Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.0.4

I called Samsung, they said (SW) code means they had done a software reflash, which is what is understood to resolve the issue.

I'll let you guys know after I get the unit and test the BT.

all the insults aside, if I buy a phone from Verizon and it's make by Samsung, I have no relationship with Google even if they make the s/w. I have done no business with Google. It's Samsung who supplies phone and everything in it/on it, Verizon sells it. If the main chip is defective, do you go directly to Qualcom or whoever makes the chipset?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Right. Going through the channels is the best way, also leaves enough paper trail to help with the next guy who has the same problem. Keep in mind that these phones come with one year warranty. So, the manufacturer needs to know about any issues. I am only 7 months on my SGN, so have plenty to go, also the phone is insured too.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    could you or someone please offer a step by step solution to flash the radio on an unrooted SGN? Thanks.
    Everything you need to know has been posted in the other section of the verizon nexus forums.

Its not cut and dry with this phone though. You have software by one company and hardware by another. If both were by the same company, well, you know the company to complain to. Samsung did nothing to your phone you couldn't have done in 15 minutes. They will only deal with hardware issues and refer to Google for the software ones. What they did was take your phone and load the package provided by Google you could have done yourself with any computer and a usb cord. If it doesn't fix your problem (which I'm pretty confident it won't), its still a software issue and the fix is also provided from Google. Its a little more indepth to just flash certain parts of a software release than to flash the entire release. Its no more difficult though. You just select only a part to flash instead of using the script that flashes the entire update. To do it you would need to unlock your bootloader (you can lock it up afterwards if you want). Then download the release from Google's site, and with 1 command, flash just the radio update.

Another option would be getting a flashable .zip of the radio update put together by a programmer and the booting into a 3rd party recovery and flashing it that way. You can boot into a recovery without overwriting your current stock recovery. This will allow you to get updates as the come as long as you are running Official radios/roms. I use this method to try out a ROM and test the waters before returning back to stock unscathed. I can say, Jelly Bean is giving me little reason to go back.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

What they did was take your phone and load the package provided by Google you could have done yourself with any computer and a usb cord.
    what do you mean by load the package, you mean the 4.0.4 firmware update? But the phone already has that and the phone was reset as well by me.

The fix is also provided from Google.
    Great, could you provide a link to the thread that has the info about this, for unrooted phones please?

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    what do you mean by load the package, you mean the 4.0.4 firmware update? But the phone already has that and the phone was reset as well by me.

Great, could you provide a link to the thread that has the info about this, for unrooted phones please?

I posted video walkthroughs on each one. I dedicated my youtube channel to this and app development basics (I'm not a great developer, but I know some things that may help people transition or get started). Just head on over to the Roms and hacks section and some of the topics are stickied at the top that will help you.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

well, I think we should have a collective laugh out loud at this time and I'll accept as many "I told you so's" as you care to throw.

After all the communication with Samsung while they had a SGN from me and my detailed explanation to them and links to this thread and so on. The phone was returned to me just now with the SAME EXACT POOR Bluetooth sound quality as before.

HA HA...

Also, the refurbish phone that VZW sent me, which I sent to Samsung is made in China and my own phone is made in Korea.

I don't see any reason to keep the refurbish phone and will return it to VZW today.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

So sick of the BT issues. So, I was playing around with going back to wired ear buds and headsets and then realizing that all my old ones are 2.5mm. I called local Radio Shack and they were out of 2.5>3.5 adapters.

So, I started doing a test. I made a call to my business voice mail and tested the sound quality coming from the Bluetooth and the Speakerphone while being about 3 feet away from the phone.

1- My voice on Bluetooth sounded OK, but a bit choppy and a bit too digitized.
    2- My voice on the Speakerphone was excellent, loud, very clear, not choppy at all and not with too much echo that is common with speakerphone use. Really impressed by it.

So, I decided against using a wired headset (since it would mean I'd have to carry the phone with me around the apt anyway) and just use the Speakerphone when I have to.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

Hi, a bit of an update for you. On July 21 I mailed two letters via snail mail to the VPs of customer service and consumer relations at Samsung and VZW. I explained the problem that I am having with my SGN VZW and provided a link to this thread. No reply as of yet. I am a consultant to corporations and I know first hand that snail mail actually gets a lot of attention and it's not ignored. Hoping for a resolution.

I wish VZW would release Jelly Bean soon.

I also have a Verizon SGN phone. It had ICS when I purchased it and has ALWAYS had poor Bluetooth audio quality. I tried calling Verizon and Samsung tech support with similar results to the other posts.

I would be willing to try the limited "radio" upload, but don't understand:
    - Will I lose the other configuration (installed Apps, etc...) on the phone?
    - Will the memory be reset (lose photos, text message archive, etc...)?
    - Where do I download the "old" radio update that does NOT have the Bluetooth problem?
    - How do I flash just the radio update, rather than the entire ICS version
    - How can I backup the current configuration before I do the update?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ruffolo View Post
    I posted video walkthroughs on each one. I dedicated my youtube channel to this and app development basics (I'm not a great developer, but I know some things that may help people transition or get started). Just head on over to the Roms and hacks section and some of the topics are stickied at the top that will help you.

good questions. If someone posts it, I'll try it too w/o having to root.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

UPDATE: I never got a reply to the letters I sent to VZW and Samsung corporate offices.
    Banned

Download this zip file and extract it somewhere you can remember like the desktop.
    [mirror]

Here is where you can find the download for the Radio:
    Radios

The FA02 Radios worked best for me. For your convenience, I have included all the files you need in 1 package regardless of Operating System.

If you unlocked your bootloader, you will not loose any information. If you didn't, you will loose all of your information. There is probably a way to root the phone and install clockworkmod recovery, but it doesn't sound like thats what you want to do. If you unlocked your bootloader, proceed below:

Download clockworkmod recovery. We won't be installing it, just booting into it. Keep this .img file handy (I rename it to recovery.img. It makes the last steps easier).

(All Files included in zip folder I'm providing)
    Download the Android SDK if you would like, all you need though is the adb and fastboot files for your operating system. For windows, its 4 files (adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, and fastboot). For linux/mac its adb and fastboot. Fastboot is not included with the sdk and either needs to be compiled or you can download it from the internet.

Make sure you have drivers installed (windows only). If the commands later don't work, its likely you don't have the appropriate drivers. I included them (you're welcome).

Unzip the folder I'm providing you. Place the contents somewhere you can easily navigate to. Desktop is a popular choice regardless of OS. The next bit is instructions specific to your OS.

Windows:
    You need to get the address of where you saved the folder... specifically the Windows folder inside. Below is an example, but if you are having trouble, you can right-click the folder in the Top navigation bar and select copy address or copy address as text (both work the same for this).

Open start and type in cmd which should open a command prompt window. Type the following 1 line at a time:

Code:
    cd C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\Desktop\AdbFastboot\Windows
    adb push 4.0.4Radios.zip /sdcard/
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    Your phone (if the bootloader is unlocked) will boot into clockworkmod recovery where you can then select:

install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 4.0.4Radios --> reboot

You're done! You will not be able to update the device as the radios will be on the incorrect version. For future updates (ie Jelly Bean) you must flash back to the crappy radio first, then accept the update. All your files and profiles will remain unharmed in the entire process. You can get a copy of your current radio in the post above that I linked. You will need to repeat the same process above to flash the current radio software.

Mac/Linux:

Open up terminal. Its in your Utilities folder in Mac. You can Drag and drop the folder into terminal if you cannot figure out its address. Follow the next Steps:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/AdbFastboot/MacLinux
    ./adb push 4.0.4Radios.zip /sdcard/
    ./adb reboot bootloader
    ./fastboot boot recovery.img
    Your phone (if the bootloader is unlocked) will boot into clockworkmod recovery where you can then select:

install zip from sdcard --> choose zip from sdcard --> 4.0.4Radios --> reboot

You're done! You will not be able to update the device as the radios will be on the incorrect version. For future updates (ie Jelly Bean) you must flash back to the crappy radio first, then accept the update. All your files and profiles will remain unharmed in the entire process. You can get a copy of your current radio in the post above that I linked. You will need to repeat the same process above to flash the current radio software.

Carrier
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

Sounds like its time for you guys to head to the rooting section and give jelly bean a shot

If that doesn't fix it, then my guess is you have a hardware problem. When my phone was on 4.0.4 I experienced no issues with my Bluetooth.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by killroy420 View Post
    Sounds like its time for you guys to head to the rooting section and give jelly bean a shot

If that doesn't fix it, then my guess is you have a hardware problem. When my phone was on 4.0.4 I experienced no issues with my Bluetooth.

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.
    Jelly bean doesn't change the radio software. On the newest radios everything was the same in ics/jelly bean. I never had an issue until I got the newest radio. Fa02 has been crystal clear for me in the car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Carrier
    Latest OS + EX kernel

Question for you guys? Do you always have poor Bluetooth audio etc? I have a Jabra Wave, which I'm fairly sure is a decent device. When I'm in my car and my gnex is in my center console everything is absolutely perfect. I can drive at 65++mph with the windows down and and the person on the other end can't tell I'm not in a library. Basically elimates any other noiese but my voice. Of course, that's the Jabra wave doing its thing, but the gnex does it's job fine. Now as soon as I put my phone in my pocket = WEAKSAUCE. Other person can't hear me and/or it's choppy. Right ear and right pocket. I've only ever used the Wave with my gnex but it must be the gnex. Absolutely my only complaint with my phone and it's very avoidable for the most part. That what you guys experience? Mind you I never had radio issues from luunch day, but did notice I get LTE in buildings I didn't before after the newest radios.Guess I'll have to try to pair w/ another headset but what do you guys think?

hi. I think my problems, certainly with the audio on my side, started after 4.04. Of course it could also be due to apps I have downloaded, i have tried removing certain apps the interact w/Bluetooth . Multiple headsets from Moto, PLT and Jawbone, am a Bt fanatic, also have a BT enabled home phone that I used to be able to use to pick up calls from my GNEX. My problem is in and out, sometimes garbled sound in my BT earpieces. My earpieces work crystal clear w/A2DP apps like navigator, music etc.

I appreciate all the directions other posters gave on flashing radios,etc but I'm not up for it.

I'm going to wait for one more update if it comes before my year is up, to see if it replaces radios or improves, otherwise, will try customer support which I know is a fruitless excercise sometimes.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

New Radios!

Ok, I'm going to take the plunge and see if the new ones are better than the FA02 I'm using. Hope the audio is good on the new ones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hey, I just want to point out that the FA02 radios are the way to go if you have sound quality issues. I've been using them for a while. Before that the EK05/EK02 sounded fine but the switching was horrible and also the mic would stop working randomly. I was hoping the newest "new" radio would be better, but it's not when it comes to sound quality including bluetooth. This might not be true with all phones, but it seems to be the case for some (including mine). The FA02 has less popping and less gargled sound. I think it is slightly louder also which means the noise canceling in the bluetooth doesn't cut out conversation so much. In theory, your particular phone could respond differently to different radios. You may want to try out a few and see which one works. You will need to be rooted and follow the guidelines. The radios can be found here:[Radios][VZW] All Radios in Flashable Zip - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki
    It's not a perfect solution but at least livable.
    samkatz likes this.

Thanks for the "update".

As a non-rooter, non-flasher, I will hope that when the official OTA comes it will help my horrendous BT. Otherwise, I'm in the hands of Verizon's support team/exchange policy.

I love everything else about this phone....(other than having to carry around a Mophie battery pack all day).

Quote Originally Posted by famousface View Post
    Hey, I just want to point out that the FA02 radios are the way to go if you have sound quality issues. I've been using them for a while. Before that the EK05/EK02 sounded fine but the switching was horrible and also the mic would stop working randomly. I was hoping the newest "new" radio would be better, but it's not when it comes to sound quality including bluetooth. This might not be true with all phones, but it seems to be the case for some (including mine). The FA02 has less popping and less gargled sound. I think it is slightly louder also which means the noise canceling in the bluetooth doesn't cut out conversation so much. In theory, your particular phone could respond differently to different radios. You may want to try out a few and see which one works. You will need to be rooted and follow the guidelines. The radios can be found here:[Radios][VZW] All Radios in Flashable Zip - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki
    It's not a perfect solution but at least livable.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #71  

I just got a rather what I would call insulting email from a higherup in the VZW echelon. They certainly need a lesson in how to communicate with their better customers. I have been with them for about 13 years. I pay my bills on time, I buy their most expensive phones.

the core of the letter is that, they would offer me a one time refurbished Motorola Razr. Take or leave it.

What an insult. This is like Mercedes customer service would say, sorry you are having trouble with one of our S Class, we are willing to offer you a Honda Civic certified preowned.

Disgusting.

The first thought that I had after reading that note from a so called Executive Correspondent was that VZW I am switching to another carrier. Arrogant penny pinchers with no sense of customer service.

idiotic. just ask someone else there. Walk in to a store. You are a lifetime annuity for Verizon if they keep you happy.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

I didn't respond to that ***** who wrote me, I emailed his boss citing my disbelief in how insulting that offer is. and complained, that email is a text book example of what NOT to send to one of your better customers.

Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by samkatz View Post
    Thanks for the "update".

As a non-rooter, non-flasher, I will hope that when the official OTA comes it will help my horrendous BT. Otherwise, I'm in the hands of Verizon's support team/exchange policy.

I love everything else about this phone....(other than having to carry around a Mophie battery pack all day).
    They don't. I installed the leak with radios and they don't change a thing from bluetooth experience with the newer ics radios. The fa02 radios work best still (with jelly bean/or ics). Despite what the previous poster said, you do not need to be rooted. If you've read the posts about exchanged phones, they all seem to be garbage in some form or another. If youre going to wipe your data with exchanging a phone, might as well only do it once and do it right by unlocking the bootloader.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  

I didn't respond to that ***** who wrote me, I emailed his boss citing my disbelief in how insulting that offer is. and complained, that email is a text book example of what NOT to send to one of your better customers.
    although I emailed his boss, the same dude resent his previous email, as if my emails are being intercepted by him or are never seen by his boss (more likely never seen). So I wrote again to his boss' boss this time. I'll see if the same due will copy and past his original note again.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast