Solved 4G Signal prob w/booster

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I live in the country where I'm able to pick up one bar of 4G at 109dB, which constantly drops for 3G instead. This drives me crazy, sometimes it even takes half an hour to initiate a 4G signal, and my phone has to sit in a specific spot for a long time just to pick it up. Cable or DSL isn't an option here. Anyways, I did some digging around and purchased the Wilson 4G-V signal booster for 4G LTE phones. The first one I received was defective, not going to lie that I was pretty disappointed when I first plugged it in and nothing happened. Well, I received the replacement today, and this thing is amazing.

It instantly boosted my 4G signal from the usual one bar, 105-117 dB signal to a steady 90dB signal with three bars. My download speed went from 4000kbps to 17000kbps, and upload went from 6-900kbps to 1500kbps. I seriously love this thing, I can now play games online without lag or spikes. I mounted the antenna to my window, turned the cradle on, set my phone in it, and everything was good to go. Something at least worth checking out if you've tried everything else with no luck.

Reactions: ConTejas

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried any of the standalone booster units that Wilson Electronics makes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I am testing and LTE booster from Wilson and I have to say that it is awesome. I'll post my full review when it's ready, but you should really look into their products if you have signal issues. I am on my tablet now but I did a review of the sleek 4G-V months before it came out and it's incredible too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
That's good to know, I just moved to a cellular hole, where really no carriers seem to work. Yet, my Xoom gets LTE... go figure. I have one of the network extenders, but really would rather get one of Wilson's 700mhz setups with the amp and repeating antenna and mount the directional antenna in the attic pointed toward the tower. However with the $400 - $500 price tag, didn't want to spend the money if it was a fad.

-Mike

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
How effective are those directional antennas? I received an inquiry from the antenna store I purchased this booster from, asking if I'd be willing to try out a "yagi directional antenna". Apparently, they have some manufacturing samples, and I could test one out. I've been debating it since the booster solved my problem. Unless of course, these directional antennas are the cats pajamas. Any word on the performance/gains?

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
How effective are those directional antennas? I received an inquiry from the antenna store I purchased this booster from, asking if I'd be willing to try out a "yagi directional antenna". Apparently, they have some manufacturing samples, and I could test one out. I've been debating it since the booster solved my problem. Unless of course, these directional antennas are the cats pajamas. Any word on the performance/gains?

*Usually* a yagi antenna will get you a bit more gain than an omni. However the key is you need to know where the tower is. Most TV antennas you see on roofs are yagis for that reason, you want gain in the direction you want (i.e. a fixed transmission tower), and rejection for the areas you don't want (the sides and back of the antenna). If it's a fixed station (you are docking your cell phone), pointing to a fixed tower you can aim at with reasonable certainty, then yagi is the way to go. Since cell phones typically are more mobile, with towers all over, it's not overly practical to have something directional :)

I was looking at Wilson's 700mhz LTE system where they have a fairly focused yagi antenna for pointing at the tower, and a second antenna for in the house, that's directional, however from what I understand a much wider of a pattern.

Hope that helps?

-Mike

Reactions: nightshaded

ejfiii

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
i run a high end home integration company and the Wilson cell repeater systems are our goto units when we need to boost cell signals for our clients.

Use an omni antenna in a dense urban area even if you think you are far from the towers- there are always repeaters on buildings and the directional antennas can't deal with all the repeaters and bounced signals in urban areas. In rural areas, put the yagi on the roof and point it towards the tower up to 70 or 80 miles away and you will be shocked at the reception inside the house.

Reactions: nightshaded

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
*Usually* a yagi antenna will get you a bit more gain than an omni. However the key is you need to know where the tower is. Most TV antennas you see on roofs are yagis for that reason, you want gain in the direction you want (i.e. a fixed transmission tower), and rejection for the areas you don't want (the sides and back of the antenna). If it's a fixed station (you are docking your cell phone), pointing to a fixed tower you can aim at with reasonable certainty, then yagi is the way to go. Since cell phones typically are more mobile, with towers all over, it's not overly practical to have something directional :)

I was looking at Wilson's 700mhz LTE system where they have a fairly focused yagi antenna for pointing at the tower, and a second antenna for in the house, that's directional, however from what I understand a much wider of a pattern.

Hope that helps?

-Mike

It does, thank-you for explaining that! I'm still a rookie when it comes to antennas. The yagi is arriving tomorrow, I'll hook it up and post results soon. If anyone gets an antenna, your results would be greatly appreciated.

nightshaded

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Solved 4G Signal prob w/booster (UPDATE)

***UPDATE 7/30/2012***

Installed the new Yagi antenna!!! I now have 100% full bars of 4G at -75dB!!! This is unreal, I don't even get this when I'm in the city, let alone the backwoods. Download speeds average at 20,000 kbps, and upload 11,000 kbps. I am one very satisfied customer. Also, notice how smooth the speedtest lines are? Before they were a volatile roller coaster. Needless to say, I highly recommend the booster/antenna combo.

Reactions: beerhound

Berean4Him

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Solved 4G Signal prob w/booster (UPDATE)

Hello, I am impressed with your Yagi set-up. Would this work with an iPad 4th Gen? Does the iPad have to have an external antenna port? That was how I found this site by searching "iPad Signal Booster". NEED help, just spent a fortune, have health issues, and limited income. I was told before an after I was in the AT&T 4G LTE zone using my exact street address. After weeks of working with Tech Support I was finally told I am actually not in the 4G LTE zone. I do get occasionally 1-2 bars of 4G, no 3G, and "E" which I'm told is the slowest! After all this time with Tech Support I am past the return policy as I bought it from Sams Club because I wanted the external warranty. ANY help greatly appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21