in call BT audio quality issue to contact both VZW and Samsung to log in their complaint.
5- It's my understanding the Samsung can flash the current firmware and that could resolve the issue.
6- This is the smart thing to do.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, thats not going to happen. The idea is stupid, but since you don't read well, I guess you might be as well. Its Google's software, Samsung just makes the hardware. If you don't get that then please follow the link at the bottom of my last post. It points you to a direction you can sell your nexus to someone who will appreciate it and you can buy a Razr MAXX who's software and hardware are made by the same company where you would probably complain to the correct people if you have issues with it. You can blame Verizon for approving the wrong radio software, especially since the correct ones have been available since February. To be honest, don't expect any update before Jelly Bean is officially released from Google and approved by Verizon. It may not contain a radio update either, although, traditionally, they do come with them. I'm having no radio issues with Jelly Bean and the 4.0.4 radios, so don't expect radical changes.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Code:
you can sell your nexus to someone who will appreciate it

Move on. you are just just one insulting SOB. with no tact and certainly no credibility on this site. find someone else to harass. .types like you, shouldn't respond to posts.

adambomb6

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Definitely the radio for me. Had no issues with Bluetooth on the first leak but the current Rom feels more responsive. So I got the best of both right now with no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Nice find!

I went back to Fa02 and YES, there is a big improvement in bluetooth sound. I thought it was network, but it does seem it was the bluetooth. Weird. Thanks a lot for the tip. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Nice find!

I went back to Fa02 and YES, there is a big improvement in bluetooth sound. I thought it was network, but it does seem it was the bluetooth. Weird. Thanks a lot for the tip. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

No problem. Noticed the problem pretty quickly and flashed the old radio and voila, problem fixed. Radio also works fine in jelly bean. My only complaint is line of sight with bluetooth devices. Nothing can be blocking the phone and bluetooth device otherwise audio cut out. Its not an issue for me in my car as i leave my phone out in the open when i drive, but it got annoying for 4th of july and trying to play music across a room.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Nothing can be blocking the phone and bluetooth device otherwise audio cut out.

Hi, I don't have this problem at all. Although as the point of this thread my sound quality in BT, during call has eroded however the usage and range is exactly the same.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

flashed the old radio and voila, problem fixed.

could you or someone please offer a step by step solution to flash the radio on an unrooted SGN? Thanks.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

UPDATE: Samsung got back to me. They said they had shipped the phone and

Original Problem:
ACCESSORY - BLUETOOTH ACCESSORIES - AUDIO ISSUES

Problem found:
LOCK UP DURING OPERATION (SW)

So, according to them the problem is that the phone locked up during operation. Is this bogus. Does it make sense to anyone? Why does locking up has to do with poor audio quality?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I called Samsung, they said (SW) code means they had done a software reflash, which is what is understood to resolve the issue.

I'll let you guys know after I get the unit and test the BT.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

all the insults aside, if I buy a phone from Verizon and it's make by Samsung, I have no relationship with Google even if they make the s/w. I have done no business with Google. It's Samsung who supplies phone and everything in it/on it, Verizon sells it. If the main chip is defective, do you go directly to Qualcom or whoever makes the chipset?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Right. Going through the channels is the best way, also leaves enough paper trail to help with the next guy who has the same problem. Keep in mind that these phones come with one year warranty. So, the manufacturer needs to know about any issues. I am only 7 months on my SGN, so have plenty to go, also the phone is insured too.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
could you or someone please offer a step by step solution to flash the radio on an unrooted SGN? Thanks.

Everything you need to know has been posted in the other section of the verizon nexus forums.

Its not cut and dry with this phone though. You have software by one company and hardware by another. If both were by the same company, well, you know the company to complain to. Samsung did nothing to your phone you couldn't have done in 15 minutes. They will only deal with hardware issues and refer to Google for the software ones. What they did was take your phone and load the package provided by Google you could have done yourself with any computer and a usb cord. If it doesn't fix your problem (which I'm pretty confident it won't), its still a software issue and the fix is also provided from Google. Its a little more indepth to just flash certain parts of a software release than to flash the entire release. Its no more difficult though. You just select only a part to flash instead of using the script that flashes the entire update. To do it you would need to unlock your bootloader (you can lock it up afterwards if you want). Then download the release from Google's site, and with 1 command, flash just the radio update.

Another option would be getting a flashable .zip of the radio update put together by a programmer and the booting into a 3rd party recovery and flashing it that way. You can boot into a recovery without overwriting your current stock recovery. This will allow you to get updates as the come as long as you are running Official radios/roms. I use this method to try out a ROM and test the waters before returning back to stock unscathed. I can say, Jelly Bean is giving me little reason to go back.

Last edited:

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

What they did was take your phone and load the package provided by Google you could have done yourself with any computer and a usb cord.

what do you mean by load the package, you mean the 4.0.4 firmware update? But the phone already has that and the phone was reset as well by me.

The fix is also provided from Google.

Great, could you provide a link to the thread that has the info about this, for unrooted phones please?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
what do you mean by load the package, you mean the 4.0.4 firmware update? But the phone already has that and the phone was reset as well by me.

Great, could you provide a link to the thread that has the info about this, for unrooted phones please?

I posted video walkthroughs on each one. I dedicated my youtube channel to this and app development basics (I'm not a great developer, but I know some things that may help people transition or get started). Just head on over to the Roms and hacks section and some of the topics are stickied at the top that will help you.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

well, I think we should have a collective laugh out loud at this time and I'll accept as many "I told you so's" as you care to throw.

After all the communication with Samsung while they had a SGN from me and my detailed explanation to them and links to this thread and so on. The phone was returned to me just now with the SAME EXACT POOR Bluetooth sound quality as before.

HA HA...

Also, the refurbish phone that VZW sent me, which I sent to Samsung is made in China and my own phone is made in Korea.

I don't see any reason to keep the refurbish phone and will return it to VZW today.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

So sick of the BT issues. So, I was playing around with going back to wired ear buds and headsets and then realizing that all my old ones are 2.5mm. I called local Radio Shack and they were out of 2.5>3.5 adapters.

So, I started doing a test. I made a call to my business voice mail and tested the sound quality coming from the Bluetooth and the Speakerphone while being about 3 feet away from the phone.

1- My voice on Bluetooth sounded OK, but a bit choppy and a bit too digitized.
2- My voice on the Speakerphone was excellent, loud, very clear, not choppy at all and not with too much echo that is common with speakerphone use. Really impressed by it.

So, I decided against using a wired headset (since it would mean I'd have to carry the phone with me around the apt anyway) and just use the Speakerphone when I have to.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Hi, a bit of an update for you. On July 21 I mailed two letters via snail mail to the VPs of customer service and consumer relations at Samsung and VZW. I explained the problem that I am having with my SGN VZW and provided a link to this thread. No reply as of yet. I am a consultant to corporations and I know first hand that snail mail actually gets a lot of attention and it's not ignored. Hoping for a resolution.

I wish VZW would release Jelly Bean soon.

sjeye

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

I also have a Verizon SGN phone. It had ICS when I purchased it and has ALWAYS had poor Bluetooth audio quality. I tried calling Verizon and Samsung tech support with similar results to the other posts.

I would be willing to try the limited "radio" upload, but don't understand:
- Will I lose the other configuration (installed Apps, etc...) on the phone?
- Will the memory be reset (lose photos, text message archive, etc...)?
- Where do I download the "old" radio update that does NOT have the Bluetooth problem?
- How do I flash just the radio update, rather than the entire ICS version
- How can I backup the current configuration before I do the update?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

I posted video walkthroughs on each one. I dedicated my youtube channel to this and app development basics (I'm not a great developer, but I know some things that may help people transition or get started). Just head on over to the Roms and hacks section and some of the topics are stickied at the top that will help you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze