wet phone

nick96ss

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
ultimate dumbass move ...
i had my galaxy nexus in my pocket while i was in the pool for about a half hour before i realized it was there
i removed the battery vacuumed the phone and set it in rice. will sit in rice over night ...
the phone was rooted and romed ....if it doesnt work in the morning ....what is my next step ?
i cant send it back ....being that it was romed .....
i'm lost ...i have insurance ....please any info would help

thanks

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
ultimate dumbass move ...
i had my galaxy nexus in my pocket while i was in the pool for about a half hour before i realized it was there
i removed the battery vacuumed the phone and set it in rice. will sit in rice over night ...
the phone was rooted and romed ....if it doesnt work in the morning ....what is my next step ?
i cant send it back ....being that it was romed .....
i'm lost ...i have insurance ....please any info would help

thanks

If it never boots up ever again you can file an insurance claim--that's different than a warranty, and as AFAIK, they don't care if you're rooted/rom'ed. (If that's incorrect, please correct me).

Make sure the battery is OUT, and keep it in rice for at least 48 hours. If it doesn't work in the morning, I'd wait another day before declaring it "dead."

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If you have insurance through verizon, you don't even have to send it back as it even covers loss or theft. You will just have to pay the $100 deductible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
i guess its gonna have to accidentally fall down an elevator shaft

They're gonna see the water damage on it if you send it to Verizon. And if it was something like that you would have to file a claim anyway. You're not gonna be able to get out of the 100 dollar deductible if it doesn't work

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I wanna test a theory for water damaged phones. Get a Ziploc bag, put a drop of ammonia on a bunch of cotton balls and put them in the bag with the phone. That SHOULD pull the moisture out of the phone rather well

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem with a wet phone is rarely the water but the corrosion it causes or the stuff left behind after the water dries.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The problem with a wet phone is rarely the water but the corrosion it causes or the stuff left behind after the water dries.

Correct. Soda/sugary stuff is the worst. My roommate and my original MB learned that lesson the hard way...

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Even if you were to get all the water out and be successful in not showings trace of it, its not that which they look for, its the little stickers that are throughout the phone that turns into a different color which let's them know that there was water damage at one point. Once it has changed color it is impossible to get it back to its original form. Hope this helps, and sorry bout your phone :(

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I had water damage once on my Nexus. A combination of rice plus the oven trick brought it back to life completely with no apparent damage. Note: it took about 8-12 hours AFTER applying these methods before the Nexus went back to complete normal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ed Ke6bnl

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it will work BUT I do refrigeration and if you can find someone that does he can put it in a ball jar like I did for my daughters old phone years ago and put a vacuum for about 12 hours in the sun and it will remove all moisture and water, MIGHT EVEN CLEAR THE COLOR CHANGE IN THE PHONES INDICATOR. (ps they do now have vacuum food machines that may help with ball jar attachment not as good a vacuum as an expensive vacuum pump for refrigeration) ED

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure it will work BUT I do refrigeration and if you can find someone that does he can put it in a ball jar like I did for my daughters old phone years ago and put a vacuum for about 12 hours in the sun and it will remove all moisture and water, MIGHT EVEN CLEAR THE COLOR CHANGE IN THE PHONES INDICATOR. (ps they do now have vacuum food machines that may help with ball jar attachment not as good a vacuum as an expensive vacuum pump for refrigeration) ED

Rice is still a better way. The extreme low pressure can damage a smartphone and will never fix the moisture indicators nothing will.