Unlimited data sticking around?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
One of the women that work with just got a Galaxy S 3. She loves it. It's her first smart phone so she only got the 2GB data plan.

Her son had a Thunderbolt. But he liked his mom's S3 so much that he went to the Verizon store and upgraded to the S3. He has an unlimited data plan and was prepared to get the 2GB plan since I had told them that the upgrade would eliminate the unlimited plan. But guess what? He's still on the unlimited plan after the upgrade.

They verified this at the time of the transaction. And, two days later she called Verizon to see if the unlimited was still in place for her son's S3. Sure enough it is. It's been a week now and she went online today and her son's plan still shows unlimited.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or was this just a Verizon store agent's good keyboarding that made this happen?

ARossetter

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Nah, they were pretty clear that people that previously had unlimited data would NOT be forced into a new plan with a two year upgrade.

Those of us that have been with Big Red for a while are safe. For now. :)

- Andy

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
One of the women that work with just got a Galaxy S 3. She loves it. It's her first smart phone so she only got the 2GB data plan.

Her son had a Thunderbolt. But he liked his mom's S3 so much that he went to the Verizon store and upgraded to the S3. He has an unlimited data plan and was prepared to get the 2GB plan since I had told them that the upgrade would eliminate the unlimited plan. But guess what? He's still on the unlimited plan after the upgrade.

They verified this at the time of the transaction. And, two days later she called Verizon to see if the unlimited was still in place for her son's S3. Sure enough it is. It's been a week now and she went online today and her son's plan still shows unlimited.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or was this just a Verizon store agent's good keyboarding that made this happen?

I did the exact same thing called and they confirmed I locked in unlimited even though it was after the date and I didn't preorder I was shocked

GSIII VZW via tapatalk 2

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are in a position to get an upgrade and Verizon tries to force you out of your unlimited data you have the option to KEEP unlimited data, but it will take some work.

If you are in GOOD standing with Verizon and you tell them you are going to CANCEL your account and get a GSM Gnex on PlayStore and go to a prepaid plan on another carrier I guarantee the retention rep will let you keep unlimited.

This was done over the phone and NOT in a store. I will NEVER purchase a phone from a store that I don't know a rep. I recently did that for my parents and it was NOT a good experience.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If you are in a position to get an upgrade and Verizon tries to force you out of your unlimited data you have the option to KEEP unlimited data, but it will take some work.

If you are in GOOD standing with Verizon and you tell them you are going to CANCEL your account and get a GSM Gnex on PlayStore and go to a prepaid plan on another carrier I guarantee the retention rep will let you keep unlimited.

This was done over the phone and NOT in a store. I will NEVER purchase a phone from a store that I don't know a rep. I recently did that for my parents and it was NOT a good experience.

If you are in a position to follow through with that then you are fine. For me, I have 4 lines with 3 different contract end dates. If I told them that, I am sure they would tell me "see ya!". I am not paying any ETF's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you are in a position to follow through with that then you are fine. For me, I have 4 lines with 3 different contract end dates. If I told them that, I am sure they would tell me "see ya!". I am not paying any ETF's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

This happened when I cancelled one of my lines. They threw everything including the kitchen sink at me trying to keep that extra line. You with all your lines are in a great position. Tell them this is the first of your lines you are cancelling as you prepare to shift your family to another carrier when the first line comes to its end. They won't say "see ya".

Jeenyus

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My cousin just got the s3 upgrade and they took away his unlimited data even though he's been on Verizon for years told him just play full price but he didn't listen. I think only way to keep unlimited is to buy phone for full price

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
^^^They dont just take it away. He agreed to get the phone subsidized for the 2GB plan or whatever he got. Did he pay full price for the phone?

You have to call Verizin with the purpose of cancelling a line. Out of the blue (of course with a due contract otherwise they'll tell you to pay etf and gtfo). Once with the retention rep tell them you dont agree with their policies yadda yadda and he will say "What can I do?" You say "Give me that phone and let me keep unlimited data".

When the rep asked me that I was pretty dumbfounded. He offered an upgrade and keep unlimited earlier that I turned down and after he asked the open question I didnt know what to say. I finally got the line cancelled. I talked with the guy for over an hour. I was very open with Rooting and Roming and bootloaders etc.

He kept telling me how much better shared data was and how its "What the customers wanted" which kinda upset me because they never asked me. That was the main point for the cancelling

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I actually gave my unlimited data plan up voluntarily. My girlfriends contract was up with Sprint and we've been wanting to get her on VZW to consolidate our bills for awhile. The Rezound custom roms where good, but all the turmoil etc got old, so the time was right imo, because i have to have a constant stream of new toys to flash all sorts of rom goodness.

So I got me a Gnex (could have waited for the S3 but meh) and gave her my Rezound.

Using wifi at home and work i managed to only use about 300megs a month of my 4Gig shared data plan.. i looked at her usage and shes at like 30 megs, if that stays the norm, i'll drop us down to the 2 gig limit. Not everyone can do that though, and rely heavily on their phones as primary sources of internet at home and what not, I'm just lucky I think.
I have to admit though, its nice not worrying about when/if what upgrade or change will happen that will cause me to lose my unlimited data.. :cool:

cheers

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get unlimited data until last November. I called up Verizon's retention dept and told them that I wanted unlimited data even though it was way past the deadline of last summer. I reminded them that I have been a long time Verizon customer with my cell phone and Fios internet and cable. They agreed with no problems at all. So are you guys saying that if I were to upgrade my phone by extending my contract and not paying full price that there is a chance that I could lose my unlimited plan?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My cousin just got the s3 upgrade and they took away his unlimited data even though he's been on Verizon for years told him just play full price but he didn't listen. I think only way to keep unlimited is to buy phone for full price

what happens when you try to upgrade online

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
As someone who actually sells phones let me say that this whole no more unlimited thing isn't that terrible. 90% of the people I see with smart phones on Verizon use around half a gig per month and would do just fine on the plans offered. Just my two cents. Not anything to get frustrated about if your in that 90%. Now who's gonna flame at me first?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As someone who actually sells phones let me say that this whole no more unlimited thing isn't that terrible. 90% of the people I see with smart phones on Verizon use around half a gig per month and would do just fine on the plans offered. Just my two cents. Not anything to get frustrated about if your in that 90%. Now who's gonna flame at me first?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mememe!

You are right though. 90% of users dont see the big deal because they are using their device like a phone and messenger with an email or two attached and call themselves trendy.

But if its their primary internet consumption device and can easily draw 5+ GBs a month on 4G then there is a problem. Will the future of consumer usage go up or down? Did the cost/mb go up or down? is the future mobile or not?

Of course a salesman doesnt see the issue but will when there are no consumers left or the salesmen are replaced by a box.
/tinhatoff

Reactions: TauntingBull

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think verizon's new plan system is a bunch of crap.

It works decently for people who have more than one phone/device on their plan. For those of us (like me) who use 1 device these plans actually hurt us.

If I were to drop my unlimited data plan right now for a new 'share everything' plan with the 2gb of data, I would actually end up paying MORE per month than I am right now. I have a 450 minute plan, I have never gone over that limit, not even close. WTH do I need to pay for UNLIMITED minutes for? it has no use to me. Now, unlimited DATA does have a major use for me, especially since my area was just upgraded to 4g a few months ago, and I'm paying LESS for a plan that fits well into how I use my phone? why would I change that? answer, I wouldn't.

My next phone will be bought on eBay 2 or 3 months after its released, because theres no way I'm losing my unlimited data.

Reactions: TauntingBull

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR