On my 3rd Galaxy Nexus

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So far, I'm on my 3rd Galaxy Nexus due to microphone issues. If this one has the microphone cut out like the other two (hard to make a call when it does that) should I request a different phone or just see if they can make it so I can leave ETF free and go pre-paid?

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I went through four before I found the winner (#4). I am happy I stuck it out. But... the whole pre-paid thing is another ballpark and totally up to you.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I went through four before I found the winner (#4). I am happy I stuck it out. But... the whole pre-paid thing is another ballpark and totally up to you.

I love the phone, just getting fed up with the problems. I mean, the mic shouldn't cut out at random during calls, I shouldn't get one with a blown out earpiece, etc....Not to mention the slow ass updates from Verizon.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Strange failure, are they DOA or do the phone fail after a few weeks? I don't see how you could have three phones with a defective microphone, it's a pretty simple piece of the phone. I wonder if you are holding the phone in an unusual way or if you are a low talker or if you are doing something that makes it think there is noise and some noise suppression code is causing the mic to cut out.

As for the general question about replacing the GN with an S3, I'd wait to see the S3 before I made the decision. Some reviews of the S3 have said that the screen is less bright than the GN, that sounds unlikely to me but if true it would be a reason to stick with the GN. Otherwise the S3 has a few improvements over the GN, none of them very important. The CPU is slightly faster, but I doubt anyone would notice that because the GN is fast enough. It has a better camera, that's nice but not really important. It has 2G of RAM, that's a feature that's potentially very important for future updates. It has a uSD card slot, that's nice but with 32G of FLASH in the GN I don't think that actually matters. It also has HDMI out, sounds cool but probably useless. The slightly bigger screen might be nice, but not if it's dim. The downside is that it's not a Nexus device, however the Verizon GN isn't being treated like a Nexus device anyway, who knows when we'll see Jelly Bean. It's possible that the S3 will get Jelly Bean before the GN.

If it were me I'd take the S3 if I liked the screen otherwise I'd stick with the GN.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Strange failure, are they DOA or do the phone fail after a few weeks? I don't see how you could have three phones with a defective microphone, it's a pretty simple piece of the phone. I wonder if you are holding the phone in an unusual way or if you are a low talker or if you are doing something that makes it think there is noise and some noise suppression code is causing the mic to cut out.

As for the general question about replacing the GN with an S3, I'd wait to see the S3 before I made the decision. Some reviews of the S3 have said that the screen is less bright than the GN, that sounds unlikely to me but if true it would be a reason to stick with the GN. Otherwise the S3 has a few improvements over the GN, none of them very important. The CPU is slightly faster, but I doubt anyone would notice that because the GN is fast enough. It has a better camera, that's nice but not really important. It has 2G of RAM, that's a feature that's potentially very important for future updates. It has a uSD card slot, that's nice but with 32G of FLASH in the GN I don't think that actually matters. It also has HDMI out, sounds cool but probably useless. The slightly bigger screen might be nice, but not if it's dim. The downside is that it's not a Nexus device, however the Verizon GN isn't being treated like a Nexus device anyway, who knows when we'll see Jelly Bean. It's possible that the S3 will get Jelly Bean before the GN.

If it were me I'd take the S3 if I liked the screen otherwise I'd stick with the GN.

The mics don't fail completely, they just stop working at random times. I've seen other posts saying the same thing here. As for the earpiece on this one, it was that way when I pulled it out of the box.

As for the HDMI out, I picked up a MHL adapter for my GN for an upcoming trip.

I definitely agree with you about how Verizon isn't treating the GN as a true Nexus device......