Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Anyone else fine Google Now cards not all that useful?

I generally don't find it all that useful. It will give me the current weather. I put in my home and work addresses so it will give me times to those. Never really pops up any other local cards. I was out in San Francisco and Napa last week. In Napa it kept wanting to tell me the distance to the UPS store. I suppose so I could ship wine maybe? Don't know. Also kept giving time to the restaurant next to our hotel that we never went to. I googled our flights a bunch of times but they never came up as cards. Not much useful in SF either. Didn't really give any handy public transportation routes or local restaurants like I'd hoped. Always offered me my home timezone.

It was useful if I wanted to ask it a question for it to search for something like our flights, but almost nothing "came up just as I needed it" as they say. Am I missing something?

Default Re: Anyone else fine Google Now cards not all that useful?

I haven't really used the cards too much, except for this past weekend. I was previously on my PC looking up directions to a party we were heading too, and then when we left, I opened Google Now and it already had the traffic to the party and gave me the option to navigate there, which I thought was pretty cool.

Other then that, the only cared I get are traffic to work and home, current weather and the red sox score (since I googled it once).

This weekend, I was out and about, taking public transportation all over the city. I found the cards useful in terms of letting me know how long it'd take to get from one destination to the next.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do you have to be signed in on the google browser on the phone for it to pick stuff up?

I don't know. I also often get lots of cards for various places when I'm in different neighborhoods, even if I haven't searched for any.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    I generally don't find it all that useful. It will give me the current weather. I put in my home and work addresses so it will give me times to those. Never really pops up any other local cards. I was out in San Francisco and Napa last week. In Napa it kept wanting to tell me the distance to the UPS store. I suppose so I could ship wine maybe? Don't know. Also kept giving time to the restaurant next to our hotel that we never went to. I googled our flights a bunch of times but they never came up as cards. Not much useful in SF either. Didn't really give any handy public transportation routes or local restaurants like I'd hoped. Always offered me my home timezone.

It was useful if I wanted to ask it a question for it to search for something like our flights, but almost nothing "came up just as I needed it" as they say. Am I missing something?
    The more it gets used (and the more you use Google services) the more it 'learns' and will produce cards relevant to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm also a little disheartened by G-Now's usefulness. I've searched for the score of the Cleveland Indians games, their schedule and all sorts of stuff just to get a card to come up and it never does. It gives me the card for the time to get home as soon as I get to work, but when I'm ready to leave work, the card for home is hidden. I've had it for about 2 weeks and I keep using it, hoping it will learn me and my life like a good android servant should.

Also, I miss the arrow for the auto-complete in the search bar.

-capn

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by capnfatpants View Post
    I'm also a little disheartened by G-Now's usefulness. I've searched for the score of the Cleveland Indians games, their schedule and all sorts of stuff just to get a card to come up and it never does. It gives me the card for the time to get home as soon as I get to work, but when I'm ready to leave work, the card for home is hidden. I've had it for about 2 weeks and I keep using it, hoping it will learn me and my life like a good android servant should.

Also, I miss the arrow for the auto-complete in the search bar.

-capn
    You have to enable web history... On your computer go to your google account settings, last option "Go to web history", make sure it isn't Paused on top.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Is there any way to program it? To enter information in so that you have some control?

I disabled after I realized how bad it was draining my battery. Maps continuously wakes the device when Google Now is enabled. I saw a huge difference after I disabled it.

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    I generally don't find it all that useful. It will give me the current weather. I put in my home and work addresses so it will give me times to those.
    How do you put in home and word address manually?

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yochino View Post
    How do you put in home and word address manually?
    You have to set it up in lattitude
    Thanked by 2:

I searched for a Pirates score once and it now gives me cards for upcoming games, in game scores and post game recaps and score.

I was meeting with someone for lunch today, so Google Now gave me a notification and card telling me what time I had to leave by in order to get there on time. The card also provided directions and a link for navigation. Pretty awesome.
    2defmouze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I was meeting with someone for lunch today, so Google Now gave me a notification and card telling me what time I had to leave by in order to get there on time. The card also provided directions and a link for navigation. Pretty awesome.
    You had the appointment on your calendar right? If so that's pretty sweet.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Word that's sweet!

I'm happy with it showing me the weather, time/directions home, yankee scores during and after a game and preview before it, and next few subway times whenever I'm near a track. Everything else is a bonus and that says a lot, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    You had the appointment on your calendar right? If so that's pretty sweet.

Yes. I had the appointment in my calendar, and I had added the location (name and address) of the lunch spot in the "Where" line in the appointment.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    1,040 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jafels View Post
    I searched for a Pirates score once and it now gives me cards for upcoming games, in game scores and post game recaps and score.
    Did you search for it via GN on your phone or Google on your computer?

I asked Google now what the score to the Pirates game was....she told me the score and the inning....after that I get previews of every game and scores during with a recap after.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

I love it. It gives me the Red Sox updates and next game. Reminds of appointments and shows the route and traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I just assumed my web history was already turned on because I signed my life away to google a long time ago. Let's see if it gives me tonight's score automagically.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jet300 View Post
    You have to set it up in lattitude
    Where? I've gone through the settings, and can't find a place to set Home and Work addresses.

I believe it has to be done through the web, not through latitude in the maps app.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
    I believe it has to be done through the web, not through latitude in the maps app.
    This is frustrating. I should be able to just speak this. I can't find it.

Update: Apparently it needs to gather enough information to automatically detect where home and work is. I need to let it gather more info, then I can change the address to a more accurate address.
    Last edited by jharo; 07-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.

It's been very useful for me. I have had notifications pop up that tell me that I need to leave so that I can make it to my appointment on time and lets me know the traffic conditions on the way to my appointment. Also I had it pop up just last week before I headed home and told me not to take my normal way home and use a different route. It had the map of my city and showed the normal route was all red. My co-worker left the same time as me and went the route I normall go. It took me 55 minutes to get home and took her 2 hours and 40 minutes to get home due to a major traffic accident.

Also I didn't have to sign up for it in lattitude or anything like that. I just opted in and it seems to know where my house/work is. Also it always pops up the traffic card 30 minutes to an hour before I usually leave work.

Totally useful for me!
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast