PLEASE HELP: VZW SGN 3G/4G LTE radio problems

mgurmgur

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I live in Northern NJ and commute every day to NYC on the bus with my wife. She has a new VZW SIII (stock), and I have VZW SGN (stock). We are both on version 4.04 now.

When we are on the bus, I frequently experience " reception dead zones", i.e. a zone where I don't receive any 3G/4G signal. She, sitting a few inches away from me, experiences slowdown in speed, but her internet connection never fully disappears.

Here are my questions:
1. Does that make sense that SGN radios could be "worse" than those of SIII? Or do I simply have a defective device? I am still covered by the Verizon's one year warranty, however the prospect of re-installing 150+ apps (I have two young kids) doesn't exactly entice me.

2. Do you think the upcoming JB update would help in that regard?

Thank you all in advance,
Mark

P.S. I did try out different ROMs in the past and I found that they each have their own pros and cons - given my schedule don't really have time to play with them - would prefer to use keep the stock version.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back and forth between NY and NJ a couple of times and I never had a big issue with reception (this was on the Interstate, mind you).

Haven't had problems on 18 either. Maybe it's your phone.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: mgurmgur
Mar 16, 2010
www.mattronic.net
My galaxy nexus had signal problems much more severe than that. It was cycling from no service to 3g to 4g never maintaining connectivity. If I switched to CDMA only mode, it would at least keep a connection for phone calls but data was very fragile. I called Verizon technical support to tell them what was going on. The Tier 2 tech said he has similar issues with his nexus and pretty much immediately offered a replacement. He said he was reviewing their documentation on the phone and the VZW community forums and seeing how many people reporting similar issues. It'll be here later this week.

If you think you have a defective device I'd say it's always worth calling Verizon and seeing what they'll do for you. He offered me a GS III which I would have taken but they didn't have any warranty replacements yet. We'll see how this replacement unit does .. perhaps I'll get luckier next time :)

Good luck with your issue -- like I said, I would call Verizon and let them know what the situation is.

Edit: I forgot to mention I don't have any insurance on my line -- the rep did a warranty swap so it'll be refurb.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgurmgur

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae