Good Samsung / Bad Samsung

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I talked my wife into getting a SGS3 because she wanted to upgrade from her Droid Incredible 2. Simply put she is starting to really like the phone. Anyway, while playing with it and comparing it to my GNex, I notice how, for a newly launched device, everything just works....and it works well. When the GNex launched at the latter part of last year, it was obvious that it had several isssues (battery, accelerometer, signal, lag, data drops, ect...). How can Samsung put out such a bug-ridden device with the GNex launch, but just months later launch a very capable device in the SGS3 - both flagship devices literally just months apart? The hardware specs are not light years apart, actually, they are somewhat similar with the exception of more onboard RAM in the SGS3. Was it that hard to get the GNex right the first time?

Last edited:

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
i dont know....but i never really had any issues with the GNEX.
as for the S3 and its lack of issues....my explination....TIME.
the GNEX was the first phone to run ICS.....apps were not updated which caused battery issues and maybe some other issues.
fast forward 8 months and apps have been updated to better work with ICS.
not to mention, Samsung has had 8 months to perfect this phone with a software they know really well.
as for batter life.....S3 has a bigger battery and more advanced hardware which would and could increase battery life.

but like i said, i got my device 2 months into the release and i didn't have any issues with it....but that is just me and my own personal experience.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Think of the S3 as the GNex update. They learned what they did wrong and corrected it.

Isn't that what you would have expected?

I'm not sure why you started this thread.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
received my Galaxy Nexus(VZW CDMA) two days after launch day.
had zero issues with it as of today. if I had to nitpick, I still think it's
one of the ugliest phones out there.... however, I love the phone
very much because it had ICS and an awesome screen. (function
over form for me, same way I pick girlfriend/wife... brains over
beauty? :D)

I like the phone so much, in fact, that I bought a second one
(GSM unlocked from Europe) and use it with a prepaid anonymous
prepaid SIM card.

The SIII definitely is a pretty phone, with improved hardware.
(but not enough for me to ditch the GNex yet... perhaps SIIII?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Ugly? Seriously? There's no hard buttons and no manufacturer or carrier logo on the front. I don't get it. :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kalexan9

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

prepaid SIM card.

I travel abroad twice each year for a month to Asia and Europe. I would like to get my hands on the GSM version of the GNex. I heard they are more reliable than the CDMA counterparts.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Ugly? Seriously? There's no hard buttons and no manufacturer or carrier logo on the front. I don't get it. :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Yeah, my phone has ty battery life and I've had problems.. but I think it's one of, if not the best designed phones.. The lack of hard button really grew on me.. so sleak without anything on the front. The Razor is super thin, but I don't think it looks as nice as the nexus.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

prepaid SIM card.

I'm with you. Mine has been perfect. So perfect that my wife got one. Then my middle daughter got one. And then my youngest daughter got one. They all work fine.

I think there may be two reasons for the complaints here...

1. People tend to come to forums more often and post when they're unhappy. This skews the posts heavily in the complaint column.

2. Apps. I did have some connectivity issues in December. I had a lot of apps on the phone, over 200. I was on vacation after Christmas and had tome on my hands so I bit the bullet and did a factory reset. The connectivity problem disappeared. I became VERY careful about which apps I installed. I haven't had any connectivity problems since. It's entirely possible, I surmised through my unscientific experiment, that there may be some apps that aren't ICS friendly and just disrupt the radio app enough for it to be a problem on the Nexus.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I talked my wife into getting a SGS3 because she wanted to upgrade from her Droid Incredible 2. Simply put she is starting to really like the phone. Anyway, while playing with it and comparing it to my GNex, I notice how, for a newly launched device, everything just works....and it works well. When the GNex launched at the latter part of last year, it was obvious that it had several isssues (battery, accelerometer, signal, lag, data drops, ect...). How can Samsung put out such a bug-ridden device with the GNex launch, but just months later launch a very capable device in the SGS3 - both flagship devices literally just months apart? The hardware specs are not light years apart, actually, they are somewhat similar with the exception of more onboard RAM in the SGS3. Was it that hard to get the GNex right the first time?

You answered your own question in a few different ways.

1. The SG3 benefits from a mature version of ics, whereas the Nexus, being an, erm, nexus, was the guinea pig device for the new software.

2. The processor on the S3 is a full generation ahead of the OMAP, and is enough of a leap forward to shame the nexus.

3. The S3 does not run 'Android'. It runs TouchWiz on top of android. Samsung makes a huge number of tweaks with their skin, many of which either dumb down stock android or replace it with something that is very different.

But all of that ignores the most important thing: if you are an early adopter of Google's latest nexus phone, you should expect bugs and an experience that doesn't necessarily 'just work'. That's the peril of buying early.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You answered your own question in a few different ways.

1. The SG3 benefits from a mature version of ics, whereas the Nexus, being an, erm, nexus, was the guinea pig device for the new software.

2. The processor on the S3 is a full generation ahead of the OMAP, and is enough of a leap forward to shame the nexus.

3. The S3 does not run 'Android'. It runs TouchWiz on top of android. Samsung makes a huge number of tweaks with their skin, many of which either dumb down stock android or replace it with something that is very different.

But all of that ignores the most important thing: if you are an early adopter of Google's latest nexus phone, you should expect bugs and an experience that doesn't necessarily 'just work'. That's the peril of buying early.

IMO, we should all stop calling the OEM customizations "skins". Instead, we should call them experiences.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
IMO, we should all stop calling the OEM customizations "skins". Instead, we should call them experiences.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I like the explanation of some others (I think it might have been Phil or Jerry) that the skins should be considered the OS because of the depth of modifications.

Reactions: Ry

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Because Google had a big hand in all the design elements of the Nexus and not with the SIII. Not to say Google is at total fault but too many cooks kill the soup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance