GPS Question- Going from USA to Canada

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a rooted Gnex, and I was wondering if there are any apps that do offline GPS? I'll be in Canada where data roaming will be very expensive, but I was hoping to use my phone's GPS to reach my destination. Any help would be great. Thanks!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Well the GPS functionality itself will work regardless of the presence/status of a data connection, of course. As far as guided navigation, however, that may be a different story. Offline maps were just formally announced with Jelly Bean, and likely allow for navigation using those saved maps. Other than 4.1, I know that there are ways of using cached offline maps on Android. For example, when finding directions and starting navigation, "important" maps (such as those close to you, close to your destination, the initially suggested route, and alternate routes) are automatically cached on the phone so that navigation may continue when a data connection has been lost during transit.

If your destination is a single location in Canada (for example, the 150-mile trip from Seattle, WA to Vancouver, BC) you should be able to start navigation on this side of the border, turn airplane mode on when you cross into Canada (to prevent any errant signal/network switching from disrupting your navigation or cached maps), and continue guided navigation to your destination.

Disclaimers:

• I can't guarantee the level of detail (especially when zooming in) that will be preserved in pre-4.1 offline maps. You'll have to test that yourself, which you can do by entering any guided route and turning off data.
  • I believe that without a data connection, some voice announcements (turns, street names, etc.) do not occur.
  • Be aware that with increasing distance may come increasing difficulties. While 4.1 should definitely be able to handle longer trips, pre-4.1 caching may not take longer trips as gracefully. There may very well be a file size limit on cached maps, and I doubt there is a way to see such a limit, much less to increase it.
  • I don't believe pre-4.1 Maps will cache more than what it sees as "currently relevant mapping data." Be wary of extensive changes in route if you're really depending on the navigation.
  • It's four in the morning for me. I'm.. tired? :-\ Hopefully someone else can validate what I've said here.

Bonus:

• You should be able to cache these maps over WiFi -- it is, after all, a data connection. You could try stopping along your route in Canada to restart navigation (and re-cache maps) if you run into a problem. You should also be able to pull off navigation while in Canada by caching maps over WiFi in a similar fasion.

Edit: I like your signature. :D

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am visiting Canada this well. Using a razr maxx on GB. Data roaming does not work.

I downloaded navfree (Canada version). Its free and in works fine. You have to find your destination on the map then mark it as a favorite then route to it. It does text to speach and reroutes if you miss your turn.

Its a big program download before you get here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: zkSharks

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Good info. Thanks guys!

ghbishop's solution seems much more concise than mine (his post sure was.. :-\), but I'm still going to look into the stock caching functionality. Check back in once you've done the navigating? I'd be interested to hear which options you tried and how they performed.

gwhamil

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
There is an app called Sygic in the play store. It allows you to download maps ahead of time. You could download all of Canada if you want. It does turn by turn voice navigation. It is s paid app, but you get a two week free trial. I used it on a trip out west because i knew there were places in the middle of Nevada, New Mexico, etc.where i would not be able to get a cell signal. It worked very well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084