Travel To Europe, Using GPS

jonasmckee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Last year I took my Bionic to Germany and Austria and used wifi for all my skyping and email.. but gps stunk..it could never lock the satelites... i read somewhere that it needs data or wifi for the gps to lock, is this true with the nexus? I am going in august back to austria.. would love to be able to use the gps

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The GPS should work fine over there but the wifi/data part is to load the maps the phone uses to correlated your location. GPS only supplies the phone co-ordinance but no other data.

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i was in your boat and am happy to say that, while on my Droid X, GPS absolutely required a known wifi router in order to ultimately get a lock (and that was also sketchy), i had no trouble in Germany, Belgium and Holland this time with my gnex. and if you want to download maps to navigate, Sygic is a really good navigation application and worth the $50.

gdubs2013

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I am in Germany right now with no data and wifi turned off on my GNex to test it and it doesn't seem to want to work right now. I am not sure if it would be different with a wifi signal but in Germany (at least the area I am in) doesn't have much of free wifi at all. You would be better off just using a map to navigate and if you find wifi pay for a quick session to get map data and a location signal.