Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.1 & 4.0.4

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Terrible Bluetooth sound quality since 4.0.4

To be honest, Bluetooth audio (A2DP anyway) has never been that impressive. I've tried several times in many cars (or using many adapters) to be ok with the sub-par sound. In the end, I always end up just plugging my phone into an audio cable. The difference is astonishing.

The HTC One series uses apt-X, which is supposed to sound much better.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Same issue here! Actually, sound quality in general has gotten much worse since the upgrade. I am repeatedly now having to call people back multiple times because they tell me they can't make out what I am saying. I have never had this issue before. Most of the time calling back doesn't help either. I actually had to reboot last week because my phone was so faint and garbled that it was not usable. Just before I went to the store, I got the brilliant idea to do a battery pull and it worked. But I can't be doing that daily. I am about to get the S3 and pass this phone down to my DD because it's been really frustrating this month.

It's strange because before this month, I had no issues whatsoever. I got the phone the day it came out and it was perfect until now. I didn't even tie it to the upgrade until I saw this thread. Given that I drive the same route every day for the last 5 years, I am pretty sure it's not Verizon. Katherine

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I got the phone also the first day it came out on VZW, December 15, and have had no issues with it, except for the this and only after the 4.0.4 update.

Recker

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I now have the same issue of the quality being terrible. Worked great before 4.0.4.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Mine work ok before the update, noticibly worse since the update and I had done a wipe between updates.

my music audio also stops during playback, always has.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

If you have your phone unlocked (rooted or not), you can flash the older 4.0.4 radios and fix your bluetooth problems while maintaining the quick transition between 3g/4g.

You need access to a computer for this though as it requires using fastboot to boot into recovery (or if you already have a recovery installed, you can just install the file without a computer).

Grab a flashable zip of the i515.FA02 radios (google, they are hosted many places). Voila, problem fixed.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If you have your phone unlocked (rooted or not), you can flash the older 4.0.4 radios and fix your bluetooth problems while maintaining the quick transition between 3g/4g.

You need access to a computer for this though as it requires using fastboot to boot into recovery (or if you already have a recovery installed, you can just install the file without a computer).

Grab a flashable zip of the i515.FA02 radios (google, they are hosted many places). Voila, problem fixed.

Not a bad idea... I was thinking it was the rom, not the radio

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Not a bad idea... I was thinking it was the rom, not the radio

Definitely the radio for me. Had no issues with Bluetooth on the first leak but the current Rom feels more responsive. So I got the best of both right now with no issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

contacted Samsung again via online chat and also phone call. Online chat couldn't help. the phone support said that don't issue bug fixes or updates that it comes from Google. They asked me to contact Google support 1-888-486-3987. The line is busy.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I did call VZW yesterday, stated my case, they called Samsung and got their agent on the phone. They wanted to flush the phone's memory, and have me send it to them. I said no. The problem is not on the phone, it's with the firmware update. I was on the phone with these guys for about 20 min. VZW agent promised to note of the issue, Samsung agent promised to escalate the problem to get more notice for it. Only time will tell.

Anyone with an unrooter SGN with 4.0.4 that is having audio problem with incall Bluetooth, please call VZW and also Samsung to make sure they log in the issue.

VZW: 611
Samsung: 1-888-987-4357 >>1 >>4 >>1

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I got my GNex about a week ago and initially BT worked fine. It has been deteriorating over the past few days with sound going in and out and now it drops the connections on 2 headsets and in the car. I don't know why it would start out OK and then go bad over the course of a week but I need working BT.

If I understand correctly, I should be able to fix this problem by flashing an earlier radio version?

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

VZW was kind enough to overnight me a refurbished Galaxy Nexus. After going back and forth between the two, making calls and testing out the Bluetooth incall Audio quality on two Plantronics Voyager Pro headsets, the BT audio quality was exactly the same between the two units.

So, VZW has no way of fixing the issue. We are now on the phone with Samsung agent and I am planning to send the new unit to Samsung to resolve the issue.

What a mess google has made with the 4.0.4...

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

This is no figment of anyone's imagination.

I have several BT headsets...Moto, Plantronics, and the best of them all, Jawbone Icon.
They were all fine before the upgrade. Now the callers on the other end complain that I fade in and out, on my end the volume is much lower.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Samsung got back to me about my SGN saying that they couldn't find anything wrong. So I wrote back explaining further that:

"The issues are NOT whether Bluetooth works during a call session, they are about the fact that the Bluetooth audio quality has deteriorated substantially post 4.0.4 upgrade. The in call BT audio was crisp, loud and clear before the upgrade and now it's muddy, low in volume, and oscillates up and down and makes it impossible to hear the other party clearly. And this is constant.
The second issue is NOT whether the battery powers the unit, is that, after the 4.0.4 upgrade the rate of battery discharge has basically doubled.
Both of the above problems have been substantiated by other Galaxy Nexus users."

And I gave them a link to this thread.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

Samsung got back to me about my SGN saying that they couldn't find anything wrong. So I wrote back explaining further that:

"The issues are NOT whether Bluetooth works during a call session, they are about the fact that the Bluetooth audio quality has deteriorated substantially post 4.0.4 upgrade. The in call BT audio was crisp, loud and clear before the upgrade and now it's muddy, low in volume, and oscillates up and down and makes it impossible to hear the other party clearly. And this is constant.
The second issue is NOT whether the battery powers the unit, is that, after the 4.0.4 upgrade the rate of battery discharge has basically doubled.
Both of the above problems have been substantiated by other Galaxy Nexus users."

And I gave them a link to this thread.

I dunno, go buy a Razr/MAXX then, I hear it got ICS. I already explained its with that version of the radio for some people. The other version of 4.0.4 radios didn't have this issue. You can freely flash the radio without rooting your device, but if you don't want to take advice, then I don't recommend this phone for you.

All I can say is I'm enjoying Jelly Bean right now and I never had to root my phone. I'm still running the same radios from the first 4.0.4 leak and have no issues on 4.1 with bluetooth or LTE data transitions. We can teach you how to do all these things, but you gotta put at least somewhat of an effort. Your other option is to patiently (like 6-10 months) wait for updates to be brought to you by a different phone manufacturer and Verizon. You calling Samsung is utterly pointless as they do not deal with the software on this phone (despite Apple suing them for said software).

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I'm on 4.1 and was on 4.04 horrible Bluetooth on both versions.

I noticed a deterioration of bluetooth quality after 4.04 that was getting progressively worse. Now that I'm on 4.1 Jelly Bean, bluetooth is scary bad. Every 3-4 minutes my Plantronics BT earpiece says: "bluetooth disconnected", and then immediately says afterwards, "bluetooth reconnected". Again, this happens every 3-4 minutes at its worst until I reboot. Then it's fine for about 30-45 minutes until the same problems that EVERYONE else here describes starts all over again.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

but you gotta put at least somewhat of an effort.

I wouldn't say I am not putting in an effort:
  • I have my SGN fully customized to my satisfaction.
  • My phone, bought on the first day of release was working flawlessly until the 4.0.4 came along.
  • I contacted VZW and after a couple of calls, they sent me a refurbish phone.
  • The refurbish phone, has the same poor BT in call as my current phone.
  • I contacted Samsung and they asked for me to send the phone to them.
  • I sent the phone to them.
  • I called Samsung a few times, while the phone is in their hands to explain in painful detail about the actual issues.
  • I have two threads about this issue at two different Android forums.
  • Both of these threads have been shared with Samsung.
  • When Samsung communicated with me that they can't find anything wrong with the phone, I provided a detailed written explanation of the problems again and pointed them to this thread.

Based on above, I'd say that I have in fact put in a heck of lot of effort, so far. :) But I am not rooting my phone.

rufflez

Banned
Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I wouldn't say I am not putting in an effort:
  • I have my SGN fully customized to my satisfaction.
  • My phone, bought on the first day of release was working flawlessly until the 4.0.4 came along.
  • I contacted VZW and after a couple of calls, they sent me a refurbish phone.
  • The refurbish phone, has the same poor BT in call as my current phone.
  • I contacted Samsung and they asked for me to send the phone to them.
  • I sent the phone to them.
  • I called Samsung a few times, while the phone is in their hands to explain in painful detail about the actual issues.
  • I have two threads about this issue at two different Android forums.
  • Both of these threads have been shared with Samsung.
  • When Samsung communicated with me that they can't find anything wrong with the phone, I provided a detailed written explanation of the problems again and pointed them to this thread.

Based on above, I'd say that I have in fact put in a heck of lot of effort, so far. :) But I am not rooting my phone.

Then you don't read well either. You can do all of this on this phone without rooting because it has an unlocked bootloader. But you are complaining to the wrong people and it seems like venting rather than doing.