Radio problem fixes anyone?

DanielGalvez

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I just received my nexus in the mail a week ago and yes I do have to dreaded signal problems. My phone goes from having 4g to no signal.. I wait 20 seconds and I have signal again. I was wondering if rooting and installing a custom rom with radios ( such as jelly bean) would fix this issue? Or is it much more than that? From what I've picked up its a software issue, not a hardware issue. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I just received my nexus in the mail a week ago and yes I do have to dreaded signal problems. My phone goes from having 4g to no signal.. I wait 20 seconds and I have signal again. I was wondering if rooting and installing a custom rom with radios ( such as jelly bean) would fix this issue? Or is it much more than that? From what I've picked up its a software issue, not a hardware issue. Any ideas?

If you're on 4.0.4, then you're on the latest radios. Source (Jelly Bean 4.1.1) does not include radios and won't until the Verizon OTA is released (they're supposedly FF##).

That being said, there are 2 pieces of software that can affect signal--the kernel and the baseband/radios. Since the latter is an option, you might have positive feedback from a new kernel.

But that being said, what you described seems really abnormal and may simply be attributed to your device being a lemon.

Ender0715

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Talked to VZ today and they told me they will not replace phones for this issue anymore. This is a known issue and an update is in works... due to it being a network connectivity issue it is a high priority and will be released soon...

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Verizon was updating and adding more cities to 4G, maybe you were in one of the areas they wee working on. I just stay in 3G more all the time, unles I need 4G for some reason.

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Talked to VZ today and they told me they will not replace phones for this issue anymore. This is a known issue and an update is in works... due to it being a network connectivity issue it is a high priority and will be released soon...

Whoa. I know supposedly all 4G phone have this issue, but that'll be a bummer if they stop replacing phones. That will be nice if they do indeed have fix in the works.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been on IMM30B with the new radios since Feb. I have IMM76K now with no issues at first. I am having hand off problems for the last month. So I'm sure it's the network.

I'll be on 4G the signal bars will X out and go gray 5 to 15 seconds then grey 3G will come up for 10 15 secs more before going blue. Then sneak back to 4G somewhere in the next 5 10 mins. It feels like I've been shot back to December. :confused:

mkurz12

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Replacement device fixed my signal issues.

I had the signal issue on my first Gnex. Tried multiple different roms and kernels with no luck in fixing the signal issue.
For me the problem was almost no 4G anywhere in the NYC / NJ area even if people around me had 3 or 4 bars. Also switching between any signals at all, wifi to 3G to 1X to 4G would cause the bars to grey out and couldn't get them back until I rebooted.

I expected getting a replacement was going to be a hassle because I used a friends upgrade (The Verizon Buddy Upgrade) to get the Gnex but turned out to go very smoothly...on the second phone call anyway. First CSR said there wasn't much I could do aside from set up another line and get a new phone that way. Anyway I was able to get it done with a 3 way phone call and now that I have the device working properly I am FINALLY happy with it!

anon(114107)

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
My release-day Verizon Galaxy Nexus has the same signal loss issue (regardless of location, from midtown NYC to NE NJ). ROM & baseband updates have not helped (had issue on 4.0.2 - 4.0.4, 4.1.1, baseband FC05 now). I'm guessing it's a hardware issue, but would rather not swap mine for a refurb...

Baseband version:
I515.09 V.FC04 / I515.FC05

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I've had my GNEX since March. I have the exact same issue. 3 bars of 4G and then "empty" triangle for 20 secs and then signal again. I've tried different ROM's/kernels and I'm on the latest radios. Nothing has worked. I've also contacted VZW on their forums and I was "edited" for all the things that I tried to remedy the situation "rooting/flashing." Apparently it's frowned upon. I've talked with the good people on this forum (dmmarck) and others and I've come to the conclusion that while this phone might be a lemon it's not lemony enough for me to try and get a refurb and risk getting a phone with a too blue screen or some other hiccup. I mostly just leave it in 3G.

Also I'm in CLT,NC and since the DNC is coming they've beefed up our 4G for all the extra tweets that are going to be happening so our coverage isn't the issue.

bkob024

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

I too used to have this issue. I bought my nexus last month and had great reception but it would drop service all the time. I tried custom rooms, stock rooms, different radios nothing helped it really. I even flashed a from incorrectly on purpose so.it was stuck on the boot screen and took it in and got it replaced, same deal. I eventually got mad that I broke my phone and sent it into Samsung. Got it back day before yesterday and all is well. A few key things I noticed; the phone was a return from Korea and the phone came with 5.0.2 on it. I know from all the troubleshooting I did that the 4.0.4 updated radios have better reception but horrible hand offs between modes (3g to 4g and the reverse but also when your date reception would cut out the transition would cause a complete signal loss). Shortly after activating the phone it promoted me to update to 4.0.4 but I wouldn't dare. Instead I rooted and flashed Cyanogenmod 10 to it. Loving my nexus now. All I can say is if your having the radio drop issue there isn't an easy fix. I couldn't find one and I'm pretty savvy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37