Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default where is google play music stored?

Anyone know where Google play music is stored if you make music available offline? I've searched everywhere and can't find it. I am trying to use a different media player and it isn't finding any of my Google play music.

Just to be clear I have pinned all of my Google play music so I can listen to it offline. But nothing is in my music folder. Or any other folder for that matter, I've looked everywhere... does it download it to your device or temporarily cache it?
    Last edited by DizzyMaker; 08-31-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 5.0

Default Re: where is google play music stored?

Evening!

On my Transformer, the music is stored under /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music. All the files are present as mp3's, but the names of the music files are randomly numbered so you can't easily pull select music files off your device.

However, I just checked on my Galaxy S3, and the Play music files are nowhere to be found under that directory...or any other easily accessible one.

My guess is that the Play Music app has been updated and the music is now stored in a secure area on the phone instead of the virtual SD card partition. I've had the Transformer and Google Music on there for awhile, so I guess any updates to the app have not touched the original files.

What I'd do is download all your Google music onto a computer and use something like Windows Media Player to sync your music to the Nexus. (I know cables )

Also, I just found this app which allegedly finds your Play music and adds it to your "Music" folder, but you have to pay past 50 song moves. I'll try it out sometime tomorrow. Sounds like uninstalling and reinstalling Play Music might work according to them if you have Jelly Bean. Might be something to look into: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

Hope this helped a bit!
    Juaquadah Cox likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks... only problem is I have nearly 1000 songs and I have them all organized via genre, artist, title, ect. And when windows media player pulls my music its all completely unorganized.and I don't want to take the time to reorganize it just for wmp. I've even tried apps like double twist but because this phone doesn't support mass storage mode double twist doesn't recognize the device. So I'm stuck with Google play unless I want a bunch of unorganized music.

Love this phone but it is a bad media manager. I missmy zune software lol.

Thanks, I was also curious where the music was stored. Just gives numbers and not the original file name. Kinda weird.

But I love the Google Music Site / App. To me it is the only one that rivals WMP (Windows Media Player). I have been using the website and my Nexus 7 to make playlists. Then I use my Rezound (wish it enabled the Beats Chip) to play it on my radio. You download the playlist / album with the pin function. This makes Verizon happy.

The music files you selected to, "Keep on device" are located at: /data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music but you'll need a rooted phone to access this folder. Also, these songs are assigned a new file name so you'll need to listen to your songs to identify them.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Pretty sure its kept in a barn in Kansas.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Zune software is the best!

On your computer when you set up media player it really scrambles all of your songs? From zune my wmp has all of the song data perfectly.... at least very close.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Yeah I hear you. I like using my native music player on the samsung galaxy s3. Google player app "downloaded" song for a fee. But you can't access it on any other player, pinned or not, as it is actually stored in their cloud.

Can i ask what it means to have a rooted phone? Im having a hard time finding my song files as well. I was on the phone with motorola trying to figure it out and still nothing.. lol No surprise there.

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

I purchased one song from Google, and it was such a hassle to find it on my device I gave up and use Amazon to purchase music

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

first and last time I will ever buy music from Google for that very reason. Going back to Amazon where I should have stayed.

Those SOB's at Google have tagged or encrypted the mp3s somehow where they won't play. Wish that the Amazon app store was more complete and faster to update, so I could give them all of my application business as well.
    M1chelleW likes this.

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

They have to do this so that we can't take music we don't own and move it elsewhere. Without the system they wouldn't be able to offer all the music they offer. Its antipiracy tactics put into play by the labels. No streaming service will have unprotected music stored on your device. Notta one.
    If your so anti-Google might I ask why you use android?

Posted via Android Central App
    Current: Verizon Galaxy Nexus with CM10
    Past: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible
    Blackberry Bold, Blackberry Tour, Blackberry Curve
    Samsung Delve (what a joke but started it all)
    and a bunch of dumb phones

Global Posts
    364 Global Posts

They're taking about music the do own and paid for through Google play.
    If I pay $1 for an mp3 from Google, I want to be able to take that mp3 and put it wherever I like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You may go to play.google.com/music and there is an option there to download all your music that you own.
    Thanked by 2:
    M1chelleW likes this.

I probably wouldn't go through this trouble if i had an auxillary out in my car... ._.

Mine are stored in;

\Android\data\com.google.android.music\files\music

The files are named 1.mp3, 2.mp3 etc.

Purchasing a song does not mean that you own the song - in terms of intellectual property, what you've purchased is a license giving you the right to play the music for private entertainment, and any and all copies are expressly for your own entertainment. The copyright owner has the freedom to choose distribution method and limitations of the license, to include making media copies in, say, Google Play, inaccessible to the user. The rationale: you have a single copy in The Cloud available to you wherever you can access the Google Play app. You've received what you paid for, which is the ability to listen to the song whenever you want to. They have resorted to these measures because we the consumers have proven that we cannot be trusted not to share this license with our friends, families, perfect strangers across the Internet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bear_lx View Post
    I've even tried apps like double twist but because this phone doesn't support mass storage mode double twist doesn't recognize the device.
    If you turn on usb debugging your computer will treat the phone like a mass storage device instead of using mtp.

Buy from Amazon & Amazon Apps! I wasted a few $100 at Google play, I will waste no more money at Google Play.

TrooperBoob76 sounds like bull**** to me. I bought the right to listen to the music. The vendor crippling my right to listen is IMO (not legalez) a form of fraud upon the public. But fyckUS corporate-welfare companies write the laws, so maybe this theft of my money is perfectly legal. Buy something and get nothing or far less is fraud / bull****.
    Connie Romero likes this.

I just pay for the subscription to Google Play Music and I am happy. $8 a month and it has enough variety and depth to the catalog that I haven't become frustrated with it.

Just upload your purchased/owned tracks to the Google cloud and it integrates nicely with Google Play Music.

I've found that this way of paying for music is much preferable to the alternatives for someone like myself. I used to buy a lot of vinyl, and probably spent $500 or more a year on records. Sure, I "owned" them, but they take up a lot of space and are not portable.

Now I can spend about $100 a year and not worry about it. Even though the artists are not paid a large sum from this streaming stuff, at least I am not pirating music.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowdev View Post
    You may go to play.google.com/music and there is an option there to download all your music that you own.
    If you do this, does it still download as numbers?

Also, does anyone know if there is a free music software that you have the option of not downloading songs already on your computer?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/manager

just download the music manager and then use it to download your music library.

I am confused by Play Music. I'm in Canada and am just now able to buy music through Google Play.

So I bought an album. But I have been using Rocket Player to listen to music because it supports more file types than the Google Player, and am unable to play the new album with that player.

Is there any way to play music that I have bought through the Play Store using Rocket Player?

Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast