Signal Woes

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Sitting next to someone who has a Verizon iPhone with 4 bars and my Nexus had zero. Airplane on and off, no luck, restart and I have one bar.

If I request a replacement phone will I get better signal or is this just what it is? I always have to grab my wife's incredible 2 to look things up whenever we are indoors somewhere, its becoming increasingly embarrassing for someone who takes pride in their phone.

I am typing all of this without signal and am sending it at a later time when my phone will work lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sitting next to someone who has a Verizon iPhone with 4 bars and my Nexus had zero. Airplane on and off, no luck, restart and I have one bar.

If I request a replacement phone will I get better signal or is this just what it is? I always have to grab my wife's incredible 2 to look things up whenever we are indoors somewhere, its becoming increasingly embarrassing for someone who takes pride in their phone.

I am typing all of this without signal and am sending it at a later time when my phone will work lol.

What version of Android are you on? Signal issues are widespread and known. There are things you can do to alleviate them, but there are also things that you cannot change.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently did a warranty swap, received a refurbed unit, and it's holding a signal better. Still nowhere my wife's iPhone, but it's better. It's worth a try.

I was commenting in a earlier thread how I hope radio strength is going to be a major bullet point in future phone reviews, as it's going to be a dealbreaker in my phone selection.

I LOVE my Nexus, but I'm considering swapping for a Razor Maxx or the next best thing, if it's known to have a strong radio. (I REALLY don't want to do this...)

I'd love to stay within the Nexus line, but as I work in IT, and work long hours inside, where the signal is weak, and there is no wifi, this is getting rediculous. And I also hate having to ask my wife for her iPhone because my phone has crapped out.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am on 4.04, rooted but not running any custom roms.

When my signals good its good but anywhere where signal is medium or iffy then I am just carrying a paper weight.

Only thing I would upgrade to would be the s3 but then I run the risk of having the same lame radios.

I love Motorola but unfortunately they don't have anything enticing to offer in my opinion.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Don't look at the bars; they mean nothing. I've seen phones with full bars and a -100 dBm. Go to Settings --> About Phone --> Status and look at Signal Strength.

Don't worry if you show no bars. Did you try to send messages or make a call with no bars? There are times when I have no bars and at -120 dBm and have no issues at all.

But if you are dropping calls, then swap it out for a replacement. I'm on my third and it's a keeper. Bottom line though, don't play the "I have more bars than you" game; get the actual signal strength,

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't look at the bars; they mean nothing. I've seen phones with full bars and a -100 dBm. Go to Settings --> About Phone --> Status and look at Signal Strength.

Don't worry if you show no bars. Did you try to send messages or make a call with no bars? There are times when I have no bars and at -120 dBm and have no issues at all.

But if you are dropping calls, then swap it out for a replacement. I'm on my third and it's a keeper. Bottom line though, don't play the "I have more bars than you" game; get the actual signal strength,

Bingo. Right now I have zero bars on 3G and able to text and post this response. I don't even bother looking at the bars anymore. Thing is with this phone is that shows the real signal, not a inflated one. There is a link in a post from 2defmouze that explains the whole signal "issues". But if you are dropping calls left and right or can't send texts you have a defective device and should replace it.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1814396

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The thing is I never have any problems with calls, my signal issues are all data related. Dozens of times I had to borrow a phone to look something up (a Verizon phone) but not once have I ever lost a call or had issues as far as that goes.

When I have data signal its awesome but in iffy places where other people have 1 or 2 bars and their internet is slow mine is completely non existent.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
...I don't even bother looking at the bars anymore.

Great advice, especially for this phone.

I got this phone a couple months ago. I did all my research, which really means coming to AC to read the forums, so I knew about the signal issues. I became obsessed with looking at how many bars I had. Then as I got more comfortable with the phone, I just ignore the bars.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The thing is I never have any problems with calls, my signal issues are all data related. Dozens of times I had to borrow a phone to look something up (a Verizon phone) but not once have I ever lost a call or had issues as far as that goes.

When I have data signal its awesome but in iffy places where other people have 1 or 2 bars and their internet is slow mine is completely non existent.

Ok, this was the issue my first two phones had. Couldn't keep a data connection. I think my first phone was actually ok, but I was just paranoid about the signal strength. But the second phone definitely had the data connection issue. Third phone was the charm for me.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

While I agree that the bars mean nothing the dBm does. I have only had my Gnex for about a week and have not had a dropped call or no signal problem. But I do regularly see signal strength readings of -100 dBm to -120 dBm. This low signal has to be contributing to the terrible battery life I am experiencing. Even though I would rather keep the Gnex I am thinking about changing to the Maxx or SGS III.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
While I agree that the bars mean nothing the dBm does. I have only had my Gnex for about a week and have not had a dropped call or no signal problem. But I do regularly see signal strength readings of -100 dBm to -120 dBm. This low signal has to be contributing to the terrible battery life I am experiencing. Even though I would rather keep the Gnex I am thinking about changing to the Maxx or SGS III.

Go to Settings --> Battery --> (Tap on) Cell Standby. See what your time without a signal says.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Time without a signal is 9%. Does that mean I should exchange the phone?

That doesn't sound too bad. In comparison, my first (or second) phone would have a time without signal regularly in the 40's. Sometimes it was as high as 58%.

With the Nexus I have now, I don't even show a time without a signal, meaning it hasn't lost it at all. And it's either been in my pocket or the basement (my office) most of the day. I've looked at it before and it's been 1 or 2%.

The 4.0.4 update has helped this phone a lot. It couldn't hurt to do a swap; except you'll end up with a certified like new. Others have had great success with those though.

genomecop

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that personally, the "time without a signal" on my Nexus is bunk. Last night while walking around Manhattan I showed no bars, though I know that means nothing. But I had no Data signal at all...for blocks and blocks I tried to search the web and use my maps app. all to no avail. Yet checking my phone says I have "0" as time without signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20