Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent talks.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus."

Ridiculous. Google has to start defending android, and going on the offense about it. The whole reason they bought moto was to have an arsenal of patents to fight back with.. waiting for that to show itself. Android alone should have enough behind it that is clearly kanged by apple that Google can fight back on the OS itself.

I mean I get that it's a slippery slope, and they want to take the high road and just innovate and make a better product, but they can't just let apple keep attacking and getting these frivolous lawsuits and injunctions held up. There has to be some retaliation.

Reactions: chubb

VAVA Mk2

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Ridiculous. Google has to start defending android, and going on the offense about it. The whole reason they bought moto was to have an arsenal of patents to fight back with.. waiting for that to show itself. Android alone should have enough behind it that is clearly kanged by apple that Google can fight back on the OS itself.

I mean I get that it's a slippery slope, and they want to take the high road and just innovate and make a better product, but they can't just let apple keep attacking and getting these frivolous lawsuits and injunctions held up. There has to be some retaliation.

From what I have read so far, a lot of the Motorola patents are FRAND patents :-\

Reactions: chubb

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

Patent system is seriously broken! They have a limit of what they can and cannot approve in a given time frame, almost like a speeding ticket quota - and yes that what was told to me by a patent attorney - took six years for me to get my patent. :(

jonsnowden

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Apples a bunch of clowns and the patent law is such a joke. The fact that they pursued such a ridiculous claim shows how scared they are. Like I little girl that makes up a lie to get what she wants. I hope apple gets Sandusky'ed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Reno Skyy

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I think google is really going to come out and start blasting apple here soon. If they get that notification patent oh hell apple you better watch out. You keep poking the sleeping Giant pretty soon it wakes up and i dont think apple understands what they are really getting themselves into. If google gets the iphone off the market even temporarily apple is in trouble, they do not have the ton of different devices like android does only 1 model with all the same software.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

Makes me feel pretty badass to have a phone that's banned in the U.S. "Hey is that a Nexus!?" You're damn right it is.

Reactions: ajnevares

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Apple...the original AOKP?

Apple: Original Killer of Products :D In all seriousness though, I agree with what's been said. Someone needs to step up and make the point that such lawsuits aren't okay to this degree. I have no ill will towards Apple after their lawsuit against the original 10.1.

I recognize that a patent in question here involves integrated/combined search. I think it's unfortunate that they have the patent, but that remains the most justifiable part of this lawsuit. However, the patent on slide-to-unlock is simply too vague (as are other patents, such as the patent on the MacBook Air's "clamshell" design).

Current academics are behind the current technology, current law is behind current academics, and current intellectual property rights (specifically patents) are behind current law. It's unfortunate.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

The Tab 10.1, I can understand. Apple basically invented the modern tablet, and Samsung ripped it off.

The Nexus phone, now that is pushing it. IDC what, Apple did NOT patent smartphones. The iPhone made apps popular. But to claim that the Nexus is a copy of the iPhone is just ridiculous.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I think them trying to ban a product like the nexus for a slide to unlock is complete bs. Put the nexus and iphone lock screen next to each other and only an apple brainwashed isheep would say that it infringes on the 1 static motion that apple allows on their unlock.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Clearly the Android phone is edging up to Apple and they are getting scared. HTC,Samsung,Motorola,Microsoft. Who haven't they gone after.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site

Question, can't Judges be voted out of their positions? If there is enough public outcry about this can't they actually vote them out?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Question, can't Judges be voted out of their positions? If there is enough public outcry about this can't they actually vote them out?

That's not happening, especially not over the Galaxy Nexus and an old tablet getting banned.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Makes me feel pretty badass to have a phone that's banned in the U.S. "Hey is that a Nexus!?" You're damn right it is.

wow... I never thought I'm badass enough to owned something that may be banned in all 50 States!

You know... if the injunction turns into a permanent ban... won't that turn my Galaxy Nexus into
a piece of history?

Finally... I can get this case for my Galaxy Nexus!!!!! :D
29136d1341033151-apple-lands-preliminary-ban-against-samsung-galaxy-nexus-badassgalaxynexuscovers.jpg

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The chances of that happening are extremely low. However, it's not entirely unlikely for appeals on decisions such as this to move up a level in the judicial system, or to move to a dedicated court of appeals. In either case, the case would probably see a new judge, although there's no guarantee that the judge won't be in agreement with the original decision.

Shirke

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site

Funny how its done after Jelly Bean was recently announced.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

What does Apple think is going to happen to many of us who prefer Android phones if they manage to ban all of them, which is what they clearly want to do? Do they think we'll all just roll over and buy iPhones?

I, for one, will not. I haven't owned an Apple product since the mid-90s, and though I tried it briefly years ago, I have never used iTunes to purchase or manage any audio or video files. That will not be changing.

McSlappy

May 13, 2012
Visit site

What does Apple think is going to happen to many of us who prefer Android phones if they manage to ban all of them, which is what they clearly want to do? Do they think we'll all just roll over and buy iPhones?

I, for one, will not. I haven't owned an Apple product since the mid-90s, and though I tried it briefly years ago, I have never used iTunes to purchase or manage any audio or video files. That will not be changing.

Well this is true. Normally I have found the apple product to be an inferior, and limited toy for those that don't know what they are doing. However after this stuff I will actively dissuade people from purchasing Apple.

The real Winner will be Windows Phone I think and I'm fine with that. The only reason I went with the Gnex when I did was to get locked in to a 2 year unlimited 4G on VZN. If there was a WP 8 out on VZW I would have gotten that. Or if they weren't pulling plan swapping BS I would have waited. But this phone will works awesomely for the next two years and then we'll see what is around then. I'm guessing mostly WP8 devices. Active tiles are close enough to widgets for me on the large ones and the smallest are basically Icons so.............

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

here is a comment from Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet, ?It?s no coincidence that Samsung?s latest products looks a lot like the iPhone and iPad

Click to view quoted image

Am I missing something on the look alike part??? Seriously, anyone who can't tell those apart needs to stick to a rotary dial land line phone instead of a smart phone anyway.

I don't care what kind of phone you use, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence. Sent using tapatalk 2.
2011.09.12_similarities.png

Reactions: TnA206 and jdcnosse

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

The Tab 10.1, I can understand. Apple basically invented the modern tablet, and Samsung ripped it off.

The Nexus phone, now that is pushing it. IDC what, Apple did NOT patent smartphones. The iPhone made apps popular. But to claim that the Nexus is a copy of the iPhone is just ridiculous.

Disagree... Microsoft debuted the original surface tablet back in 2003, some 7-8 years before the ipad...
article-0-002F89B300000258-450_634x469.jpg

Apple didn't invent tablets or the design. They just finally made one that was all shiny and iOS-y and that people sheep wanted. They certainly have NO actual claim to the basic shape and design of tablet computers.