I need help... *Battery Issues / Awake CPU*

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
OK. I have done a lot of searches on the subject and no real correction.

I have had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and I have been in a non-stop battle with battery life.

For the first few days I thought the battery was just cycling or whatever (new battery), I was getting about 7 hours. After this continued I started to investigate. I noticed that "Android OS" was eating most of the battery. I would have 42 mins of screen time and the phone would be "awake" for about 4 hours. This doesn't make any sense to me. Something is waking up the phone without the screen being on. I know smartphones will do some background stuff here and there... but 4 hours of CPU time is excessive.

Here is the kicker. My wife and I got the phones the same day, she has way more apps, leaves all the services on and gets her phone to last all day (10 hours). Her battery stats look normal to me. Screen eating up the most, some apps here and there, Android OS only eating around 6%. Awake time also matches screen time for the most part on her phone.

I have tried disabling services for location. I use Wifi full time at my house. I have forced close the "phone" app and "maps" which made some difference but I do not think I should have to force apps to close.

I am at my wits end with this. Any insight would be helpful.

Attached are some pictures of my battery stats and a list of installed apps/widgets.

Screenshot_2012-07-18-18-20-11.png

Screenshot_2012-07-18-18-20-21.png

Screenshot_2012-07-18-18-20-28.png

Screenshot_2012-07-18-18-20-38.png

Screenshot_2012-07-18-18-20-45.png

Screenshot_2012-07-18-18-21-02.png

Adobe Reader
AIM
Backgrounds
Barcode Scanner
Beautiful Widgets
Browser
Calculator
Calendar
Camera
Clock
Compass
Disney World Times
Downloads
Drive
Dropbox
Earth
EMail
Facebook
File Manager
Flash Player Settings
Gallery
GMail
Google Sky Maps
Google+
GPS Test
GSam Battery Monitor Pro
IMDB
Latitude
Local
Maps
Messaging
Messenger
Movie Studio
My Verizon Mobile
Navigation
Netflix
News & Weather
Pandora
People
Phone
Play Books
Play Movies & TV
Play Music
Play Store
Search
Settings
Simple Calendar
Soundhound
Speed Test
Sportacular
Swiftkey 3
Talk
TeslaLED
Translate
Voice
Voice Dialer
VZ Backup Assistant
Weatherbug
Youtube

Also be advised that all these apps (other than Nexus pre installed) were on my old Droid X and never caused these issues.

Widgets on my home screen are Beautiful Widgets and Simple Calendar.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yikes, how often do those sync? Maps doesn't drain my battery that much.

I don't know what you mean by syncing. Maps will constantly update my location for services if the GPS is left on. This was never an issue on my Droid X. I never turned it off. My wifes GNex is always on and her maps never uses any power.

What are you using to get all that detail? I don't see that level of detail under battery info or my running apps info.

Steve

There is an app called GSam Battery Pro.

jhtheking

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what you mean by syncing. Maps will constantly update my location for services if the GPS is left on. This was never an issue on my Droid X. I never turned it off. My wifes GNex is always on and her maps never uses any power.

I think he means "Accounts & Sync" under the "Personal" section in Settings. I usually have that turned off to save battery. Not sure if that helps.

jhtheking

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I just downloaded the same app you have and have some similar data:

Unplugged for 4hours 36mins
24.4% of battery consumed by Apps
However, your Maps and Facebook apps wake up your device about twice as much as mine.

However, the biggest difference I notice is that 95.8% of your battery power is used by your screen while mine is at 60.1%.

Are you on your phone constantly for a long period of time?

How long after you stop using your phone will it automatically sleep? (Settings > Display > Sleep)

What brightness do you keep your phone at? (Settings > Display > Brightness) I usually keep mine very low to save power.

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
OP, are you using Wifi at all? Maybe your wife is getting better reception than you during the day, thus less battery drain.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I just downloaded the same app you have and have some similar data:

Unplugged for 4hours 36mins
24.4% of battery consumed by Apps
However, your Maps and Facebook apps wake up your device about twice as much as mine.

However, the biggest difference I notice is that 95.8% of your battery power is used by your screen while mine is at 60.1%.

Which is weird. My screen time averages about an hour honestly.

Are you on your phone constantly for a long period of time?

Not at all. I am on it once in a while to text, check facebook, voice calls.... nothing abnormal. Nothing different than my Droid X and way less than my wife.

How long after you stop using your phone will it automatically sleep? (Settings > Display > Sleep)

It is set at 30 seconds. I usually manually kill the screen off with the side button.

What brightness do you keep your phone at? (Settings > Display > Brightness) I usually keep mine very low to save power.

I manually adjust my brightness with the power control widget. 100% when I am outside and minimum when I am inside. I had auto-brightness on for a while but I was told the sensor that samples the ambient light sucks as much battery as it saves adjusting the screen... if not more.

OP, are you using Wifi at all? Maybe your wife is getting better reception than you during the day, thus less battery drain.

I use Wifi when at home. I only spent 7% of the time without signal. I have been keeping it on 4G. I live/work in a decent 4G area. Some areas of my job take me outside all signal areas for a bit. Today wasn't bad.

Attached are some new screen shots of todays battery usage. Not as bad as it has been. I still have under one hour of screen time and the phone is still awake a lot longer than the screen.

Screenshot_2012-07-20-18-21-11.png

Screenshot_2012-07-20-18-21-21.png

Screenshot_2012-07-20-18-21-35.png

Screenshot_2012-07-20-18-21-42.png

Screenshot_2012-07-20-18-21-47.png

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
See.... Wakelock or whatever had the phone CPU on for 24 minutes for some reason.

Google Maps woke my phone up 788 times. WTF?

I have GPS off most of the time and I didn't open that app at all today. What does it need to do 788 times? That means it is doing something more than once a minute during this charge. Sucks.

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Maps is definitely the reason your battery is draining so fast. I checked my settings (have the same program installed) and my maps usage isnt nearly as bad as yours is. Maybe is you turned off GPS for a bit to see if that makes a difference? I also noticed that sometimes apps go haywire - Norton Utilities sometimes starts consuming massive amounts of battery, and what fixes it is a simple reboot- try turning off GPS and rebooting your phone-it could be that maps has just gone haywire a bit.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I have tried a few different things. I even broke down and unlocked/rooted it last night.

I didn't get around to installing JB because I am having a hard time finding a stock version or whatever.

I am kinda ignorant to the whole thing. Ideas for a stock JB OS and a stock kernel?