Verizon's Galaxy S3 vs G-Nexus(which is better?) [HD]

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
So i decided to a Comparison/ vs video of the verizon GS3 vs Verizon G-Nexus... you may or may not agree with this video, non-the less im interested in hearing what you have to say... tell me whether im wrong or right? let me hear your side of the story

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4NVOvweR4[/YT]

whitewallman

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered the galaxy s3 32gb model as my final discounted handset from verizon. While it does have a couple nice features, I still prefer the nexus over it. Definately didnt "blow the nexus out the water" in any area. Was kinda unimpressed. Sold the s3 on Craigslist last week. Bought a spare nexus. ;-)

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
So besides the highlights G-nexus...has mainly updates? What else does the G-nexus over the GS3?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

whitewallman

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So besides the highlights G-nexus...has mainly updates? What else does the G-nexus over the GS3?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
What I like about Nexus:
No Verizon bloat, buttonless curved screen, huge development community. Spec-wise, aside from a SD slot, very similar. To me, the Galaxy Nexus is just a more attractive handset. S3 just isn't much of an upgrade. Never thought the S3 touchwiz UI felt as intuitive as the pure ICS/Jellybean experience. In my opinion, the only thing better than a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon right now is 2 of 'em!

Last edited:

steve dave

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
What I like about Nexus:
No Verizon bloat, buttonless curved screen, huge development community. Spec-wise, aside from a SD slot, very similar. To me, the Galaxy Nexus is just a more attractive handset. S3 just isn't much of an upgrade. Never thought the S3 touchwiz UI felt as intuitive as the pure ICS/Jellybean experience. In my opinion, the only thing better than a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon right now is 2 of 'em!

well to be fair, spec wise the S III is far superior in every way to the nexus except for the screen, which is debatable I guess.

Really the only reason anyone should get a nexus on verizon is if they really want vanilla android.

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Lol ..no Verizon bloat Haaah!!! That "my verzion" mobile is sitting there nice shinny and red waving at you like "hello" when first un-box that brand new G-nexus... in terms of real world use the the hardware the GS3 is def a couple notches above the G-nexus. The S4 snapdragon handle processing, 3D rendering and better battety life with an LTE radio station than the T.I. omap processor.... yes the skin is debatable since I'd overall prefer stock android... but these features u get... is something you def can't knock!!...solid battery on a LTE android device is golden...and once u install a jellybean keyboard from the google play store and rid yourself of that horrid Samsung keybaord.... behold a monster has handset has arrived!!! not to mention the eye candy of its superior Amoled HD screen!!! And for the camera buffs out there... a better camera... higher mega pixels is not what determines the better image quality.... but the lens it self... so really the only major perk is updates straight from Google

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
well to be fair, spec wise the S III is far superior in every way to the nexus except for the screen, which is debatable I guess.

Really the only reason anyone should get a nexus on verizon is if they really want vanilla android.

That answer is quite reasonable

whitewallman

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Lol ..no Verizon bloat Haaah!!! That "my verzion" mobile is sitting there nice shinny and red waving at you like "hello" when first un-box that brand new G-nexus... in terms of real world use the the hardware the GS3 is def a couple notches above the G-nexus. The S4 snapdragon handle processing, 3D rendering and better battety life with an LTE radio station than the T.I. omap processor.... yes the skin is debatable since I'd overall prefer stock android... but these features u get... is something you def can't knock!!...solid battery on a LTE android device is golden...and once u install a jellybean keyboard from the google play store and rid yourself of that horrid Samsung keybaord.... behold a monster has handset has arrived!!! not to mention the eye candy of its superior Amoled HD screen!!! And for the camera buffs out there... a better camera... higher mega pixels is not what determines the better image quality.... but the lens it self... so really the only major perk is updates straight from Google

Like I said, I had both. For about 10 days, nexus in one pocket, S3 in the other. Time after time, it was the nexus I preferred to use. The S3, not so much. Now, I know you're not comparing "my verizon" to the amount of bloat that comes on the S3, now are you? Many who root and rom go to great lengths to get that back on their customized nexus. Granted, the S3 has bling factor which will attract a lot of folks, just not me. A tad to gimmicky (pretty much regretted buying a blue phone the day it arrived, but that's on me). This is why I sold the S3. To be fair, I'm sure the lady that bought it loves it..

Last edited:

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd probably have kept using my Galaxy Nexus as a daily driver had the battery life been better. Even with the OEM extended (2100 mAh, same as the stock S3 battery), I could not get thru a day. I need the Sedio 3800 mAh battery just to get thru the day (granted it's a quite ample battery, but bulky).

No problem with the S3's stock battery.

Not sure if it's the older chip set, older screen technology or what, but the GNexus's battery life (at least the LTE edition's) is as bad as they come.

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, I had both. For about 10 days, nexus in one pocket, S3 in the other. Time after time, it was the nexus I preferred to use. The S3, not so much. Now, I know you're not comparing "my verizon" to the amount of bloat that comes on the S3, now are you? Many who root and rom go to great lengths to get that back on their customized nexus. Granted, the S3 has bling factor which will attract a lot of folks, just not me. A tad to gimmicky (pretty much regretted buying a blue phone the day it arrived, but that's on me). This is why I sold the S3. To be fair, I'm sure the lady that bought it loves it..

Your right you got the GS3 there.. if does has way more bloatware than the G-nexus... and I must say excellent debate sir, you choice what you prefer and your personal experience led you to the G-nexus over the GS3. I can respect the decision

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd probably have kept using my Galaxy Nexus as a daily driver had the battery life been better. Even with the OEM extended (2100 mAh, same as the stock S3 battery), I could not get thru a day. I need the Sedio 3800 mAh battery just to get thru the day (granted it's a quite ample battery, but bulky).

No problem with the S3's stock battery.

Not sure if it's the older chip set, older screen technology or what, but the GNexus's battery life (at least the LTE edition's) is as bad as they come.

That had to been the nail in the coffin for the G-nexus for me as well... the battery just couldn't hold me down for the day.... so I def needed 2 batteries to get threw the day... and depending how heavy I used it.. still had to charge one of em... kinda towards the last stretch of the day

whitewallman

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
That had to been the nail in the coffin for the G-nexus for me as well... the battery just couldn't hold me down for the day.... so I def needed 2 batteries to get threw the day... and depending how heavy I used it.. still had to charge one of em... kinda towards the last stretch of the day

I can't really offer an opinion on the stock battery, as mine came with the 2100 and I really have no complaints there. Plus, it is nfc compatible, so wallet still works fine. Which reminds me, no wallet when I had the S3, which kinda sucked. But "which is better" is kind of subjective. For me, the Galaxy Nexus is for the reasons stated.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As I said in the S3 threads where the OP asked the same question.
The only thing S3 has over my Nexus is better battery life and a better camera.IMO
On the flip side the Nexus has more developer support and has more Roms,more Mods .
Otherwise both of my phones perform as expected good signal , good sound.,etc.
No complaints about either in each devices abilities,if there was I would have gotten rid of them.:)

A far as the video goes on youtube I would have prefered you did the test with each phone running the same OS,rather it be with both on ICS or both on Jelly Bean but again thats my opinion ;) from an observer's view

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

settings
apps
myverizon
Disable

DONE!

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
settings
apps
myverizon
Disable

DONE!

Second this. My girlfriend has the S3, and I hate using it. Forget the Verizon stuff, that's not even an issue on the S3. The Samsung bloatware is the issue. It seems like there's two apps for everything because Samsung has their own bloated app for everything (Music, Voice Commands, etc.). TouchWhiz is the problem, and it's why I only buy stock Android now.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
TouchWhiz is the problem, and it's why I only buy stock Android now.

while i agree with you mostly.....would you not even consider the S3 even though the bootloader can be unlocked and it can be rooted and Flashed to an AOSP ROM?

i have seriously been considering trying to trade my nexus plus a little cash for an S3 ever since the bootloader got unlocked. i would be completely content with AOKP M5 until JB is completely stable (if it isn't already)

there is no denying the S3 has the better specs (S4 processor is superior, 2GB RAM, better camera, larger screen, slimmer design, larger battery, better radios) and there is no denying that is it going to have some pretty good dev support.

anyone wanna trade my Gnex for your S3....let me know. :)

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I started to watch the video. The author stated that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would get updates quickly. It was clear at that point the author knew nothing about the Nexus and was just shooting from the hip without doing any research. I stopped watching at that point.

My advice to the author of the video: If you want credibility in the tech world you need to earn it, don't be lazy.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I started to watch the video. The author stated that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would get updates quickly. It was clear at that point the author knew nothing about the Nexus and was just shooting from the hip without doing any research. I stopped watching at that point.

My advice to the author of the video: If you want credibility in the tech world you need to earn it, don't be lazy.

he also showed that it was running jellybean.....which it's not....stock anyway.
and the fact that jellybean on the Gnex does not support FLASH....that is just WRONG. Chrome is not the stock JB browser on galaxy nexus. the stock browser STILL supports FLASH.

however, i agree with most of the points of the video.
the S3 is slimmer, has a nicer screen (i am thinking this is due to the nexus' curved glass and the S3 using gorilla glass 2...it is thinner glass making it look better)
S3 has better battery life
better camera

i disagree about the touchwiz features. not only is touchwiz Ugly as sin...there are parts of this that are just cheesy (lock screen) and outdated looking (doesn't use ICS's new contacts display)
however i like the camera on TW....but thats about it.
not that it matters...anyone that loves the phone but hates the software is going to get rid of it anyway.

MallyMall88

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for being sarcastic... instead of saying don't you mean the GSM version of the G-nexus.. you say i simply don't know what I'm saying... this is clear to me .. that you took the video very personal and felt some kinda insult to your G-nexus pride.... yes I know Verizon slows down google updates due to its software examination it conducts... giving it a hurdle to overcome ... the gsm version doesn't need to worry about any of that... the update goes from point A(Google) to point B(G-Nexus phone)... but non the less the ROM is gonna reach its way to verizon's G-nexus..

So my advice to this viewer...Don't get so emotionally vested in a phone... yes we do enjoy our phone its a daily component of our lives... but when u express your self like that you show your level immaturity... don't be so sensitive

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for being sarcastic... instead of saying don't you mean the GSM version of the G-nexus.. you say i simply don't know what I'm saying... this is clear to me .. that you took the video very personal and felt some kinda insult to your G-nexus pride.... yes I know Verizon slows down google updates due to its software examination it conducts... giving it a hurdle to overcome ... the gsm version doesn't need to worry about any of that... the update goes from point A(Google) to point B(G-Nexus phone)... but non the less the ROM is gonna reach its way to verizon's G-nexus..

So my advice to this viewer...Don't get so emotionally vested in a phone... yes we do enjoy our phone its a daily component of our lives... but when u express your self like that you show your level immaturity... don't be so sensitive

Too late, my Oliver refuses to load the video on his screen :).

(jk)

Keep in mind, these are two vastly different devices. One is an Android device, with OK specs and with a clear stated purpose--to be Google's reference device. The other is a highly polished, top of the line Android-based device, which is catered to a larger crowd and, arguably, a different end user.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon