Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
Like Tree44Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    McSlappy's Avatar

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    With the rules the FCC imposed regarding LTE bidding on 700Mhz spectrum can they force you off of unlimited data?

    You Can Use Your Verizon Smartphone LTE SIM in an iPad (with Unlimited Data Plans & Hotspot too) – Verizon Responds | PhoneNews.com
  2. #2  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,462 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,495 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Let's just get one thing clear - no one is being "forced" off of unlimited data.

    You can choose to keep your plan or you can upgrade to a new plan. As long as they don't change on-contract terms, I think they'll be fine.

    Reading both
    You Can Use Your Verizon Smartphone LTE SIM in an iPad (with Unlimited Data Plans & Hotspot too) – Verizon Responds
    and Verizon Affirms Unlimited Smartphone SIM Card Usage in Hotspots, Tablets, LTE iPad, it makes it seem like Verizon won't cancel plans that have gone off-contract with unlimited data.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    I use about 200gigs a month so if they kick anyone off I'll be one of the first lol. And you will hear me raise hell. This month I'm gonna see if I can hit 1Tb go go gadget Netflix.
    jhtheking and markhallyo like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
    I use about 200gigs a month so if they kick anyone off I'll be one of the first lol. And you will hear me raise hell. This month I'm gonna see if I can hit 1Tb go go gadget Netflix.
    How the hell do you use 200gb a month?! I thought my 10-15gb was a lot jesus dude haha
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7
  5. #5  
    mhans311's Avatar

    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

    Default

    I didn't know it was possible to use 200gb in a month. It's a heavy month for me if I go over 2.

    Bionic'd from my tapatalk.
  6. #6  
    1fastmr2's Avatar

    Posts
    553 Posts
    ROM
    ?

    Default

    I agree 200G a month.....

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    hehubado's Avatar

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

    Default

    pics or it never Happend....

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by hehubado View Post
    pics or it never Happend....

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    I guess we need pics of your birth also.
    Phones: Droid (2009 original stock) --> Incredible --> Thunderbolt (Rooted/ROMed) --> Galaxy Nexus (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 2 (Rooted/ROMed) --> Note 3 (Stock) --> Note 4 (stock)
    Tablets: Tab 10.1 --> Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
    Watches: Pebble (original) --> Moto 360
  9. #9  
    mhans311's Avatar

    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I guess we need pics of your birth also.
    ?

    Bionic'd from my tapatalk.
  10. #10  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    It's 100% legal if it's a new contract. If they change your current contract, then depending on modification clauses, materiality of the term, and other factors it may or may not be "legal."

    Keep in mind, using the terms "legal" and "illegal" results in something of a misnomer; if VZW changes a material term and it "violates" the contract, that is not illegal. The result of that action is VZW breaching the contract, which gives you a variety of legal options--suing for the expectation, suing for reliance, etc. etc.
    Thanked by 6:
    2defmouze likes this.
  11. #11  
    Cigar-Junkie's Avatar

    Posts
    551 Posts
    Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
    I use about 200gigs a month so if they kick anyone off I'll be one of the first lol. And you will hear me raise hell. This month I'm gonna see if I can hit 1Tb go go gadget Netflix.
    Not trying to get ugly but you are the target of the new rate plan. I would think that it is in Verizon's best interest to encourage you to move to a different carrier, pay for what you are using, or modify your usage habits.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    It's 100% legal if it's a new contract. If they change your current contract, then depending on modification clauses, materiality of the term, and other factors it may or may not be "legal."

    Keep in mind, using the terms "legal" and "illegal" results in something of a misnomer; if VZW changes a material term and it "violates" the contract, that is not illegal. The result of that action is VZW breaching the contract, which gives you a variety of legal options--suing for the expectation, suing for reliance, etc. etc.
    Hahah I love how when I saw this my mind raced to the same things. Dmmarck posts very good points and Verizon isn't stupid. Technically a material change would be something like they would no long let you use data service unless you do x y and z. However they can put a limit on how much you use and that wouldn't be a material modification because you still have access to the same service and technically you have unlimited with a tiered plan but you get a discounted rate from only using 2gb or whatever amount you pay for.
    Thanked by 3:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    McSlappy's Avatar

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    It's 100% legal if it's a new contract. If they change your current contract, then depending on modification clauses, materiality of the term, and other factors it may or may not be "legal."

    Keep in mind, using the terms "legal" and "illegal" results in something of a misnomer; if VZW changes a material term and it "violates" the contract, that is not illegal. The result of that action is VZW breaching the contract, which gives you a variety of legal options--suing for the expectation, suing for reliance, etc. etc.
    I was more looking at the referred to stipulations that were imposed by the FCC referred to in the linked article. If in bidding for the new 700Mhz space that they built they're LTE network in is there possibly a clause in there that would prevent them from their new limiting plans? I don't know all the legal mumbo jumbo or the FCC particulars. Was hoping someone that does understand all this stuff may have some insight on it.

    For example they didn't want you to be able to move your data sim between devices and had to back down about it because of the agreement they made for the 700Mhz spectrum.
  14. #14  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlappy View Post
    I was more looking at the referred to stipulations that were imposed by the FCC referred to in the linked article. If in bidding for the new 700Mhz space that they built they're LTE network in is there possibly a clause in there that would prevent them from their new limiting plans? I don't know all the legal mumbo jumbo or the FCC particulars. Was hoping someone that does understand all this stuff may have some insight on it.

    For example they didn't want you to be able to move your data sim between devices and had to back down about it because of the agreement they made for the 700Mhz spectrum.
    While FCC work is above my pay grade (i've only done comment letters at an internship), I doubt it unless the FCC themselves wanted to impose a high level cap to reduce strain in case it needs to be used for emergency--X amount of users at any given Y time. Past that, I'm not away of anything from the FCC stating that Verizon can't "divvy" up their allocable portion as they see fit.

    IIRC, the 700mhz space is the D block; if so, congress has failed to auction it off (I believe twice at this point) and its main use was supposed to be emergency uses, so as to avoid another 9/11 network jam.

    That being said, these contracts are so complex that I highly doubt this issue would not be covered. The update in your article sort of alludes to this b/c you're "technically" buy the sim card, and thus you're paying for the plan and space regardless of device. There's also an issue about grandfathering, which in actual, legal terms means that you have prior contractual rights that are still enforceable.

    Further, I can't see the FCC giving an honest damn unless they thought they could squeeze more money out of VZW for it--which is probably what's happening, if anything. If it's the "failed to sell" D Block, they're reeling a bit b/c they thought it would sell immediately. Instead major carriers/markets basically gave them a giant bird and waited them out.
  15. #15  
    GNex Girl's Avatar

    Posts
    737 Posts
    Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Technically a material change would be something like they would no long let you use data service unless you do x y and z. However they can put a limit on how much you use and that wouldn't be a material modification because you still have access to the same service and technically you have unlimited with a tiered plan but you get a discounted rate from only using 2gb or whatever amount you pay for.
    A material change is whatever you can convince a judge a material change is. Do you have any cases to back up your contention or are you just making this up as you go?
  16. #16  
    Android_Lee's Avatar
    Android Addict

    Posts
    711 Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Verizon, or any wireless carrier, can make any changes to your contract at any time they wish. However, if they fail to notify you of the change BEFORE said change happens, then you should have the option to terminate your contract without ETF. However, if they do give you notice that they are making changes, then you really can't do anything without paying the ETF.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted
  17. #17  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by GNex Girl View Post
    A material change is whatever you can convince a judge a material change is. Do you have any cases to back up your contention or are you just making this up as you go?
    While there is some pragmatic truth to this statement, there are treatises, casebooks, and all sorts of information that define what a material change is, particularly within a jurisdiction that has transposed the Second Restatement.

    If you would like them, I suggest starting with E. Allan Farnsworth - Contracts. It is the best practical treatise in existence.
    2defmouze likes this.
  18. #18  
    7stringer's Avatar
    I have The Rickets

    Posts
    942 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted and Ever-Changing

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    I kind of see it this way, plainly: You sign a 2-year agreement, which doesn't/shouldn't change in those two years. However, once you decide to re-sign a contract, be it to get a new phone or whatever, you're now forgoing your previous contract (or it has expired) in place of the new one. You're agreeing to the newest conditions of a new contract, so nothing is really "illegal" or "not legal" on Verizon's part.

    Verizon isn't forcing you to give up a contract or plan that you only signed for 2 years. They're committed to that length of time only. If you want a new phone, and the only way to maintain your unlimited plan is to buy the phone outright, that's up to you. If you want a subsidized price and choose to go on contract for 2 "new" years, you're at the company's will and whatever new system is in place.
    I wipe Dalvik in my sleep.

    Shameless self-promotion: my free music.

    www.soundclick.com/ericrose
    Thanked by 5:
  19. #19  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7stringer View Post
    I kind of see it this way, plainly: You sign a 2-year agreement, which doesn't/shouldn't change in those two years. However, once you decide to re-sign a contract, be it to get a new phone or whatever, you're now forgoing your previous contract (or it has expired) in place of the new one. You're agreeing to the newest conditions of a new contract, so nothing is really "illegal" or "not legal" on Verizon's part.

    Verizon isn't forcing you to give up a contract or plan that you only signed for 2 years. They're committed to that length of time only. If you want a new phone, and the only way to maintain your unlimited plan is to buy the phone outright, that's up to you. If you want a subsidized price and choose to go on contract for 2 years, you're at the company's will and whatever new system is in place.
    Bingo was his name-o .
    Thanked by 3:
    JDWallacejrocRy 
    JDWallace likes this.
  20. #20  
    GNex Girl's Avatar

    Posts
    737 Posts
    Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    While there is some pragmatic truth to this statement, there are treatises, casebooks, and all sorts of information that define what a material change is, particularly within a jurisdiction that has transposed the Second Restatement.

    If you would like them, I suggest starting with E. Allan Farnsworth - Contracts. It is the best practical treatise in existence.
    Thanks but I am well versed in this area. Materiality is just as subjective of a standard as reasonable doubt is. Or obscenity for that matter. As with all of these standards, it is highly fact dependent.

    The poster whom I was responding to was making it out to be cut and dry what is a material contract change and what is not . It is far from cut and dry.

    And in none of what you have cited is there a case on point. If you think I am wrong, then cite to it.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    McSlappy's Avatar

    Posts
    94 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by Android_Lee View Post
    Verizon, or any wireless carrier, can make any changes to your contract at any time they wish. However, if they fail to notify you of the change BEFORE said change happens, then you should have the option to terminate your contract without ETF. However, if they do give you notice that they are making changes, then you really can't do anything without paying the ETF.
    I'm exaggerating just to make a point. But if you buy a data plan and get locked in at $30 a month for 2 years, I don't think they could after a couple months in give you notice in advance, and say that same service is now going to cost you $600 a month and sorry your are locked in to your previous contract date for the next 18 months.
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,929 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by GNex Girl View Post
    Thanks but I am well versed in this area. Materiality is just as subjective of a standard as reasonable doubt is. Or obscenity for that matter. As with all of these standards, it is highly fact dependent.

    The poster whom I was responding to was making it out to be cut and dry what is a material contract change and what is not . It is far from cut and dry.

    And in none of what you have cited is there a case on point. If you think I am wrong, then cite to it.
    In everything I cited there is a case in point. Go look at them first before saying there isn't; these are materials used in practice, not just some random "let me Google this and win an internet argument" type thing. Hell, if he tells me the state I can go and find cases myself on Lexis and Westlaw that will give him the applicable standard.

    Everything is fact dependent; that does not remove or change the standards used. Also, reasonableness is an objective standard in the legal world. Not a subjective one. You may believe it to be subjective, and there are arguments to support that, particularly nowadays, but at its root is the need for an objective standard by which to judge human conduct.
    JDWallace likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bignaz View Post
    I use about 200gigs a month so if they kick anyone off I'll be one of the first lol. And you will hear me raise hell. This month I'm gonna see if I can hit 1Tb go go gadget Netflix.
    You're the reason were all getting booted!
    Thanked by:
  24. #24  
    GNex Girl's Avatar

    Posts
    737 Posts
    Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by McSlappy View Post
    I was more looking at the referred to stipulations that were imposed by the FCC referred to in the linked article. If in bidding for the new 700Mhz space that they built they're LTE network in is there possibly a clause in there that would prevent them from their new limiting plans? I don't know all the legal mumbo jumbo or the FCC particulars. Was hoping someone that does understand all this stuff may have some insight on it.

    For example they didn't want you to be able to move your data sim between devices and had to back down about it because of the agreement they made for the 700Mhz spectrum.
    Your point is flying over the heads of those posting here.
  25. #25  
    GNex Girl's Avatar

    Posts
    737 Posts
    Global Posts
    736 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.0.4

    Default Re: Is it Legal for Verizon to to boot you off Unlimited?

    Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    In everything I cited there is a case in point.
    Huh? I said case ON point. That phrase has a specific meaning in the law. And nothing you have written cites to a case ON point.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions