Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 74 of 74
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #51  
    evperry's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    What are they testing????? If the GSM one works then fire up the CDMA..

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I think the real answer here is you should of went with TMobile or AT & T and got the GSM version and you would be first in line

    Sprint/Verizon will always hold up an update with their proprietary files and extensive internal testing.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    What are they testing????? If the GSM one works then fire up the CDMA..
    Your guess is as good as mine

    Only thing I can gather is once they add in their custom/locked down proprietary files they need to test them out for a while to fix any bugs that are created. Otherwise its just a bunch of smoke and mirrors on their part in my book.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  3. #53  

    Default

    A part of me really loves the fact that it gets pointed out time and time again by failing yet another litmus test. I hope they continue to get schooled by the other guys so that they actually start caring more about their customer.
  4. #54  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by af250xxl View Post
    agreed... Sprint 3G coverage is bad(but not as bad as the worst one, T-Mobile)
    Sprint 4G is about as easy to find as Romney's tax returns between 1997 and 2005.
    (particulary 2003-2004)

    but if a sucky Sprint can manage to squeeze OTA jelly bean
    out so "qucikly" what does that say about Verizon?
    I was being sarcastic buddy lol sprint is the shiiii where I'm at full citywide wimax and decent 3g

    Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
  5. #55  
    evperry's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    Tmobile is looking more and more interesting every day.

    Quote Originally Posted by yosteve View Post
    A part of me really loves the fact that it gets pointed out time and time again by failing yet another litmus test. I hope they continue to get schooled by the other guys so that they actually start caring more about their customer.
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    So my friend has a galaxy nexus from sprint here in Vegas and he just got his update
    Why did I go Verizon? Better coverage that's why. But damn these updates take forever
  7. #57  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slik6996 View Post
    So my friend has a galaxy nexus from sprint here in Vegas and he just got his update
    Why did I go Verizon? Better coverage that's why. But damn these updates take forever
    I just forced my fiancee's into getting it

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    2defmouze likes this.
  8. #58  

    Default

    It sucks that we have to wait for the updates as long as we do. I know it's not for everyone but I've just resorted to flashing the test build of Jelly bean. I'll say this much, it's a great update and haven't run into any problems.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  9. #59  
    slave2theaxe's Avatar

    Posts
    152 Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean 4.2.1

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    Quote Originally Posted by badkitties View Post
    I guess this means Verizon Wireless has officially ditched current Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners and moving on?
    Quote Originally Posted by badkitties View Post
    'm just mad that VZ doesn't seem to care that
    a third-rate cell carrier like Sprint is getting OTA JB to its customers first.
    Umm...if memory serves, Sprint GNex got the 4.0.4 update before us as well...

    This means nothing
  10. #60  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    Quote Originally Posted by slave2theaxe View Post
    Umm...if memory serves, Sprint GNex got the 4.0.4 update before us as well...

    This means nothing
    I believe that's correct.
  11. #61  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    What are they testing????? If the GSM one works then fire up the CDMA..
    Since the new update includes new radios, that is one thing they are testing.

    If updates are a reason to switch carriers than root the phone. You will have updates much faster and tons of options to make your phone better than stock.

    You would switch carriers BEFORE rooting? Doesn't make sense. If you take 30 minutes to do it right, root is simple and safe and their are to of people around to help you if you run into a problem.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I thought I loved my Q :o ....... I think I love my curve ...... I hope I'll love my Incredible!
  12. #62  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FramCire View Post
    Since the new update includes new radios, that is one thing they are testing.

    If updates are a reason to switch carriers than root the phone. You will have updates much faster and tons of options to make your phone better than stock.

    You would switch carriers BEFORE rooting? Doesn't make sense. If you take 30 minutes to do it right, root is simple and safe and their are to of people around to help you if you run into a problem.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Not everyone wants to root. Your best and only choice if you want updates quick and on time is an unlocked GSM version. And that will never change. So don't expect one either. Will never happen ever with CDMA locked down garbage.
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Se

    Ya trust me your better off running the GNex on Verizon than on Sprint...

    At least Verizon's GNex has some AOSP support, Sprint GNex has NONE.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  14. #64  
    menschmaschine5's Avatar

    Posts
    386 Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    I was being sarcastic buddy lol sprint is the shiiii where I'm at full citywide wimax and decent 3g

    Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2
    I'm sure Sprint's great in certain urban areas. Also, WiMax is getting phased out in favor of LTE, and Sprint's LTE network is pretty small.

    No one gets good coverage in my neighborhood, but I get much better coverage in northern Ohio in general than my friends on other carriers. Very few people use Sprint and T-Mobile out here, their coverage is kind of a joke.
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    I'm a bit disappointed in not getting the update fast because it was a selling point for me to purchase this phone. But I can't get too mad a Verizon because I get the service I pay for. I get a strong cell signal almost anywhere I go and my 4G speed is faster then my home cable internet.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  16. #66  
    bigdaddytee's Avatar

    Posts
    703 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    I may be mistaken, but here goes. Verizon's phones are currently 3G (CDMA) and 4G (LTE). As they continue to build out the LTE network, they are also preparing to move to VoLTE (voice over LTE). Currently, the phones require CDMA for voice. Once VoLTE is implemented, the only radios in Verizon phones will be 4G LTE.
    LTE is also proprietary, like CDMA, but there is hope that Google may become a licensee, thus allowing them to treat LTE phones like GSM phones are currently, that is, Google doesn't have to wait on the carriers to ensure compatibility, they can do so themselves, pre release.

    Anyone? Am I in the ballpark?

    Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515
  17. #67  
    slave2theaxe's Avatar

    Posts
    152 Posts
    ROM
    MMuzzy's Jelly Bean 4.2.1

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by NurdCore View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in not getting the update fast because it was a selling point for me to purchase this phone.
    I think we are all getting a little spoiled here.

    Not trying to pick on you specifically, but I see this comment a lot. You have to out things into perspective when talking about the timeliness of updates.

    Name one phone released around the same timeframe that has received the same amount or more updates than the GNex has...

    The fact of the matter is, you ARE receiving quick updates.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  18. #68  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    No doubt. The carriers underestimated the demand for data and the progress of phone technology. They got caught with their shorts down providing "unlimited" data and had to regroup to figure out how to support all the demand.

    Plus, they want to cash-in any way they can. Unlimited data was fine when people had feature phones that barely used any data. Once phones got smarter and more demanding, the carriers' networks weren't equipped to handle it. They had to scramble to upgrade the infrastructure ($$$$$). Sprint (and now T-Mobile) can get away with it because they have fewer subscribers. Verizon and AT&T can't afford to let all of their subscribers go hog-wild with data. Their networks would be brought to their knees. Hence, shared data plans (with caps) and subtle increases in pricing.
    No sprint can have unlimited data because they are not starving for spectrum like att and tmo is. Verizon can most surely handle unlimited but they saw they can milk they customers with shared data and get more cash. Att is doing it to save spectrum

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
  19. #69  
    Insp_Gadget's Avatar
    Inspector Gadget

    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    No sprint can have unlimited data because they are not starving for spectrum like att and tmo is. Verizon can most surely handle unlimited but they saw they can milk they customers with shared data and get more cash. Att is doing it to save spectrum

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Same difference. If Sprint had the number of subscribers that AT&T or Verizon have (essentially double what Sprint has now), then Sprint (and T-Mobile) would be hurting just as much for available spectrum to support all of the users with unlimited data. Regardless of how you spin it, it comes down to supply vs demand of available resources. Shared data is a way for the carriers to give with one hand and take away with the other.

    Also, if it is truly a matter of AT&T and T-Mobile "starving" for spectrum, as you say, then in the case of T-Mobile, how do you explain their ability to offer unlimited data? I understand their reasons for doing it. (It's a competitive strategy to try to gain more users.) But if they are starving for spectrum, then it would be network suicide to offer unlimited data, UNLESS they simply don't have enough customers for it to matter (which is the point I was making in the first place). I don't believe spectrum is as much of an issue as the number of customers (or lack thereof) they have using the spectrum.

    I don't discount greed as a factor in the decision to go with shared data plans. I'm sure Verizon and AT&T have figured out how to make more money from it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it... especially since they're already in the lead. Believe me, they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a cost-cutting and profit-sweetening measure, to be sure.
    --Inspector Gadget

    Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  20. #70  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Sprint is 3rd not 5th sprint has like 7o million customers att is only up by like 10 million and the customers wasn't even half the problem its that failed deal and the type if spectrum they own also

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
  21. #71  
    Insp_Gadget's Avatar
    Inspector Gadget

    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Sprint is 3rd not 5th sprint has like 7o million customers att is only up by like 10 million and the customers wasn't even half the problem its that failed deal and the type if spectrum they own also

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    Who said anything about 5th place? I'm well aware that Sprint is 3rd in subscriber numbers. I said Sprint has half as many subscribers (at about 55 million vs 109 million for Verizon and 103 million for AT&T). Source:

    I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, but it's been pretty common knowledge that Verizon and AT&T have double the subscribers of Sprint.
    --Inspector Gadget

    Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  22. #72  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    I got my numbers from the web too lol I just had the link in my old phone but that's common knowledge even wiki knows it lol but regardless that's not the reason for att spectrum crunch and of course they both are in the lead vzw and att was once ONE whole company hence the same shoddy plans

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
  23. #73  
    Insp_Gadget's Avatar
    Inspector Gadget

    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    I got my numbers from the web too lol I just had the link in my old phone but that's common knowledge even wiki knows it lol but regardless that's not the reason for att spectrum crunch and of course they both are in the lead vzw and att was once ONE whole company hence the same shoddy plans

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    You didn't answer my question. Who said anything about 5th place? As for spectrum crunch, I'm sure there are constraints, based on the subscriber base. I still contend that the real reason for the shared data plans has more to do with profits than limited spectrum.
    --Inspector Gadget

    Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
  24. #74  
    Mellimel22's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,466 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

    Default Re: Sprint Galaxy Nexus gets official OTA Jelly Bean tomorrow (Sep 6)

    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    You didn't answer my question. Who said anything about 5th place? As for spectrum crunch, I'm sure there are constraints, based on the subscriber base. I still contend that the real reason for the shared data plans has more to do with profits than limited spectrum.
    No I agree with u on that fact that att and vzw a bunch of green eyed snakes lol jk but they are tweakin on this shared data bull

    Sent from my Unlimited Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

B