[OTA][9/21] Official Jelly Bean JRO03O for the Verizon GNex

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]Unlocking and flashing zips, images, and generally anything on your device is risky. You assume all of the risk. If you screw up, we can help you, but AC, myself, and anyone linked or posting within these posts are not liable for any damage done. Further, this thread will be updated once the "official" OTA rolls out.[/WARN]

Well, the day has sort of come--Jelly Bean is here. Now, I say "sort of" because it's a test build, and may be different than what we finally get in the "official" rollout. The official build is out and this thread is updated :). Please see the HUMONGOUS BIG UPDATE at the bottom of this post for instructions to flash the JB OTA from either IMM76K or IMM76Q.

FOR THE LEAKED OTA:

[INFO]Here, in sum, is what you need to do to get on the leaked Jelly Bean (JRO03O):

1. Go completely back to stock 4.0.4/IMM76K by using either Wug's Toolkit or my Return to Stock guide.
  2. Unlock the device (if you relocked it) and install a custom recovery--either ClockworkMod or TWRP.
  3. Flash the IMM76Q package using the custom recovery.
  4. Flash the JRO03O update using the custom recovery.
[/INFO]

For step 1, I will let those threads take care of themselves. If you have issues, post there, and I/others will be along to help.

For step 2, what I suggest is after you reflash the images, unlock the device (if it's not already) and use fastboot (or Wug's) to flash CWM or TWRP. Now, you can root it, but you probably don't need it (and it'll unroot you regardless). Boot your phone, set it up (the updates won't wipe anything), download the update files, and put the IMM76Q update and the JRO03O update on your phone's SDcard.

For step 3, treat this like any other rom, but since it's an update, you don't really need to wipe a thing. Wipe cache/dalvik if you want, but simply "install" the zip from the SDcard. Once flashed, reboot the phone, make sure everything is working, then go back into recovery.

[NOTE]Please not that you may need to flash recovery manually in both steps 3 and 4. In general terms, there's a file in the stock system that "reflashes" stock recovery. In essense, this reverts your custom recovery to the stock recovery, which won't be useful for your needs (flashing the zips). You can avoid this in two ways--using the latest CWM and choosing the "yes" option when prompted (concerning disabling reflash) or by simply fastbooting it manually (or using Wug's to fastboot it manually). This is mentioned throughout this thread and the video, so if you have any trouble with it please consult those resources for clarification :).[/NOTE]

For step 4, follow the same procedures as you did in 2/3. Make sure the file is on your SDcard, install the zip from your SDcard, and reboot. That should be all it takes :).

[TIP]As with any OTA, this will unroot you. You can try using the OTA RootKeeper application, or alternatively, you can try flashing the SuperSU zip contained within post 2 of this thread.[/TIP]

Any comments/questions about this can be directed here; if it's regarding rooting, flashing, etc., please direct those comments/questions to the appropriate threads. If you have no idea about anything I just said, read my Don't Panic guide. :)

Happy updating :D.

[INFO]For those who missed it, we took a friend's Nexus, returned it to stock, and followed this guide to install the OTA. Here it is, with the video starting at 4:25:

[/INFO]

HUMONGOUS BIG UPDATE - JELLY BEAN IS OFFICIALLY OURS!

For those with a Galaxy Nexus, September 21 will be a day of infamy. It is the day Jelly Bean officially started rolling out to your device, giving you that sweet, somewhat savory butteriness. And Google Now. And all sorts of amazing.

Here are the official update instructions from Verizon:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/samsung_galaxy_nexus_instructions.pdf

However, if you're the impatient sort (like I am)...

MANUAL INSTALLATION OF THE OFFICIAL OTA​

[INFO]If you would like to manually install this update, you have two options depending on what version of 4.0.4 you are on. Please read the above to become generally familiar with what is going on, then proceed with the following.

If you are on IMM76K:
You need a custom recovery (so really, same as before) and this file, which is the official OTA zip. Basically: put this file on your SDcard, reboot into recovery, and then flash it. Nothing will wipe and you will be unrooted, just like before.

• Make sure you're stock, but with a custom recovery (so you'll need to unlock and flash that through fastboot or through a toolkit).
  • Download the JRO030 from IMM76K file, listed above.
  • Place that file on your SDcard.
  • Reboot into recovery through either adb or manually going to the bootloader.
  • Choose "install" or "install from zip" and find the update zip.
  • Flash it and reboot system. It will unroot you. If you want root, follow the instructions above in this very post. Enjoy :).

If you are on IMM76Q:
From what it appears, the official OTA is actually the leaked OTA. You can follow the instructions I wrote out originally, but in reality you are going to be starting with Step 4 (flashing the JRO030 zip). Basically, put the file on your SDcard, boot into your custom recovery, and flash it. Here is the link to the official OTA zip.

• Make sure you're stock, but with a custom recovery (so you'll need to unlock and flash that through fastboot or through a toolkit).
  • Download the JRO030 from IMM76Q file, listed above.
  • Place that file on your SDcard.
  • Reboot into recovery through either adb or manually going to the bootloader.
  • Choose "install" or "install from zip" and find the update zip.
  • Flash it and reboot system. It will unroot you. If you want root, follow the instructions above in this very post. Enjoy :).
[/INFO]

[NOTE]Many thanks to the folks at XDA, Droid-Life, and any others for pulling this down and figuring out what it takes to get everything together. Without them we'd be in the dark, so thanks![/NOTE]

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [OTA] Semi-Official Jelly Bean JRO03O for the Verizon GNex

General Tips & Tricks

[TIP]Manually Booting into the Bootloader:

1. Hold down the VOLUME UP, VOLUME DOWN, and POWER button simultaneously after the phone is powered down and is completely off.
  2. Use the VOLUME toggle to find "Recovery Mode."
  3. Press the POWER button to select the Recovery Mode.
[/TIP]

[TIP]So Dylan, I'm already rooted, rom'd, etc., but really want those new radios. How do I get them?

Well, you're in luck. A great member at Rootz put together a package for you. Simply flash it and you're good to go. Also check out zero neck's radio guide for more details and mirrors :).[/TIP]

[TIP]Now that I'm on 4.1.1, can I root?

Of course you can! Simply download this file, place it on your phone, reboot into recovery and flash it. When your phone reboots, update the binary. Then, go to the Play Store and update the app itself--SuperSU. You can also try this superuser zip--Superuser 3.1.3.

Also, here's a nice little guide of tricks to get your root back. Thanks rockymelboa![/TIP]

Last edited:

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
wohoo. do to my new work policy im going to need to stay stock :( once i get this all loaded back up can i re lock the bootloader without the phone flipping out on me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

wohoo. do to my new work policy im going to need to stay stock :( once i get this all loaded back up can i re lock the bootloader without the phone flipping out on me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2.

Yes. And it'll be unrooted, so there's that lol.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
ok that's what i thought. unrooted jelly bean is still better then laggy ICS

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Once I find the root/su package, I'll update the second post. It should be rooted with just the normal 4.1.1 root, but until someone does it can't be confirmed (yet lol).

Reactions: Ender0715

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Wow wow...they made a noticable difference! Went from 2 to 3 bars 4g, -113dBm to -103dBm and 27asu to 37asu

Reactions: dcastillo

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So if i unroot and take this update and re lock when i am done im assuming ill be able to take the OTA when it comes out?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

So if i unroot and take this update and re lock when i am done im assuming ill be able to take the OTA when it comes out?

If it comes out in a patch, no. You'd have to go back to IMM76Q.

FWIW, when this happened with IMM76K--it was leaked then rolled out a month later--nothing changed. That's not a guarantee that it'll be the same this go round, but just food for thought.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
universal search is still intact. wonder how google got around that one

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I'm on IMM76K about to update to Q and then JRO03O with these instructions. Would flashing back to K still require an update to Q before getting the OTA if it's different than JRO03O? Just want to clarify in case I somehow missed an OTA update to Q already.

jjt981

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, when this happened with IMM76K--it was leaked then rolled out a month later--nothing changed. That's not a guarantee that it'll be the same this go round, but just food for thought.
Ok great, and if i go ahead and put this on can i use wug's to go back to IMM76Q even if im not rooted?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm on IMM76K about to update to Q and then JRO03O with these instructions. Would flashing back to K still require an update to Q before getting the OTA if it's different than JRO03O? Just want to clarify in case I somehow missed an OTA update to Q already.

If it's different and isn't constructed like that, possible not. Check out the file names...see "from IMM76Q"? That means you must be on IMM76Q for it'll patch directly from there.

Ok great, and if i go ahead and put this on can i use wug's to go back to IMM76Q even if im not rooted?

I'm not sure if Wug's can do that--it probably will be able to--but we certainly can get you there manually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463