Verizon's horrible replacement phones

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Your were right just got my replacement and it was junk couldn't be activated had problems with the radio. Now they are sending me another one. What will be the problem on this one. I wish they would send me a different phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So my best friend got a replacement Nexus recently. Sitting them side-by-side, his had 2 bars of 4G and something like -93dBm and 32 ASU while my new-when-received phone had 2 bars of 3G and something like -103dBm and 1 ASU. I ran a bunch of speed tests and other data pull exercises and the speed was definitely noticeable. I have come to the conclusion that the phone itself was poorly designed and constructed (at least the CDMA version was). Alas, I am hoping that the GS4 will be a smashingly good device when it comes out and I am ready to upgrade again. Other than the weak radios, I have been pretty lucky with device #3 but the experience has been a little bit of a letdown. Overall, I still very much enjoy the GNex and I love the pure Google experience but, at the same time, I am not a rooter/flasher and am looking at the next device to be crisp and awesome out of the box. I chalk this up to a learning experience.

That being said, another friend of mine and my son have the same device and haven't had any problems. Weak radios on both counts, but both still on their original devices and seemingly happy with things.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just got my replacement for the replacement. It appears to be working alright but the radio still sucks. It always go in and out of service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cartersims

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement. It's not so good. I haven't made enough calls to know but connectivity sucks balls. They are sending me a new Sim. Can't wait for that not to work.

gilbe1vs

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been dealing with crap replacement phones since my first Droid incredible. I was then upgraded to the incredible 2, and now the Droid RAZR. I wish they would just send a new phone instead of the refurbished, as I think they stink!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
What I hate is they no longer include the battery or ac adapter. Now they only send you a crappy phone with scratches on the back of it. They used to send you a replacment phone with everything with it including the box.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement. It's not so good. I haven't made enough calls to know but connectivity sucks balls. They are sending me a new Sim. Can't wait for that not to work.

You can also pick up a new SIM card at the store.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Well update folks to my saga, I saw some users were given a s3 replacement for their nexus , so I gave Verizon one last phone call and they were able to do the same for me. The rep I talked to this time could not have been more helpful he was professional , honest about issues that the nexus had , and was able to get approval from the supervisor to get me the s3. I'm pretty darn happy at the moment .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well update folks to my saga, I saw some users were given a s3 replacement for their nexus , so I gave Verizon one last phone call and they were able to do the same for me. The rep I talked to this time could not have been more helpful he was professional , honest about issues that the nexus had , and was able to get approval from the supervisor to get me the s3. I'm pretty darn happy at the moment .

Is this normal for them to give out the S3?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It's not normal for them to give out a new model phone as a replacement unless you've had many issues with your current model. Over the last 3 years or so I've probably had a dozens different replacements with my lines and over 90% have been just fine, I can only remember two that were bad. Looks like I have good luck I guess.

tundradave24

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Is this normal for them to give out the S3?

No I don't think so the only reason I got them to send me one was I've only had my nexus 2 months and I'm on my 4th one all with issues , and I think I got lucky with the csr I talked to he was honest and went to bat with the supervisor for me to get approval . Also I was painfully nice , in my opinion they did what they should have done , why pay 200 for a phone on a contract that wold hold 4g or any signal .

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I'll tell you how Asurion goes. This will be my 5th device, and unfortunately, breaking #4 was all my fault (and I'm paying for it :().

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I'll tell you how Asurion goes. This will be my 5th device, and unfortunately, breaking #4 was all my fault (and I'm paying for it :().

I thought if u had asurion you pay the deductible and you get a new phone in the box. No cln. Did they change their policy?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought if u had asurion you pay the deductible and you get a new phone in the box. No cln. Did they change their policy?

Nope. Either new or CLN. Was told to inspect immediately. The rep said I had a better than 50 percent shot of it being new though.

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any problems with my replacements. They have always worked better than the original device.

The poor signal thing is because you have a nexus, can't blame it on the replacements :p

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

71CH

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If they send you a replacement phone, will they charge you if the phone you return to them is less than perfect. Such as a scratched screen.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If they send you a replacement phone, will they charge you if the phone you return to them is less than perfect. Such as a scratched screen.

I was told if they find damage they withhold the right to charge a fee, which, if I recall correctly, was $275. Hence I had them patch me through to Asurion.

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I was told if they find damage they withhold the right to charge a fee, which, if I recall correctly, was $275. Hence I had them patch me through to Asurion.

Unfortunately this is true, back when I had my thunderbolt I was having major signal issues about owning the phone for almost 7 months, I called and they sent me a cln phone no problem and I sent my old Tbolt back. About 5 days later my mom(as I am on her plan) noticed that there was a $275 charge to the bill and when she called on it they said it was because the Bolt I sent back had a scuff on one of the sides which was a sign of it being dropped which is what must have caused the signal issues. (I know what scuff they were talking about and it was from about 3 days after I got the phone, so it was not what was causing the problems) I immediately called them as I was not happy, and talked to them about it and how that was absolutely ridiculous to think that was causing the problems. After going through 2 people the third removed the charge from my account and said he was looking at a picture of the scuff on the phone VZW had taken and said it was absolutely uncalled for them to do that. Sorry that was long and really pointless, but moral of the story is, VZW will charge you for damn near anything when it comes to returns.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
No I don't think so the only reason I got them to send me one was I've only had my nexus 2 months and I'm on my 4th one all with issues , and I think I got lucky with the csr I talked to he was honest and went to bat with the supervisor for me to get approval . Also I was painfully nice , in my opinion they did what they should have done , why pay 200 for a phone on a contract that wold hold 4g or any signal .

Glad it worked for you! How is the reception compared to the Nexus?