Let's guess how long our JB official OTA will take!

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Or possibly, they're the only ones smart enough to keep the update secret until it's been tested and approved on every carrier.

But they also allow devs to install the latest Beta build and also help out with testing. If they're not allowed without Verizon's blessings, then Verizon is likely testing these Beta updates along with everyone else who can get their hands on it.

But this is Apple we're talking about here. Almost everyone has put Apple so high atop this pedestal of quality that no one thinks they could possibly mess up or create a product that wasn't the best it could be (don't argue semantics, it was a blanket statement).

But we know better than that, if Google Now is any indication.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I seriously think Google needs to start standing behind their Nexus line. Otherwise what is a Nexus device? just a phone without a skin. It is suppose to be more then that.

When Apple releases a new update, they say everyone can update next week. When Google releases an update no one says a word. What is so hard for Verizon to release. Google does all the work here. All they need to do is add in the correct radios.

Amazing you do not even get a peep of when an official update will be coming to Verizon or even Sprint. These companies really destroyed the Nexus line.

I do not understand why people but a Nexus phone on Sprint or Verizon if you are not going to root it. If you want the updates it seems like that is your only option or wait 6 months like every other skinned Android device. At that point, why get a Nexus.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I seriously think Google needs to start standing behind their Nexus line. Otherwise what is a Nexus device? just a phone without a skin. It is suppose to be more then that.

When Apple releases a new update, they say everyone can update next week. When Google releases an update no one says a word. What is so hard for Verizon to release. Google does all the work here. All they need to do is add in the correct radios.

Amazing you do not even get a peep of when an official update will be coming to Verizon or even Sprint. These companies really destroyed the Nexus line.

I do not understand why people but a Nexus phone on Sprint or Verizon if you are not going to root it. If you want the updates it seems like that is your only option or wait 6 months like every other skinned Android device. At that point, why get a Nexus.

I don't really blame Google.... they once said that GSM is the only way to go for smartphones.
Verizon had a chance to switch its network to the GSM standard back in mid-1996 and decided
against it. :( If Verizon were a smaller company(like T-Mobile's size) it would have died a long
time ago as a CDMA-only carrier.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't really blame Google.... they once said that GSM is the only way to go for smartphones.
Verizon had a chance to switch its network to the GSM standard back in mid-1996 and decided
against it. :( If Verizon were a smaller company(like T-Mobile's size) it would have died a long
time ago as a CDMA-only carrier.

Not releasing a timely update on a Nexus device has nothing to do with what type of Network Verizon chose. If Verizon played nice they can push the update just as fast as they do on a GSM device. By using CDMA it just puts the ball more in Verizon's hands and does not mean it takes longer to push because of the technology.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Let me help you understand...

Google marketed their OS. I liked their OS. I liked it better than the skinned versions on all the other phones. And the Galaxy Nexus (from a hardware perspective) seemed like a very nice device.

I came into this from a BlackBerry and wanted either an iPhone or Android. Plain, vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich appealed to me greatly. I am not a rooter. I am just a user seeking a certain UI experience. This device offered that to me.

The arrogant presumption that the Nexus line is only for the custom ROM loader-upper guys needs to die a quick (and painful) death. If that is how the Nexus devices should be considered, then Google needs to only sell them directly and avoid any and all selling relationship with the carriers. Period.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I will also answer this one....

Ive wanted a pure Nexus since they first came out... but since I have a really old Alltel plan with unlimited data (2 lines) at a super cheap price plus a 17% discount through my job.... It would be dumb to switch carriers to a much worse plan just for a phone thats outdated in a year or less...
So I had to wait for Verizon to get a Nexus and buy theirs....

I could Root/ROM if I wanted to, but after doing it for a few years starting with my old HTC touch then my OG Droid... Ive learned I have a serious Flash O Holic disorder and would not be able to stop once I started, which was fine years ago before owning two houses, and having two kids...
Funny as it sounds, I cant risk getting addicted again... I used to flash windows mobile 6 multiple times a day and have to reload everything manually on the phone... thats how bad it was :)

I know, I need help...

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Not having read the majority of this discussion, I'd be shocked if the Verizon Nexus gets an official JB OTA by the end of the year. I don't know why it seems to take such a long time, but apparently, that's just how it is. It took them how many months to get out even a smaller 4.0.4 update? Can't imagine they'll get 4.1.1 out in 2012.

'Course, I'm already rooted, and running Jellybean, I just don't understand why it takes Verizon such long times for this kind of thing to be pushed out.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
the hope is that since 4.1 should not include radios, it should be much faster...

Thats why 4.04 took so long (we think) because of the radio updates....

xFORTRESSx

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'd rather get the updates right as they come out OTA. I'm not really into custom roms and prefer just the most updated stock ROM. However since Verizon held back a perfectly good update I manually installed it myself. I like having the option to tinker with my device and that plays to why I like the Nexus line.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
DCastillo Now which version of Jelly bean ROM are you running?

None... I'm stock 4.04
My post was actually very serious...
I recently 'had' to root my Xoom to try and fix a battery issue... didn't get to sleep till after 2am because of my addiction... that's how I know I'm not over it yet...
Funny, sad and true....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
the hope is that since 4.1 should not include radios, it should be much faster...

Thats why 4.04 took so long (we think) because of the radio updates....

Supposedly there's placeholders in the source listing new radios. We'll see though.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Its a vicious circle. You call VZW they will tell you Samsung is responsible for releasing the update. You call Samsung and they say Google. You call Google they say VZW.....then the cycle repeats itself. If Apple can release updates to all of its phones at the same time why can't Google? I will buy the next Nexus that comes out, I am not sure of who the carrier will be.

Oh yeah when do I think it will come out for VZW GNex: Late August

rxmorph

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Supposedly there's placeholders in the source listing new radios. We'll see though.

There are? Or is this just a rumor at the moment? I know someone mentioned in another thread about a separate update just for radio fix but I haven't found anything online to suggest either one yet :( Hopefully there will be some news soon..

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
There are? Or is this just a rumor at the moment? I know someone mentioned in another thread about a separate update just for radio fix but I haven't found anything online to suggest either one yet :( Hopefully there will be some news soon..

I highly doubt there will be a separate update for that. If there's an update, it's the search "fix" to maintain compliance with the patent wars injunction.

I can dig into my source a bit later, but I saw a few mentions that there will be "FF##" radios. We won't get them until a full OTA is pushed (or leaked) and then, for us rooters/flashers, until the images are posted so that we can pull the radios manually.

rxmorph

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt there will be a separate update for that. If there's an update, it's the search "fix" to maintain compliance with the patent wars injunction.

I can dig into my source a bit later, but I saw a few mentions that there will be "FF##" radios. We won't get them until a full OTA is pushed (or leaked) and then, for us rooters/flashers, until the images are posted so that we can pull the radios manually.

Ok, I see.. that sounds good. I'm currently not rooted and suffer from the occasional data/voice drops and it would be great if they included a radio fix with the jelly bean OTA..even if that does mean waiting a little longer for it.

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, we are well aware that we can have JB now if we root and flash our phones. Not all of us are technically inclined and don't want to accidentally brick our phones. I'm guessing we'll see it in the first week of November.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It's not technical with a 1 click tool, nor can you really brick a phone these days. It's fine that you don't want to, i just hate hearing those as the excuses. I taught my wife to who is not a techie at all.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millionmiles