Galaxy Nexus with JB or Galaxy s3?

ayooo0

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
About to get a new phone should I go with the Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3. I'm coming from a Droid Incredible 2 so battery life a little better or the same is fine, also I like a descent camera, is it really THAT bad on GNex? Also if i got the Galaxy S3 I would root cyanogen mod onto it i saw a video its no prob. Please help lol its a hard decision.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
About to get a new phone should I go with the Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3. I'm coming from a Droid Incredible 2 so battery life a little better or the same is fine, also I like a d;escent camera, is it really THAT bad on GNex? Also if i got the Galaxy S3 I would root cyanogen mod onto it i saw a video its no prob. Please help lol its a hard decision.

Hold on to what you got and wait for the gnex 2 to come
E out later this year.

DanielGalvez

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
i chose the Gnex. I mean, sure the s3 is all people are talking about right now, but in 3 months it will be old news. Seriously it annoys me how people are so oblivious to how these manufacturers dont update their phones, and they simply become outdated. The Galaxy nexus came out almost a year ago and its still in demand, because it gets updated by google; its a google phone. The s3 does have better hardware, but it might get the next version of android after jb and then it will be forgotten just like all other non google android phones. The galaxy nexus will always have a port for the newest OS. Just look at the old nexus one, its running jelly bean! Haha, i made that mistake when i got a thunderbolt, and it was hard because i had the newest and greatest phone for about 2 months, then it got left behind like all the others because all these major companies spit out as many phones as possible and dont care about their past phones, (One of the few reasons i like apple, they keep their phones updated and care about them, unlike most android manufacturers.) So its your choice, newest hardware but soon to be left behind, or old hardware but newest software for years. Hope this helped, and i assure you, you wont be dissapointed with the gnex!

Reactions: sg01 and ayooo0

ayooo0

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
i chose the Gnex. I mean, sure the s3 is all people are talking about right now, but in 3 months it will be old news. Seriously it annoys me how people are so oblivious to how these manufacturers dont update their phones, and they simply become outdated. The Galaxy nexus came out almost a year ago and its still in demand, because it gets updated by google; its a google phone. The s3 does have better hardware, but it might get the next version of android after jb and then it will be forgotten just like all other non google android phones. The galaxy nexus will always have a port for the newest OS. Just look at the old nexus one, its running jelly bean! Haha, i made that mistake when i got a thunderbolt, and it was hard because i had the newest and greatest phone for about 2 months, then it got left behind like all the others because all these major companies spit out as many phones as possible and dont care about their past phones, (One of the few reasons i like apple, they keep their phones updated and care about them, unlike most android manufacturers.) So its your choice, newest hardware but soon to be left behind, or old hardware but newest software for years. Hope this helped, and i assure you, you wont be dissapointed with the gnex!

Should I wait for gnex 2 in your opinion?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
If you plan on rooting, then theres no reason to get the Nexus unless you really want the best community support.
Im sure the S3 will have great support and ROMS (just not as good as the GNex)

But I would say the S3...

I choose the Gnex cause I dont want to Root and I want to ensure I get the latest software for the next 2 years.... Sure, on verizon it may not be immediate, but I know ill get it.....
-Danny

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I vote for the nexus, missing mine

The S3 is nice but the software on the nexus cannot be beat

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Should I wait for gnex 2 in your opinion?

No one knows when the next Nexus device will be released (other than probably sometime toward the end of the year) or what it will be, other than some sketchy rumors. Also, there will always be a better device right around the corner, it's silly to not buy a device because "you're waiting for the next one." If a device appeals to you and you deem it enough of an upgrade, then go for it.

As for your question, the S3 has better specs, but will probably take even longer than the Verizon GN has to get updates (let's keep in mind, the S3 has to go through a Samsung update process AND a Verizon approval process, whereas the GN just has the Verizon hurdle). Also, it has a locked bootloader, meaning a less robust dev community and a lesser variety of ROMs. They're both good pieces of hardware, so it really depends on what's important to you (and the very vocal people who have had issues with the GN are to be ignored - if you get a defective one, exchange it. Seeing as I'm on my first GN with no issues, those complaining of problems with every one they've had are either exaggerating or extremely unlucky).

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you care more about hardware, go GS3. If software is more important to you, go Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

vzwty

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Gs3 and a nexus 7 tablet. That's what I did and I'm very happy with my decision. In just couldn't bring myself to use my upgrade on an old model when the gs3 had the latest and greatest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rich.x87

rich.x87

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
About to get a new phone should I go with the Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3. I'm coming from a Droid Incredible 2 so battery life a little better or the same is fine, also I like a descent camera, is it really THAT bad on GNex? Also if i got the Galaxy S3 I would root cyanogen mod onto it i saw a video its no prob. Please help lol its a hard decision.

No brainer. SGS3. The GNEXUS is a almost year old device. I say waite about 3 months and you'll get the JB update for the S3.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No brainer. SGS3. The GNEXUS is a almost year old device. I say waite about 3 months and you'll get the JB update for the S3.

Muddied down by touchwiz thou.

Honestly, if you are going to root it anyways, get the S3. It has better hardware and has a better camera....but stock for stock I wouldn't give up my nexus for anything on the market right now.....it is THAT good of a phone....especially with jelly bean.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat for my wife. I love my GNex but not sure if I should buy her the S3 or a GNex. I'm not going to wait for the next Nexus because I doubt it will be on Verizon. I'm thinking I will buy her a GNex just because I can trust that it will get updates and will be a phone she can use happily for two years.

samanthanielquel

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
S3 would be a good option. The problem with the nexus is each time you get the version of os update there have been problems like signal and wifi etc. Rooting is done easily on s3.

rich.x87

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Muddied down by touchwiz thou.

Honestly, if you are going to root it anyways, get the S3. It has better hardware and has a better camera....but stock for stock I wouldn't give up my nexus for anything on the market right now.....it is THAT good of a phone....especially with jelly bean.

Yeah.. I hate how Samsung bloats Android.

Rooting is always the option for me. Not quite convinced on the GNexus hardware, but it is true, no big leap on devices. Hope fall brings good stuff.

Roberts3000

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I would go for the Gnex. It will still be receiving updates long after samsung is making excuses why the galaxy S3 can not run latest version of android. Look at the nexus s vs. The galaxy s. Same hardware but some how the the galaxy s can't run anything past gingerbread.
I know you can root it. I just will not support Samsung release it and forget it attitude.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

junglesnake98

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just get them both like me and swap sims, that's what I do. Right now I'm on a nexus kick but in all honesty that gnex is free at bestbuy right now and you can't beat that!

ayooo0

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Just get them both like me and swap sims, that's what I do. Right now I'm on a nexus kick but in all honesty that gnex is free at bestbuy right now and you can't beat that!

Lol I'm not rich can't get 2 phones.... And ya I'm going with GNex! FREE!

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy s3 on verizon has a locked bootloader. I think the S3 is a better phone and will have great support, so I would encourage going with that, but the locked bootloader is very bad.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I hated TouchWiz on the Galaxy S III (I feel the same way about most skins after owning a Galaxy Nexus) but the battery life was much better. I also sometimes found myself struggling to hit the back and menu keys as they are really tucked low and to the sides of the S III. I also prefer the feeling of the Nexus as it doesn't feel so slippery and I like the added weight of the device.

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

The Verizon nexus is not updated directly from Google. It is updated by Verizon an updates are not necessarily quick, loom how long it took to get 4.0.4. Long after every other galaxy nexus model.

I would venture a bet that both the s3 and verizon nexus will get official jelly bean in the same time frame.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance