Confirm Bootloader Status

bweseman

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I have had my VZW G-Nex since December. Purchased it at a VZW company store. I have never rooted (or attempted to root) it, nor unlocked (or attempted to unlock) the bootloader. Since the 4.0.4 update (was it back in May?) I now get the little unlocked padlock on my boot screen. Doesn't that mean my bootloader is unlocked? Is there an easy way to determine the status of my bootloader without hooking the phone to a computer that has the SDK setup? I am guessing that my phone came unlocked from the start, and I just didn't realize it? Probably the case huh?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The unlock icon would seem to indicate so. You can also check by booting into the bootloader: power down, hold both volumes and power until you see the bootloader screen. It would say in red letters near the bottom UNLOCKED. just hit power to reboot normally after seeing that screen.

It's odd but wouldn't be the first case I've heard of someone getting one unlocked from the store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

llocknload

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
With your phone powered off, hold Vol up + Vol down + power button until you get into fastboot. Once in there you should be able to read some lines on the bottom left of your screen. One of them will read "lock state - locked" or "lock state - unlocked". To me that's the easiest way to tell.

I agree that is weird that you have the unlock logo on your google splash screen because I didn't notice that showing up on mine until I had unlocked/rooted it.

EDIT: 2defmouze beat me to it.

bweseman

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone! Did the vol up/dwn pwr sequence. Found the prone android with his torsoe exposed. Bottom text in red says "LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED". I seriously do not remember the unlocked icon showing up on the boot screen from the time I purchased the phone until OTA 4.0.4. Is it possible for an OTA to unlock it? I thought when unlocking the bootloader, everything on phone was erased. That leads me to believe I have had an unlocked version from the start. I guess it is time to root now.

lebeauc

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You are correct, when you unlock your phone, it erases everything (including SD storage) so you have probably had an unlocked bootloader since you got the phone and just never noticed.