Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google to really take charge of all nexus devices this year?

I read this in an article of course this is just a rumor. But rumor has it that google will be able to update all the nexus devices this year weather it be CDMA or GSM models all from there servers? Any thoughts? Does anyone actually have info on this? This would be awesome. Carriers no longer in the way of updates for the nexus brand?
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Default Re: Google to really take charge of all nexus devices this year?

Quote Originally Posted by slik6996 View Post
    I read this in an article of course this is just a rumor. But rumor has it that google will be able to update all the nexus devices this year weather it be CDMA or GSM models all from there servers? Any thoughts? Does anyone actually have info on this? This would be awesome. Carriers no longer in the way of updates for the nexus brand?
    As awesome as that would be if it were true, it probably isnt. I dont see Verizon allowing that on their CDMA/LTE network. Who knows though, but I'm not inclined to believe it until I see it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    As awesome as that would be if it were true, it probably isnt. I dont see Verizon allowing that on their CDMA/LTE network. Who knows though, but I'm not inclined to believe it until I see it.
    We can only hope that would be awesome.

That'd be great, but I don't see it becoming a reality. Do you have a link to the original article?

I doubt this will happen .... unless Apple buys Google, then it will...

Let me play devils advocate here (the likely hood of this is not high in my opinion but its a thought I had).
    Verizon likes to approve everything for their LTE they are protective of it, its their cash making baby. But now with ATT with lte (and its not bad either) maybe they will losen their grip a bit, also if the new iphone has LTE then they will certainly let apple send the update for it so maybe Google got them to do the same.
    I know its not likely and i wont believe until i see it but there is no denying that Google is just as powerful as apple when they chose to be.

ROM
    Bugless Beast- GNex

I wouldn't say it would not happen on VZW, the unlocked S3 for Verizon is still a rumored device. Allowing the customer to buy from Samsung and activate on their CDM/LTE network is something no one would of seen years ago? Buy we'll see. I'm now a Nexus guy for life so I would love another one for Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by AZDROIDX View Post
    I wouldn't say it would not happen on VZW, the unlocked S3 for Verizon is still a rumored device. Allowing the customer to buy from Samsung and activate on their CDM/LTE network is something no one would of seen years ago? Buy we'll see. I'm now a Nexus guy for life so I would love another one for Verizon.
    I agree i dont think i could be content with anything but a nexus. every other phone i had there was always something better i wanted soon after i got it, but not with the nexus. i think the only thing i will want more is the new nexus. I do think im done with verizon, simply because the worldwide capability and suport of GSM
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dmlowery41 View Post
    That'd be great, but I don't see it becoming a reality. Do you have a link to the original article?
    No I don't I just randomly saw in an article talking about all the new phones coming out this year and it said it was a rumor it would be awesome though
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    436 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Not gonna happen on the CDMA side.
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    Not gonna happen on the CDMA side.
    It could happen you never know it works on both sides for the iPhone so Android can do it too.

Not going to happen for all the VZW GNexs out there. Why?

1. VZW has sold a lot of GNexs.
    2. When you sell a lot of GNexs, you have to (customer) support a lot of GNexs.
    3. When you have to support a lot of GNexs, you don't want to allow some company that has a spotty history of update reliability to make updates for your phones.
    4. If the update breaks something, it would be VZW having to deal with the support nightmare, not that other company.
    5. That other company doesn't have the infrastructure (yet) to provide the level of support accessibility (not necessarily quality) as VZW even if they were willing to take on that massive responsibility.

Apple submits there OS updates to Verizon too. It's all that beta crap that they put out every year. The networks are given a time line for bug fixes and solutions. Apple makes changes and it goes from their. Google puts out code and let's everyone do their thing. I'll stick with Google.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well looks like I won't have this problem much longer. Phone isn't charging and I have no warranty so I think I'm going to switch back to my family plan on att and get an unlocked nexus.
    Its insane that my etf and a unlocked Nexus is cheaper then one for Verizon off contract
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

What do you mean you have no warranty? The device and battery has a one year warranty weather you have insurance or not.

As for the topic of the post, the best you.can hope for is a model similar to why's apple does with giving carriers the devices and code and time to submit bug reports. It's not LTE that they are protective of ... They were this way long before LTE.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,011 Global Posts

Got a link?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    What do you mean you have no warranty? The device and battery has a one year warranty weather you have insurance or not.

As for the topic of the post, the best you.can hope for is a model similar to why's apple does with giving carriers the devices and code and time to submit bug reports. It's not LTE that they are protective of ... They were this way long before LTE.
    Seeing as I research phones all day I can honestly say I had no idea haha. You made my morning awesome! I really didn't want a thunderbolt again
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by jjt981 View Post
    Seeing as I research phones all day I can honestly say I had no idea haha. You made my morning awesome! I really didn't want a thunderbolt again
    As long as you are the original owner you are good.

Glad to be of help.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    As long as you are the original owner you are good.

Glad to be of help.
    Went in this morning and of course the phone charged in the store but they offered to send me a new one anyway. Good day. Thanks for the help!
    Banned

I would say this is speculation over the CDMA binaries being published for the nexus for JellyBean. This hasn't happened for Verizon before, so its big news. if you go here, you will notice that the ICS binaries conveniently leave out CDMA/LTE, but the Jelly Bean ones are there.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by jjt981 View Post
    Went in this morning and of course the phone charged in the store but they offered to send me a new one anyway. Good day. Thanks for the help!
    you're welcome
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison