1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Default Dropped phone - cracked screen

So I cracked the screen pretty bad, fell on the hard tile on the kitchen floor. I have the TEC insurance - Asurion or whatever it is called for $6.99/month but I think I have to pay like $100 deductible.

I use the S3 as my main phone but I want to get this one fixed. The contract I have is on the Nexus not the S3. I got the Nexus in mid December.

I think I only cracked the outer screen because I can use my phone, it operates perfect so I think all I need is the outer glass screen and in that cause its pretty cheap compared to going through insurance:

Based on these attached photos, does it look like I only cracked the outer glass lens? If so I wonder if its easy to repair myself with the above product and tools that come with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dropped phone - cracked screen-20120826_183117.jpg   Dropped phone - cracked screen-20120826_183130.jpg   Dropped phone - cracked screen-20120826_183139.jpg  
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

ROM
    Stock Xoom, Nexus 4 AOKP

Default Re: Dropped phone - cracked screen

I wouldn't trust the straight from china screens. I have tried a few for my droid2, and none of them worked right.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB B1/Franco M5

Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    So I cracked the screen pretty bad, fell on the hard tile on the kitchen floor. I have the TEC insurance - Asurion or whatever it is called for $6.99/month but I think I have to pay like $100 deductible.

I use the S3 as my main phone but I want to get this one fixed. The contract I have is on the Nexus not the S3. I got the Nexus in mid December.

I think I only cracked the outer screen because I can use my phone, it operates perfect so I think all I need is the outer glass screen and in that cause its pretty cheap compared to going through insurance:

Based on these attached photos, does it look like I only cracked the outer glass lens? If so I wonder if its easy to repair myself with the above product and tools that come with it.
    If I remember correctly, someone on this forum sent their phone directly to samsung and it only cost 58 or so dollars to have the screen replaced. might want to check on that as well, nothing to lose especially since you have an S3 and wouldnt be without a phone while it was being repaired.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Thanks also seems it is not as easy as it looks to just DYI so maybe I will skip that route. I will try to find out about sending it to Samsung.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Ok I just chatted with live support at Samsung, they are telling me $168. I called tech support as well and they say the same thing. That is nuts, it will only cost me $100 with insurance.

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.04 IMM76K

Quote Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
    Ok I just chatted with live support at Samsung, they are telling me $168. I called tech support as well and they say the same thing. That is nuts, it will only cost me $100 with insurance.
    Yeah the replacement from insurance will most likely be a refurb, which means you have a high chance of getting a defective one. The one from Samsung will be your device with a new screen, so if you were happy with yours that's something to think about.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You might also consider Radio Shack. I don't know the entire selection but they now do screen replacement on certain phones.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 Service E
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Hmm I will check out radio shack also I do not mind a refurbished phone, I don't use it the phone part and the main issue people have witht he Nexus is that the signal sucks. I would only use the Nexus as a phone if I was to break my S3 and waited for a replacement so its basically just there for wifi related stuff.

I dropped my phone a couple weeks ago too, Cracked at the top near the front facing camera and did a V shape from corner to corner down to about where the clock is on the lock screen.

I haven't got it fixed yet because I don't have insurance on it and based on all I have read the $168 from Samsung is the cheapest...and I only paid $150 for the phone
    Last edited by TRC JackMac; 08-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS!

I'm in a similar boat, but I've just sucked it up because it really isn't THAT bad and it is still working fine.