Let's guess how long our JB official OTA will take!

doomtuba

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope all you optimistic people are right and we'll get it much faster than the 4.0.4 updates since they won't be fudging with the radios. I'd be estatic if we got it mid-July, or even the first half of August for that matter! :D

mrholzapfel

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't trust Verizon to do anything in a timely fashion. Remember, the Gnex was never a priority for them. It certainly won't be seven months later. They have their precious DROID line to worry over and the iphone5 is just around the corner.

I know not everyone wants to unlock their bootloader and root, but it is extremely simple for the Gnex. Some very good devs have put together software that basically does the process for you.

The are some *very* stable JB roms out there. Been running one for a full week as my daily driver with no issues. And I mean NONE.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
if googles starting to take preorders and states "shipping with jb soon" that means by the time they officially start rolling out the phones, itll already have jb meaning theres no reason that verizon wont have jb available at that point either.

so being very optimistic here....i think well see jb by months end, early aug at the latest.

it doesnt make sense that google will be selling the phone unlocked with jb while verizon twiddles their thumbs.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go with late October. We must remember that we are talking about Verizon here. Nothing is quick, not even dire needed updates. Ie 4.0.4...

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to say 02/2013, if not later.

There's no hurry for Verizon to push Jelly Bean to Galaxy Nexus.

Who is going to buy VZW Galaxy S III if VZW GN can get Jelly Bean right now?

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to say 02/2013, if not later.

There's no hurry for Verizon to push Jelly Bean to Galaxy Nexus.

Who is going to buy VZW Galaxy S III if VZW GN can get Jelly Bean right now?

The SIII doesn't have JB so that doesn't even make sense...

Anyways I'm hoping August, thinking probably September.

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
went to a local vzw store asked about latest info on gnx as wife wants a newer phone, all he said ics, I giggled showed him jb, he liked it. jb by Jake 2.4 smooth

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I say, if the injunction fix wasn't going to be applied to ICS, I'd say we'd be getting an update this month. However with the leak of a minor patch to ICS coming out, we could wait forever. Fortunately, there are some fantastic jelly bean roms out there already. I like Adrenalyn's personally, but there are others with other optimizations/kernels. Been running like a champ with only a few apps i don't use often being broken.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

CongBroChill17

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I find it surprising that so many people are optimistic about this, hopefully you all are right. Doesn't much matter to me though, I'll be hopping on the first CM JB Nightly.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think VZW is going to drag there feet on the update they just released the G3 they wouldn't want to disrupt the sales there

How would it disrupt sales? People with RAZRs wouldn't be eligible to get the S3. It wouldn't even make a difference for new RAZRs, because the s3 would still have a very different feature set and be a newer phone for reps to push.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Corban227

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
For 4.0.4 I just unlocked and installed the image released from google. Do we know when that will be available and does anyone have the link to the site that shows all of Google's released updates for install? I left my phone unlocked and did not download the ota, but did not want to root.

If I am way off base, please correct me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
4.04 is not a Google rlease, its a Verizon release. Google only released iCS Vs 4.01 and 4.02

You are mixed up about how these releases work, let me clarify it for you.

The android version (which in this case is 4.0.4) and build number (IMM76K for verizon) distinguish two different things

The Android Version number (4.0.4) is the version of android you are on. Google/Android are responsible for these releases. Google/Android release the source for these builds. Verizon has no part, whatsoever, with the version of android that google/android create and release the source for.

Now, the Build number (IMM76I or IMM76K etc..) is what distinguishes the different builds of the base source of the version of android (4.0.4) you are running. These differentiate between the phones that the base android version (4.0.4) is running on because android needs to be modified to run on the various different phones/carriers out there. When there is a bug fix release or a hot fix for things pertaining to one specific device (I.E. the apple patent infringement lawsuit), normally the only thing that changes in the update is this build number (as seen as the possible IMM76Q release: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/186960-imm76q-software-update-imminent.html).

When the android version number increases by 4.0.x (ie. 4.0.3 to 4.0.4) this is a general android update. This update addresses bugs and adds modifications to ANY device that was running 4.0.3. The reason that not all phones are updated to a new version at the same time is because each and every different phone needs to be tested before the update is released, because they are all on different builds of android. This is where fragmentation occurs.

***----If you are thinking TLDR by just looking at the size of this post, THIS is the part you will want to read ---- ****

Notice that no where in here did i say Verizon creates any updates. This is because they do not. the Version number, 4.0.4, is modified by Google/android. They are the ones that release these different android versions. The Build numbers, IMM76K, are released by the devices manufacturer, which in the nexus' case just also happens to be google as samsung had no involvement in the software side of development for the nexus. This is also why the Nexus line is praised as being the fastest updated phones. When the manufacturer has completed and compiled a new build for its phone, it sends it off to verizon for Quality testing, at which time verizon approves or rejects the update. Verizon does NOT build their own updates.

djflan

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Google, I am sure has the update ready now......

Verizon will be "testing" it until mid November @ best, given their past history :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12