Why won't disabled apps stay disabled?

JarodL

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I know this was discussed in the past but the last post I saw was hopefully it will be fixed in 4.04. Now that 4.04 is out and it hasn't been fixed has anyone come across any other solutions?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I know this was discussed in the past but the last post I saw was hopefully it will be fixed in 4.04. Now that 4.04 is out and it hasn't been fixed has anyone come across any other solutions?

The only time I've ever run into this was after disabling a running application without stopping it first. It showed as disabled, yet continued to function normally even after stopping it and rebooting. Since then, I make a habit of: (1) force stop, (2) clear data/uninstall updates, (3) disable. Reclaims storage space and ensures the apps are properly disabled. ;)

JarodL

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Google Books, Google Earth and Google+ all come back to life after being disabled. The rest of the apps I have disabled, stay disabled.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Google Books, Google Earth and Google+ all come back to life after being disabled. The rest of the apps I have disabled, stay disabled.

It doesn't seem like a coincidence that it's three Google apps behaving that way. The only thing that comes to mind is something odd with a custom ROM, if you're running one. I can't think of any other reasons offhand, perhaps someone else may be able to help. :-\

Edit: any idea if they're being updated when they become active again? It could be odd behavior by Google Play.

JarodL

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not running a custom ROM. I know this was a pretty common issue when the phone came out.

They will appear after a reset or when I go to the play store and check to see if updates are available for all of my apps.

chryssy67

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to Android. I have the Samsung Galaxy 7 with Android 2.3.5 and I've had to use several Task Killers to keep apps from turning themselves on. I've learned that apps can run in the background regardless of whether you're using them or not. I've had to go in and force close apps, but not only is that time consuming but it is also frustrating to see the same app running in 15 minutes again! :mad:

So what is the secret to making apps stay OFF until you want to use them? Or is this part of the Android design?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can actually check to see how much power the app is using by installing the GAam Battery Monitor app from the playstore.
Its a very usefull app imo.
I havent ever used Task killers or would I recommend them.I think you will find you use more battery juice to try and stop them from running(and see them running again shortly) then from leaving them alone

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android. I have the Samsung Galaxy 7 with Android 2.3.5 and I've had to use several Task Killers to keep apps from turning themselves on. I've learned that apps can run in the background regardless of whether you're using them or not. I've had to go in and force close apps, but not only is that time consuming but it is also frustrating to see the same app running in 15 minutes again! :mad:

So what is the secret to making apps stay OFF until you want to use them? Or is this part of the Android design?

Certain apps will always run because either there bloat from the carrier or there needed by the android os. What apps are restarting them selves. Also task killers are nothing but bad news please don't use one its for your own good :)

Edit: also disable apps is only supported In android 4.0+ forceclosing an app is different then disabling an app

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

It's part of Android's design. Do not use task killers with Android.

Droid Den ? Android Guide: Should I Use a Task Killer

What Is a Process?

A process is an activity that can be performed by 1 or more applications. When you think of an application actually doing something, for example playing music, posting a message to facebook or syncing your rss feed, these are processes. However, it is important to note that just because a process exists, does not mean it may be actually; doing anything. If you like, it may be easier to say that processes may be in an idle or active state.

What Is an Application?

An application is something that makes use of many different processes to provide you with some wanted functionality. For example, the official facebook or twitter apps. An application may also be idle or active, depending if it has any active processes currently associated with it.

When you leave an application, that application is allowed to keep its process running in the background (true multitasking) allowing it to carry on doing whatever work it needs to do. For example continue to download the rest of a webpage or playing music. However, just because an application leaves processes ?running? in the background, does not mean they are actually doing anything at all. They are being kept in memory just in case you are going to use them again soon. Many people cite this as a battery drain, nothing could be further from the truth however. Storing a footprint of an application in memory uses exactly the same amount of battery as it would if that section of memory is free. If you continue to open applications, then more of your memory will be used.

Eventually there will be no memory left, time to use a task killer? No! Android is smart enough to recognise when it is running low on available memory, and will start to close those apps that it deems are low priority. The way it determines priority means that those apps you have used least, and are not core to the phone will be closed down first. This does not include apps that are currently in the foreground, or as mentioned core apps such as the clock alarm. When android does close apps itself to free up memory, it does this in a very clever way in that the next time a closed app is reopened, it will restore it as if it had never been closed in the first place (this is similar to what iOS actually calls it?;s main multitasking, laughable I know).

The key point to take from the above is, that task killers are completely not required, and actually interfere with how the android os works under the hood.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21