Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

Same. Only if its on ATT. I can't be on Sprint non existing LTE network.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

All the sprint hating is crazy y'all must think it takes a snap of a finger for lte smfh. I'll never EVER be with Verizon or att again data caps is the reason why u can't ever take advantage of 4g I'll take sprint unlimited any day even if its a couple mb slower than vzw

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jimrx7 
    jimrx7 likes this.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I dont get it. Is the S3 direct from Google?

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Hmmph that's the problem with carriers and nexus devices, if you don't buy it from Google it will never be a true nexus device. That's why I skipped the gnex for the s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Thats officially my plan also.

Quote Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
    I seriously doubt if Sprint's LTE network will ever be competitive with Verizon's, they don't have the resources. I was on Sprint for years, the bandwidth of their 3G network was 1/3rd of Verizon's 3G network. All reports on what little LTE they have say it's by far the lowest performing LTE network. The only hope is AT&T. By the time my contract ends next August I expect that AT&T will have a decent LTE footprint although I don't expect them to catch up to Verizon for another couple of years. Assuming that AT&T has a decent network I'll by my next Nexus phone directly from Google and skip the contract. I don't want any carrier in the way of updates.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Thats officially my plan also.
    I hope not because sprint lte is gonna kill att lte by next year. Just as fast speeds and no caps

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts

It is a bummer that it's taking a while to get the JB update from VZW, but on the VZW Nexus, rooted with the JB roms that are out there, I'm not missing anything. The best of both worlds. As long as a Nexus device is available on VZW, I will stay, root and not look back. The JB roms that are out there are better or will be improved faster than anything VZW or even Google will provide.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I dont know why I have Verizon. I switched from Sprint to goto Verizon specifically for this phone.

I just saw on youtube that people are getting EXCELLENT speeds on t mobile 4g. I live in NYC so suspect my speeds would be just as good.

I dont know why Im tolerating this non sense with Verizon when I can get a tmobile with a prepaid setup and get updates the day they come out, high 4g speeds and a decent prepaid plan. Might I also mention NO CONTRACT.

What am I missing? As long as I can get some service when Im snowboarding then Im considering the switch. There MUST be something Im not considering.

Sprint sucks by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    I hope not because sprint lte is gonna kill att lte by next year. Just as fast speeds and no caps

Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

I dont get it. Is the S3 direct from Google?
    No. Only the unlocked, GSM version of the Galaxy Nexus, which you buy direct from Google's Play Store. Only a Nexus is available direct from Google. Nexus phones are also available from the carriers, but...

Anything you buy from a carrier store or order from a carrier website (in particular Verizon or Sprint), will have some carrier influence: either bloatware or skins, or in the case of a Nexus device, delays in getting updates to the latest version of Android, despite the fact that the unlocked GSM version gets it right away.

If you buy a Nexus device from a carrier, be prepared to root and apply a ROM if you don't want to wait (possibly months) for an update.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5

To me, it does sound a bit annoying at first that the Verizon Nexus takes longer to get updated, but then I think, "Who am I kidding? My phone is rooted and I'll have a ROM on it way faster than any official releases." And then I'm like, "Whatever."

Note: This is NOT meant to be an argument for rooting. I am merely stating my own position in the matter.

I'm as annoyed as just about all the people who have posted here at Verizon. I was hoping the Nexus phone would provide updates quickly-hasnt really turned out that way. I've generally been a purist and have not modified the phone because I am nervous I'm going to brick or break it. TO be honest, the true power in this phone is twofold:
    1-Verizon's network is arguably the best out there.
    2-While their updates are so frustrating slow, you have the ability to tinker with it and flash what you want on it.

I've not taken advantage of option two-I'm serious thinking about finding out how to do this-I think I saw a guide from Dmmark somewhere and thats probably the best route. I feel like a dunce but I dont understand all the rooting and such and dont feel like setting my phone back to factory default either (also lazy).
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

now that Sprint has officially confirmed the OTA Jelly Bean update...

is Verizon even working on getting OTA Jelly Bean released?

it sure feels like those six VZW employees are on vacation right now.

I have sprint but I've been reading your comments and you all have to realize they need to test products. I know it can be annoying waiting but I'm glad Verizon always gets updated first because I get to sit back and root until all the kinks are complained about. O by the way sprint gave away FREE 2100mah batteries for galaxy nexus owners. :] dueces.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I dont know why I have Verizon. I switched from Sprint to goto Verizon specifically for this phone.

I just saw on youtube that people are getting EXCELLENT speeds on t mobile 4g. I live in NYC so suspect my speeds would be just as good.

I dont know why Im tolerating this non sense with Verizon when I can get a tmobile with a prepaid setup and get updates the day they come out, high 4g speeds and a decent prepaid plan. Might I also mention NO CONTRACT.

What am I missing? As long as I can get some service when Im snowboarding then Im considering the switch. There MUST be something Im not considering.

Sprint sucks by the way.
    Vzw blows though

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by DIPNINANOUT View Post
    I have sprint but I've been reading your comments and you all have to realize they need to test products. I know it can be annoying waiting but I'm glad Verizon always gets updated first because I get to sit back and root until all the kinks are complained about. O by the way sprint gave away FREE 2100mah batteries for galaxy nexus owners. :] dueces.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    But sprint sucks though lol

They both suck. End.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

No u and vzw blows lol

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

You and I are mental twins. Exactly how I think and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyro77 View Post
    I'm as annoyed as just about all the people who have posted here at Verizon. I was hoping the Nexus phone would provide updates quickly-hasnt really turned out that way. I've generally been a purist and have not modified the phone because I am nervous I'm going to brick or break it. TO be honest, the true power in this phone is twofold:
    2-While their updates are so frustrating slow, you have the ability to tinker with it and flash what you want on it.

I've not taken advantage of option two-I'm serious thinking about finding out how to do this-I think I saw a guide from Dmmark somewhere and thats probably the best route. I feel like a dunce but I dont understand all the rooting and such and dont feel like setting my phone back to factory default either (also lazy).
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyro77 View Post

Don't Panic. Start there then read the unlocking guides. Or read them in tandem. I'll be there to help .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    But sprint sucks though lol

agreed... Sprint 3G coverage is bad(but not as bad as the worst one, T-Mobile)
    Sprint 4G is about as easy to find as Romney's tax returns between 1997 and 2005.
    (particulary 2003-2004)

but if a sucky Sprint can manage to squeeze OTA jelly bean
    out so "qucikly" what does that say about Verizon?
    msndrstood likes this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    Sprint 4G is about as easy to find as Romney's tax returns between 1997 and 2005.
    (particulary 2003-2004)

That they take their time approving updates

(particulary 2003-2004)

Lol. Political references. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

(particulary 2003-2004)

I think the real answer here is you should of went with TMobile or AT & T and got the GSM version and you would be first in line

Sprint/Verizon will always hold up an update with their proprietary files and extensive internal testing.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Everything else being equal I would switch to another carrier based on how fast they give me the latest os. But you know what? Everything else is not equal. I do not base my choice of network on the speed of os updates. I base it on coverage where I live and travel.
    Paul627g and dcastillo like this.
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyTop View Post
    Everything else being equal I would switch to another carrier based on how fast they give me the latest os. But you know what? Everything else is not equal. I do not base my choice of network on the speed of os updates. I base it on coverage where I live and travel.
    Yup. You should see the signal comparison between my Verizon GN and my fiance's Sprint GN in the same exact location. That's why I stick with Big Red, at least until the next Nexus is released.

Paul627g likes this.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

They found them and are holding them hostage for 1 million bucks......The tax returns I am referrign too. The 3g/4g Sprint is still no where to be found. We need the guy who found the tax returns to find Sprint.

(particulary 2003-2004)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast