Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By killroy420
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gnex or gs3?

Looking for honest opinions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Default Re: Gnex or gs3?

Quote Originally Posted by BullFrog76 View Post
    Looking for honest opinions.

We have a few threads covering the subject. Feel free to peruse .

Galaxy Nexus with JB or Galaxy s3?

if VZW GN gets official OTA JB now, will it affect VZW GS3 sales?

Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

As far as Android goes, I am done buying phones that are not Nexus branded, I don't care how "magical" the features and hardware. The ability to get the latest software updates from Google trumps anything the other non Nexus branded phones may offer.

My choice is also more on philosophical at this point than consumerist: do you want to support the company who is actually trying to make your life better by giving you the best possible experience with your device (Google), or do you want to support the company who wants nothing more than to take as much money from you as possible while doing as little as possible to give you a good experience (the telcos). I dare you to find a non Nexus branded Android smartphone on ANY carrier that is not full of software bloat and guaranteed to get more than one software over its lifetime. Though it may be limited, buying Nexus may be as close to "sticking it to the man" as we can get without ditching our smart phones entirely. Either way, we live in a Democracy and we vote with our wallets; so make your choice and be proud that you did!

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.
    Thanked by:
    asmallchild, mikebear and AZDROIDX like this.

My reason for GN over S3 is no overlay. I prefer Google Vanilla A LOT.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

I originally had the GS3, and I did love it. But I found myself trying to make it look like stock android, and I wanted JB now. Not as easy to do on the GS3. Exchanged it today because my GS3 kept telling me No Sim everytime I went to make a call, which got very old fast.

Within an hour of having my gnex home, I had it unlocked, rooted and jb loaded and running.

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by mikebear View Post
    My reason for GN over S3 is no overlay. I prefer Google Vanilla A LOT.
    Mmmmm....vanilla jelly beans...one of my favorite next to licorice

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

ROM
    Stock

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

It really depends first go to the store and see if the S3 fits nice in your hand, if it feels good then ask yourself , what your going to use your phone for if its for media, YouTube ,music ,taking lots of pics and video ( as your main or only camera) then go with the S3 if you like vanilla android don't need more than 32 gb and the camera isn't that important go with the galaxy nexus . Also resale wise I'd chose the S3 since now the gnex is free on Verizon with a 2 year contract. If you have any questions regarding the gnex , razor Maxx , stratosphere or thunderbolt pm me (that goes for anyone). I've owned them all at one point or any other

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by killroy420 View Post
    As far as Android goes, I am done buying phones that are not Nexus branded, I don't care how "magical" the features and hardware. The ability to get the latest software updates from Google trumps anything the other non Nexus branded phones may offer. .
    I came to this same conclusion a few months ago. I got sick of having to peruse the market to find launchers, dialers, sms and browser replacements just to gain back the functionality that is often lost with 3rd party software.

CMx helps, but ROMs, no matter how stable always left a bug or 2 here and there, and lacked 100% functionality. I also don't care for Samsung's direction of the S3, which seems so foreign to Google's, ie: a huge home button, which doubles as a multi-task button. How will you launch Google Now when the S3 eventually gets JB? It'll likely have a workaround which only further fragments itself, much like HTC's way of avoiding the legacy menu button issue, instead of just making the damn thing buttonless, but I digress...

Seeing The Nexus running JB perform faster than the S3 despite it having "inferior" hardware is pretty much all you the proof you need. Look at the iPhone, that device has never really been the greatest in terms of hardware, but offers a consistent user experience. By purchasing a Nexus, you're exposing yourself to a very similar eco-system.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

Gnex. Updates quicker and always unlike s3 you'll be waiting a ton. Plus software is so much better on gnex. Also the gnex is free at best buy!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I'm just trying to figure out which phone to spend my $600 on.

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

The expandibility of the S3 (micro SD), much better battery life with the S4 chip, more future proof with 2 GB ram, nicer screen all make the S3 my choice. I'm happy with my S3 even though it took some work (always a work in progress) to get it the way I want and after seeing Jelly Bean on my Nexus 7 I don't think I'm missing that much (although I've just started playing with Jelly Bean). I want my S3 to last AT LEAST 2 years since this is my last subsidized upgrade with Verizon I want to make it last. Although Samsung may be slow with updates (which OEM/Carrier isn't) I am happy with the phone as is and when/if the upgrade comes I'll be happy with that also. If the Verizon Nexus was $350 off contract (like the GSM) then it would be a different story (GSM version for TMo/ATT has very good battery life with HSPA+). I would not buy the GNex on contract at this time on VZW or Sprint and if I were on ATT/TMo I would spend the $350 in the Google play for an unlocked version.

Look you have to ask your self what you are looking for... Do the research go in the store and compare... Some of these guys are more Google fans than anything else and by right that's fine... Me I like features and options.. So the GS3 is by far better for me... If you care about having updates fast then the Nexus is it...But unless you are in to hacking and flashing your phone... I'd get the GS3 having pure andoid is great and I can appreciate that.. But it's not for everyone..its funny because many updates Google makes, the ideas come from other skins like sense and touch wiz... Bottom line buy what feels best and you have 14 days to take it back

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    liquidsmooth

I have used the s3 its the same phone with a better camera just as fast the only down side I think needs to be looked at is reception and battery life if those are better get the Gs3 other than that the nexus is the best phone I have ever had and used to sell phones

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2