How to Update Google Wallet APK on a Non-Rooted Verizon GNEX
03-12-2013 04:53 PM
- I have a stock, non-rooted Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Quite a few months ago, I found a Google Wallet APK and installed it by side-loading it. I also had loaded some money onto a Google prepaid paypass/debit card that's in the app.
Today I read that Google added the ability to link any credit or debit card and I would love to do that. I did find some links with the newest APK, but can someone tell me how to install an updated APK without losing the prepaid card that I currently have set up in Wallet? I want to do it correctly and not lose my loaded money. Is there even a way to do this?
I also saved a backup of my original APK.08-01-2012 06:36 PM
- davidncModerator CaptainI have installed a bunch of google wallet versions, here's what I do
Go to settings> apps> find the google wallet app> from the app, clear cache> clear data, then uninstall the old version of google wallet.
Find where you have the new version of google wallet apk and install it.Follow the steps to activate it as you did in previous version.
It will remember you have money still on your Google Wallet once you have activate that card.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus08-01-2012 06:54 PM
- Blah I was hoping somebody had a way to force the update that didn't involve uninstalling the app. I didn't sideload mine, I installed it using the market workaround, which (until now) automatically updated just fine. However I did get a replacement device at some point, I hadn't noticed if that had an effect on the app still showing up as installed legitimately or not after that. I thought it still showed up ok. I use the app on a nearly daily basis and the news that they now support other cards was practically the best thing I've heard all week... but not if I can't update to use it08-01-2012 07:57 PM
- Woohoo! Nevermind, found the answer in another thread. For anybody who installed the app through the market, here's how to force it to update:08-01-2012 08:04 PM
- I opened my Google Wallet app just now, and a pop up box came up saying there was an update to Google Wallet and asked to either postpone or update. I selected update, it did an update in the app. I looked in the about section it says Version 1.1-R67-v4; not sure if this is that latest or not and I do not know which version I had before. Does anyone know what the latest version is? Thanks08-01-2012 08:35 PM
- There is a link to the updated Wallet apk in the comment section of the droid life forums. I downloaded it, Android FT and installed without a problem on my 100% stock VZW GN. Hope this helps.
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/08/01...or-debit-card/08-01-2012 08:35 PM
- I went to the Play Store's Google Wallet page and was informed that Google Wallet was installed (I installed it some time ago with the browser workaround). However, the update was not offered. So I just hit the blue "Installed" button (top left corner) and selected install on my Gnex. Et voila I had this latest version a few seconds later.08-02-2012 11:13 AM
- I went to the Play Store's Google Wallet page and was informed that Google Wallet was installed (I installed it some time ago with the browser workaround). However, the update was not offered. So I just hit the blue "Installed" button (top left corner) and selected install on my Gnex. Et voila I had this latest version a few seconds later.
-Mike08-02-2012 11:38 AM
- I installed wallet from the .apk previously and never had seen it in my "installed" apps section, never thought to check the all apps listing tho. Lol but it did always show as "installed" when I would pull up the app through the browser on my laptop. When I saw any the update the other day I just clicked on "installed" from my browser on my laptop and it essentially pushed the updated version of the app to my phone and works perfectly.08-03-2012 05:41 PM
- Thank you, everyone, for the replies! I am going to attempt to install the new APK tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works.
I just read today on a few websites that Verizon is now unblocking Google Wallet since they had to unblock all the tethering apps as well; however, this might just be an untrue rumor, not sure. I kept going in and out of the Play Store today, but Wallet never showed up for me. I still can't install it normally through the Play Store, it still says my device is not supported.
After I install the new file, I'll post back to post if it worked or not. Wish me luck! LOL08-03-2012 06:36 PM
- Ok, I just uninstalled my old APK following the direx in this thread and installed the newest APK. During the set up process, the app stopped twice, but I finally got through it. I just went to set up my Google prepaid card again, and walllaaaa.....it's there! Awesome. Looks like I'm all set to go. Now I'll add my other cards. Thanks again everyone for the help and the new APK!!!!!!
Now, I just wonder....when adding my debit and credit cards, where it asks for your phone number, can you leave it as your cell number? Or do you have to provide the phone number on file with the credit card? Mine are different.08-04-2012 04:26 PM
If it isn't installing make sure under Settings > Security you have checked to allow installation from unknown sources. Otherwise it should work fine.09-26-2012 11:46 AMLike 2
- thank you 2def, i was able to use that to get it to work i will install a cc later today....much thanks againThis: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/Wa...1.5-R79-v5.apk
If it isn't installing make sure under Settings > Security you have checked to allow installation from unknown sources. Otherwise it should work fine.09-30-2012 05:09 AM
---------- Post Merged at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:05 PM ----------This: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/Wa...1.5-R79-v5.apk
If it isn't installing make sure under Settings > Security you have checked to allow installation from unknown sources. Otherwise it should work fine.10-03-2012 12:07 AM
- 10-03-2012 05:48 AM
- 10-03-2012 08:33 AM
- 10-03-2012 03:15 PM
- 10-03-2012 04:08 PM
And yeah I saw about the new version, I'll post an apk in a bit.10-03-2012 04:09 PMLike 2
- New version, 10/3/12: Download Wallet 1.5-R81-v4.apk from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
EDIT: Update advice:
Option 1 - (assumes already installed and activated) - Open Wallet, go to menu, settings, reset wallet. Allow it to finish the reset. Uninstall. Then install from the apk.
Option 2 - (also assumes already installed) - Just download the apk and have it update.
I recommend option 1 over option 2. Do what you will, don't hold me responsible10-03-2012 04:34 PMLike 3
- Samsung Android Phones
- More Samsung Phones
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- Verizon Galaxy Nexus
How to Update Google Wallet APK on a Non-Rooted Verizon GNEX
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD