Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smokie11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 / 4.1.1

Default Tethering Question - Help A Noob

I am the owner of an unrooted Galaxy Nexus (Verizon).

I have never tethered to my laptop because Verizon charges.

With the latest deal Verizon reached with the FCC does this mean I can use something like FoxFi and tether now? No charges?

I am on a grandfathered, unlimited plan.

Thanks.
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Tethering Question - Help A Noob

You could always use FoxFi with the Nexus. Or just install any widget that toggles the hotspot. I use Elixir 2 - Widgets.

If you are asking if you can do it legally... then I believe the answer is no, the FCC ruling does not include unlimited plans from what Ive read so far (anyone correct me if Im wrong)

-Danny

I've tethered for over a year now. I loved foxfi, but it doesn't work with Jellybean (doesn't matter anyways since JB already has tethering built in). Last time I checked, foxfi has an add-on which uses a web proxy server to hide tether usage.

I pay for 20G a month and prob spend half of those on tethering. I've been doing this for awhile now with no repercussions yet, so I honestly wouldn't worry about getting in trouble. However, that's just me. As a precaution (which could be real unnecessary) I've disabled all verizon apps on my phone just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
    If you are asking if you can do it legally... then I believe the answer is no, the FCC ruling does not include unlimited plans from what Ive read so far (anyone correct me if Im wrong)

-Danny
    There is nothing illegal about tethering with what you have already paid for , Verizon is double dipping and charging for the same service twice...the only one doing something wrong is Verizon.
    JET4 likes this.