Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zero neck
  • 1 Post By killroy420
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root/Unlock or wait for 4.1 OTA

I had a droid X before the Gnex, I rooted and added ROMS for it all the time, briefly had a hand-me-down thunderbolt and the same thing

I havent rooted or romd my gnex mainly just because I havent had any problems with it, there wasn't really anything for me to "fix"

now that Jelly bean is out i am really tempted though, only thing is I am happy with the phone as is and REALLY don't want to wipe my phone at all and start personalizing from scratch again...

so basically I am asking, "is it worth it to wipe my phone to get jelly bean" and does anyone know any easy backup restore tricks that would ease my worries about wiping the phone?"

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Default Re: Root/Unlock or wait for 4.1 OTA

This is thee phone to root man

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Go ahead and unlock/root. I was in the same boat as you, no issues with my GN. If you root, you do not have to wait for the Verizon OTA and just use one of the ROMs available that is running JB. Verizon might take their time to push the OTA for JB just like 4.0.4.

What JB ROM would you reccomend to flash?
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

root and roms playa.

the consensus atm is probably jelly belly 3.3, buglesss beast, and/or kejars rom/rootzboat rom.

* INCREDIBLE * MECHA * TORO * GROUPER * GALAXY S3 *
    * [TORO RADIOS] * [NEXUS WALLS] * [GROUPER GUIDE] * [CHATTER] *
    dmmarck likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Either Jelly Belly 3.3 or Bugless Beast. We have a variety of useful resources in our roms subforum, hope to see you there .

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

Root: a haiku

are you human? Root!
    Are you on Android? Then root!
    Don't wait, root root root!

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.
    Erckul likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

alright, thanks for the encouragement, after a weekend of heavy drinking, im gonna take the dive tonight

I just upgraded to gnex and if I'm ever going to root I should do it now before I personalize my phone to much. Nevertheless what is a.good and easy backup software I can use to back up whatever I have right now?
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by vipersarin View Post
    I just upgraded to gnex and if I'm ever going to root I should do it now before I personalize my phone to much. Nevertheless what is a.good and easy backup software I can use to back up whatever I have right now?
    I suggest checking out our rooting forum. There's something called Wug's Toolkit. If you have a Windows computer it is highly recommended.

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Root it, Jelly Bean is a big improvement and you'll grow old and die before Verizon gets around to doing an OTA update. I'm using Vicious-JB-4.1.1-V1, I've had zero problems with it.

Definitely root it. I've only had my Gnex for a couple of weeks and its even better with JB on it. I'm on Vicious JB as well but CM10 version.

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you know a way to have the GOOD app work while rooted let me know and I will root right then and there.