How to Update Google Wallet APK on a Non-Rooted Verizon GNEX

baybreeze

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a stock, non-rooted Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Quite a few months ago, I found a Google Wallet APK and installed it by side-loading it. I also had loaded some money onto a Google prepaid paypass/debit card that's in the app.

Today I read that Google added the ability to link any credit or debit card and I would love to do that. I did find some links with the newest APK, but can someone tell me how to install an updated APK without losing the prepaid card that I currently have set up in Wallet? I want to do it correctly and not lose my loaded money. Is there even a way to do this?

I also saved a backup of my original APK.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have installed a bunch of google wallet versions, here's what I do
Go to settings> apps> find the google wallet app> from the app, clear cache> clear data, then uninstall the old version of google wallet.
Find where you have the new version of google wallet apk and install it.Follow the steps to activate it as you did in previous version.
It will remember you have money still on your Google Wallet once you have activate that card.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Blah I was hoping somebody had a way to force the update that didn't involve uninstalling the app. I didn't sideload mine, I installed it using the market workaround, which (until now) automatically updated just fine. However I did get a replacement device at some point, I hadn't noticed if that had an effect on the app still showing up as installed legitimately or not after that. I thought it still showed up ok. I use the app on a nearly daily basis and the news that they now support other cards was practically the best thing I've heard all week... but not if I can't update to use it :(

jennyfur

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Woohoo! Nevermind, found the answer in another thread. For anybody who installed the app through the market, here's how to force it to update:

Head to the "All Apps" section (past the "Installed" section) of your My Apps in the Play store...that's where it'll be. Then just hit update.

eth555

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I opened my Google Wallet app just now, and a pop up box came up saying there was an update to Google Wallet and asked to either postpone or update. I selected update, it did an update in the app. I looked in the about section it says Version 1.1-R67-v4; not sure if this is that latest or not and I do not know which version I had before. Does anyone know what the latest version is? Thanks

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I went to the Play Store's Google Wallet page and was informed that Google Wallet was installed (I installed it some time ago with the browser workaround). However, the update was not offered. So I just hit the blue "Installed" button (top left corner) and selected install on my Gnex. Et voila I had this latest version a few seconds later.

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Play Store's Google Wallet page and was informed that Google Wallet was installed (I installed it some time ago with the browser workaround). However, the update was not offered. So I just hit the blue "Installed" button (top left corner) and selected install on my Gnex. Et voila I had this latest version a few seconds later.

Ditto here... has worked for the last couple updates for me.

-Mike

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I installed wallet from the .apk previously and never had seen it in my "installed" apps section, never thought to check the all apps listing tho. Lol but it did always show as "installed" when I would pull up the app through the browser on my laptop. When I saw any the update the other day I just clicked on "installed" from my browser on my laptop and it essentially pushed the updated version of the app to my phone and works perfectly.

baybreeze

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, everyone, for the replies! I am going to attempt to install the new APK tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works.

I just read today on a few websites that Verizon is now unblocking Google Wallet since they had to unblock all the tethering apps as well; however, this might just be an untrue rumor, not sure. I kept going in and out of the Play Store today, but Wallet never showed up for me. I still can't install it normally through the Play Store, it still says my device is not supported.

After I install the new file, I'll post back to post if it worked or not. Wish me luck! LOL

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-08-03-20-34-40.png

stuck on this screen-

baybreeze

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I just uninstalled my old APK following the direx in this thread and installed the newest APK. During the set up process, the app stopped twice, but I finally got through it. I just went to set up my Google prepaid card again, and walllaaaa.....it's there! Awesome. Looks like I'm all set to go. Now I'll add my other cards. Thanks again everyone for the help and the new APK!!!!!!

Now, I just wonder....when adding my debit and credit cards, where it asks for your phone number, can you leave it as your cell number? Or do you have to provide the phone number on file with the credit card? Mine are different.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Woohoo! Nevermind, found the answer in another thread. For anybody who installed the app through the market, here's how to force it to update:
That didn't work for me.

---------- Post Merged at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:05 PM ----------

This: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/Wallet 1.5-R79-v5.apk

If it isn't installing make sure under Settings > Security you have checked to allow installation from unknown sources. Otherwise it should work fine. :)
I tried clicking on your link to download the updated version wallet, but it tells me that it is restricted content. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers