Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Long story made short, I have been though six replacement galaxy nexus's since january of last year. All of which have been like new replacements, except for my first one I bought new at verizon. The main problem is that all the nexus's can't hold a signal, weather its 4G or 3G (Happens less on 3G though). For instance, I will be in 4G surfing the web, and all of a sudden, I will lose ALL connection, 4G, 3G, and voice. This happen very often, like six to ten times in a hour (Tested it once). Also, when I turn off the screen, and let it sit for a little while, and then turn it back on, I will lose all signal in less then ten seconds. This has happened to almost all of the phones except for my first phone I bought at the store. Also, I have rooted and unlocked the phone, loaded Jelly bean on it, and I still have the problem. So, with all that said, is this a common problem with the nexus? Or have I just got six bad "Like new replacements." So, any thoughts on how to fix the problem? Or should I lockup the phone and try for number seven? Thanks for any help guys!
    Last edited by Ridgerunner20; 07-18-2012 at 01:59 PM.
  2. #2  
    spltngheadache's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    From what I've read online, what I've experienced myself with the VZW gnex, and my talks with VZW tech support -- nexus signal problems are a prevalent issue. I don't think you're going to be able to fix it yourself. People like to talk about flashing different radios but I am of the opinion that if the 4.0.4 official radios don't fix the issue then you should replace it. My last gnex cycled No Service -> 3G -> 4G -> repeat every couple of seconds to every few minutes. I called for a replacement.

    It sucks but I'd bet on hardware defect... sorry I'm not more helpful/upbeat about it, but my 2 units have had some variation of this and this must be the 20th thread I've read about XXX replacements and how they're all bad.

    Good luck...
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    I'm currently dealing with the exact issue. Verizon support acts as if I'm the only nexus owner with this problem. Here is my theory after several replacements: There have been 2 hardware revisions that I know of, original being 11.11, then rev 11.12, and now, 12.01. There has been 2 ota software updates that included lte and cdma radio software. I suspect the radio software released with 4.0.4 (especially the lte) is not fully compatible with the new hardware specification of the newer hardware revision, which came out after the ota. Verizon needs to update the radio software to meet latest hardware specification.
    I've not seen one with radio version starting with I515.09 (previous hardware revision) experience this. It appears to be isolated to I515.10 (newer hardware revisions)

    How's your mind? Blown?
    Last edited by whitewallman; 07-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Thanks spltngheadache for the help. Does the Gnex you have right now work right? Any other thoughts guys?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Whitewallman, I totally feel your pain. I have also call Verizon's tactical support (multiple times) and they act like I'm the only one on this plant that has this problem. I think they're trying to make me think I don't know what I'm talking about , but I know better now, there's two of us now :P

    Anyone else having this issue?
  6. #6  

    Default

    What's your h/w revision?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner20 View Post
    Whitewallman, I totally feel your pain. I have also call Verizon's tactical support (multiple times) and they act like I'm the only one on this plant that has this problem. I think they're trying to make me think I don't know what I'm talking about , but I know better now, there's two of us now :P

    Anyone else having this issue?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Looks like I have 11.12.
  8. #8  
    spltngheadache's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner20 View Post
    Thanks spltngheadache for the help. Does the Gnex you have right now work right? Any other thoughts guys?
    Mine is on a truck right now on its way .. I won't receive it until Friday. I'll let you know when I receive it what its details are and my success with it.

    I may have gotten lucky .. the tech rep I spoke to had a Galaxy Nexus personally and has experienced the issue so he was very willing to help. If one rep isn't helpful maybe try calling back and see if you get someone else? Again good luck
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Another problem my phone is having is insanely bad battery life. For instance, I can go to bed with a full charge (Btw extended battery 2100mah) and by the time I wake up, it's completely dead.
  10. #10  

    Default

    So your baseband version in settings/about phone start with I515.10?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner20 View Post
    Looks like I have 11.12.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Yep, that's right. So, what does that mean? Do I have a good hardware combination?
  12. #12  

    Default

    Bad battery life can be attributed to radios losing and having to acquire signal constantly. Check settings/battery. Look for cell standby and tap it. "Time without signal" percentage unusually high?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner20 View Post
    Another problem my phone is having is insanely bad battery life. For instance, I can go to bed with a full charge (Btw extended battery 2100mah) and by the time I wake up, it's completely dead.
  13. #13  

    Default

    If my theory is correct, hardware is newer than radio software. If they send you baseband starting with I515.09, guard it with your life. I predict it will work great! And why not? The radio software was built for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner20 View Post
    Yep, that's right. So, what does that mean?
    Last edited by whitewallman; 07-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Yes, sometimes it can be as high as fifteen to twenty percent. Also, the phone is "awake" 2/3 of the time when the screen is off.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Just got one today. It goes from full signal to no signal back to full signal every couple of minutes. I can't even complete a call.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner20 View Post
    Yes, sometimes it can be as high as fifteen to twenty percent. Also, the phone is "awake" 2/3 of the time when the screen is off.
    mine is at 31%
  17. #17  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,536 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    Broken record plenty of threads. Vzw keeps offering a maxx I say no. I don't bother calling any more. I've realized nex phone sucks.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    So, Moosc, I take it you don't get good signal with your nexus?

    Also, what do you guys think, should I just try to "live with it" and just accept the fact that the nexus just "sucks" at being a phone? Or should I get another like new replacement? or maybe I should just give up and get a different phone.

    This is starting to get very old, sad, and frustrating
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Just got done with talking to Verizon for the third time this week about this issue...

    Verizon has said that this is a known issue and they officially as of July 16th are working on a new software release to fix this issue and will not replace my device. This being a Network issue they will be doing this as quickly as possible...

    I am hoping that this will fix my issues... Just hope that it will come out soon...
    Thanked by:
    trailblazen likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Well, that's some good news. hopefully, they wont take forever to get it pushed out.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender0715 View Post
    Just got done with talking to Verizon for the third time this week about this issue...

    Verizon has said that this is a known issue and they officially as of July 16th are working on a new software release to fix this issue and will not replace my device. This being a Network issue they will be doing this as quickly as possible...

    I am hoping that this will fix my issues... Just hope that it will come out soon...
    Really? That is very good news if that's correct.. wish there was a link of Verizon stating that officially somewhere .. not that I don't believe what you are saying.. it just seems too good to be true and would like to see it in black and white from them..
    Ridgerunner20 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender0715 View Post
    Just got done with talking to Verizon for the third time this week about this issue...

    Verizon has said that this is a known issue and they officially as of July 16th are working on a new software release to fix this issue and will not replace my device. This being a Network issue they will be doing this as quickly as possible...

    I am hoping that this will fix my issues... Just hope that it will come out soon...
    Baseband I515.10 here with my brand new nexus I got monday. I notice signal flux but its bearable and performs better than the 2 bionics I went through. It beats the phone I just came off of but hopefully this is true about a new software release to catch up with the hardware revisions. It makes sense that there would be issue when they upgrade hardware but neglect to catch the software up. Just going to sit here and enjoy my new phone while I wait for the OTA fix.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!
  23. #23  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewallman View Post
    I'm currently dealing with the exact issue. Verizon support acts as if I'm the only nexus owner with this problem. Here is my theory after several replacements: There have been 2 hardware revisions that I know of, original being 11.11, then rev 11.12, and now, 12.01. There has been 2 ota software updates that included lte and cdma radio software. I suspect the radio software released with 4.0.4 (especially the lte) is not fully compatible with the new hardware specification of the newer hardware revision, which came out after the ota. Verizon needs to update the radio software to meet latest hardware specification.
    I've not seen one with radio version starting with I515.09 (previous hardware revision) experience this. It appears to be isolated to I515.10 (newer hardware revisions)

    How's your mind? Blown?
    Verizon tried to tell me that I was the only one having a signal issue. Mine also was having the same problem on WiFi. One of the replacement phones was actually worse than my original...I sent that one back asap! I also have the I515.10 model.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  24. #24  
    ItnStln511's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,984 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ender0715 View Post
    Just got done with talking to Verizon for the third time this week about this issue...

    Verizon has said that this is a known issue and they officially as of July 16th are working on a new software release to fix this issue and will not replace my device. This being a Network issue they will be doing this as quickly as possible...

    I am hoping that this will fix my issues... Just hope that it will come out soon...
    How can they not replace your device? That's crazy!

    Is this issue limited to the Verizon Nexus? I'm just wondering, because I've not heard of an issue with the GSM Nexus.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Signal problems with the galaxy nexus :(

    I'm seriously considering about sending this phone back to verizon. How would I go about locking back up the boot loader, and unrooting the phone? Thanks for any help guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions